Options

Proper exposure.

du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
edited March 2, 2009 in Technique
So, I've been struggling to see what proper exposure looks like. I've taken shots that look good, but then someone who knows will say "it looks a stop underexposed." I can usually tell what is overexposed, but not necessarily what is underexposed.

So, last night, I was playing around with an umbrella and a Vivitar 283. (My wife agreed to model). I took a shot or two that I know was overexposed, a few that I think were good (maybe), and probably a few that were underexposed. So, I'm going to post a few, and if anyone cares to comment on if they are good, under or over, please do. I'd really like to learn what it should look like.

481632092_D3EEM-M.jpg

481632069_Juro6-M.jpg

481632083_6V3hm-M.jpg

481632060_tCbK8-M.jpg

481632054_rBaz8-M.jpg

Thanks!
H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff

Comments

• Options
    chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    du8die wrote:
    So, I've been struggling to see what proper exposure looks like. I've taken shots that look good, but then someone who knows will say "it looks a stop underexposed." I can usually tell what is overexposed, but not necessarily what is underexposed.

So, last night, I was playing around with an umbrella and a Vivitar 283. (My wife agreed to model). I took a shot or two that I know was overexposed, a few that I think were good (maybe), and probably a few that were underexposed. So, I'm going to post a few, and if anyone cares to comment on if they are good, under or over, please do. I'd really like to learn what it should look like.

Thanks!

...looks like door #2 to me...she looks great!

cg
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    #1 looks a touch under exposed

#2 looks about right

#3 looks over exposed

#4 looks a touch under exposed

#5 is different..parts are well exposed and parts are underexposed due to the angle of the light. But this is more a balance issue. If you had reflector on the other side, then it may have solved that issue.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    Thank you both. I appreciate it. I think I was leaning those same ways.

She's the reflector stand, so I had to make a few concessions on some of these.

mwink.gif

Thanks,
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    1. Under-exposed
    2. This is the winner as far as exposure goes. Angle of light is not the best choice - a little flat. #1 is better in this respect.
    3. About a stop (maybe more) over-exposed. Her left side is just about completely blown.
    4. About 1/2 to 2/3 under-exposed.
    5. Maybe a touch over-exposed. I would move the light a touch further away from your model (to counter rapid light falloff) and adjust the power appropriately.
    Of course, a reflector (or second light) will counter light fall-off. deal.gif