Options

DSS #20 : Possible entries ?

TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited March 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Wasn't sure about what to do for this one (had no really interesting idea) but I've been told that some of this pictures may fit the theme (thanks Gail aka The Curious Camel :) ). There were all taken during a session last week in Verdun - a city famous for its WWI battle but also for peace now (in fact I had to spend a few hours there waiting for my car to be repaired...). I had some luck to be there when the light became a bit more interesting.

I think these 3 might fit the theme better. What do you think ?

#1 The World Peace Center - Verdun
483675119_XDR5B-M.jpg

#2 Verdun - Capital city of peace
483676457_JrTme-M.jpg

#3 Verdun - Capital city of peace (stitched from 3 different shots)
483673565_tAdk7-M-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. Any critique welcome :)
Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Oooo.... gorgeous as usual! (And I have to ask - do you intend for your handle to be pronounced in Welsh? Because that's how I keep reading it and have been wondering the story behind it for ages!!!! :D)

They're all really nice, but I think I like #3 the best. The only thing is perhaps it could use straightening (looks to me like it's tilting to the right), and I wonder how it would look with that light bit of extra path on the left hand side cropped out? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Hi Sam, glad you posted your shots.

I really like three and agree with divamum that it needs straighted and maybe curves or levels adjustments to bighten up a tiny bit.

All of them are beautiful but I like three best.

Peace, gail
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    3 if you sharpen it up a bit
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 2, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with all of the above.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks for looking and commenting !

Here is #3 with distorsion corrected, a slight curves adjustment and sharpening :
    483802229_cG6vZ-M-1.jpg

I did not include more of the left street because of a white van just passing there and disturbing the view.

divamum wrote:
    And I have to ask - do you intend for your handle to be pronounced in Welsh? Because that's how I keep reading it and have been wondering the story behind it for ages!!!! :D

In fact... Years ago I was looking for a nickname to be used in online video games. Since I'm a great fan of celtic mythology and lore I picked up this Welsh expression "Tylwydd Teg" (meaning the fairy people of Wales). I only kept tylwydd because I found it sounded good (at least in french) and rather unusual (I don't like screen names with numbers and signs). I'm not even sure about the right pronounciation. But I kept this name and used it in 2D/3D forums, as well as in many other things... I'm afraid there's no other (and more interesting) story behind ! :D

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 for me. it gives me that "im a prince coming home to my country retreat feel".....hahaha
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    Tylwydd wrote:
    Thanks for looking and commenting !

In fact... Years ago I was looking for a nickname to be used in online video games. Since I'm a great fan of celtic mythology and lore I picked up this Welsh expression "Tylwydd Teg" (meaning the fairy people of Wales). I only kept tylwydd because I found it sounded good (at least in french) and rather unusual (I don't like screen names with numbers and signs). I'm not even sure about the right pronounciation. But I kept this name and used it in 2D/3D forums, as well as in many other things... I'm afraid there's no other (and more interesting) story behind ! :D

Ha! And here I was thinking you might be from "Duluth" and just being clever in your spelling! Thanks for the explanation :D
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ha! And here I was thinking you might be from "Duluth" and just being clever in your spelling! Thanks for the explanation :D

And I kept thinking it was "Tolouse" with a lisp. rolleyes1.gif

Oh, and, uh...#3. :D
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 for me. it gives me that "im a prince coming home to my country retreat feel".....hahaha

I don't agree. It's a nice shot of a nice place, but #1 really just doesn't move me at all. The light on #3, however, is very dramatic. I think #3 is a much more powerful photograph. And your going to need something special because the competition for this one should be rough.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Another vote for #3.
    Whilst I like #1, I agree with Justiceiro #3 is the more dramatic image.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    Btw, Sam, although I am NOT a Welsh speaker (or anything like) I'm pretty sure the Welsh pronunciation would be something like:

Tuh-loo-uhth (y= uh as in "cut" w= oo and dd= voiced th as in "they")

:D
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:

ok, now I am curious about the pronunciation(?) ....sigh
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    ok, now I am curious about the pronunciation(?) ....sigh

See post immediately above yours... :D
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #3 is the most dramatic of the lot. But I keep getting distracted by the really bright section of the sky. Is it possible to tone some of that down just a little? It looks blown out on my monitor.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments ! ANd for the pronounciation too (now I know how my screen name sounds lol)

Shooting directly to the sun blows out some parts of the sky indeed. Here are some minor adjustment (not to loose the contrast of the sky) :
    484367148_zj696-M.jpg

Slightly better like this ?