Options

Fruit Photography - Sourcing Out of Season Fruit

DonColoradoDonColorado Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited March 2, 2009 in Technique
I've got an assignment to shoot close up's of a product with fresh fruit in the images for a client. The selection of fruits includes fruit out of season like; peaches, apricots, elderberries, plums, pumpkin, etc. Client wants the images in the next two months.

Any ideas about sourcing out of season fruit? Has anyone seen any artificial fruit that will pass for real fruit?

Welcome thoughts and ideas.

DonColorado

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Out of season
    Most gourmet groceries will have fruit that is imported that will work. It might have a blemish but you can photoshop it pretty.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    How do you determined the price of a commisioned job like this? Do you charge for time and prints (files)? or just charge for your time?

Hope you share some of your results. Good luck with the project and sorry for the semi-hijack.

Going to your local weekly farmers market might help find some of your subjects that are not found at the grocery. Also look at non-american groceries in case.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    I've got an assignment to shoot close up's of a product with fresh fruit in the images for a client. The selection of fruits includes fruit out of season like; peaches, apricots, elderberries, plums, pumpkin, etc. Client wants the images in the next two months.

Any ideas about sourcing out of season fruit? Has anyone seen any artificial fruit that will pass for real fruit?

Welcome thoughts and ideas.

DonColorado

Really nice artificial fruit will look real.....but you will noit find it at wallymart......try some of the bertter hobby shops or ask a well know florist or interior decorator.....I have apples and peaches that looked & felt so real people were grabbing and biting into it.....if memory serves me well it was wax (and the peaches had fuzz) and not plastic
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,836 moderator
    edited February 27, 2009
    You might start with a company like this:

http://www.decorcentral.com/fake-fruit/

Choose the assortment, for example, and then examine and test shoot to determine suitability for the project. Anything that doesn't look photographically correct substitute from here:

http://www.displayit-info.com/food/fruit.html (Much more expensive)

You might still have to "dress" the objects for use.

It is not unusual for a large commercial photographic studio to have hundreds invested in fake foods and sometimes those things are available for rental.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2009
    Out of Season Fruit
    Great suggestions.............thank you all........this offers me some options and I really appreciate it! :D

DonColorado
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2009
    poker wrote:
    How do you determined the price of a commisioned job like this? Do you charge for time and prints (files)? or just charge for your time?

For assignment work like this I charge a higher rate for shoot time, a lower rate for post-processing time and then provide digital files on a non-exclusive basis for the client at no additional charge. Prints or merchandise are priced in the proof gallery on Smug Mug from which the client may order.

DonColorado
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You might start with a company like this:

http://www.decorcentral.com/fake-fruit/

Choose the assortment, for example, and then examine and test shoot to determine suitability for the project. Anything that doesn't look photographically correct substitute from here:

http://www.displayit-info.com/food/fruit.html (Much more expensive)

You might still have to "dress" the objects for use.

It is not unusual for a large commercial photographic studio to have hundreds invested in fake foods and sometimes those things are available for rental.

Hi Ziggy,

Not to high jack this thread, but after looking at these web sites, I feel the need to comment: :D

Am I the only one who thinks the product photography on both sites is mediocre at best with the extractions being unacceptable?

Sam
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,836 moderator
    edited February 28, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Ziggy,

Not to high jack this thread, but after looking at these web sites, I feel the need to comment: :D

Am I the only one who thinks the product photography on both sites is mediocre at best with the extractions being unacceptable?

Sam

Unfortunately, you see a lot of really bad product photography on the Internet because most places don't commit the proper resources for good images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    Bad Product Photography - On Websites
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Unfortunately, you see a lot of really bad product photography on the Internet because most places don't commit the proper resources for good images.

Very good point, yes poor websites are everywhere. I'd like to explore this more, so will start a new topic on it, rather than go off topic here.

DonColorado
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 2, 2009
    Don

If your phony fruit looks too shiny and plastic give them a shot of dulling spray. you can buy an aerosol can at a local art supply store