Weekly Assignment #110: Extreme BW

2»

Comments

• sfdavissfdavis Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks Steve, great entry! thumb.gif
    The reason I personally prefer to throw a B&W or Channel Mixer adj layer into the mix is that I can play with those channels and see which one (or what mix) gives the best results.

Normally, I would do a B&W layer but in this case, most of the detail was in the red channel so I just used it.

It was very hard to find an image that would look good in just black and white. I think you need some texture like my gorilla's fur or the jeans in your shot.

Steve
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Come on, do you have another other picture? mwink.gif

Suppose I could... But now you're cutting into my homework time...:D

Original:
    422987956_dV3xm-L-1.jpg

XBW: (Adjustments>Black & White, Posterize, Slider adjustment to 2, save, upload)
    484034741_dhmdC-L.jpg

Better Nikolai?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Suppose I could... But now you're cutting into my homework time...:D
    Original:
    XBW: (Adjustments>Black & White, Posterize, Slider adjustment to 2, save, upload)
    Better Nikolai?
    Much! thumb.gif
    PS
    Homework is for whussies mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Much! thumb.gif
    PS
    Homework is for whussies mwink.gif

Hahaha...as that may be, they determine my grade, and I'm paying a LOT of money to get the education.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Karin,
    thank you! thumb.gif
    While going for extreme I think it's important to keep the spirit of original picture. The lack of nose in XBW version makes it look skull-like and generally non-pleasant for a western human eye. ne_nau.gif
    Yeah, I guess that's not too flattering! I tried working with it some more, but got nowhere, so I'm going to try another...is this any better, I'm not sure I have a handle on this, but I'm trying!

484181486_u3H4D-M.jpg

484181517_XTeCp-M.jpg
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited March 2, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Yeah, I guess that's not too flattering! I tried working with it some more, but got nowhere, so I'm going to try another...is this any better, I'm not sure I have a handle on this, but I'm trying!
    Interesting take... mwink.gifthumb.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Long time, no assignment for me...

Original:
    484930202_4g83M-L.jpg

Extreme B&W:
    484930446_sJRf2-L.jpg

I kind of like it... Basic conversion: Curves, B&W, then Posterize.
    Chris
    edited March 4, 2009
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Long time, no assignment for me...
    Original:
    Extreme B&W:
    I kind of like it... Basic conversion: Curves, B&W, then Posterize.
    Thanks Chris! thumb.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you Lee! thumb.gif
    FWIW, you broke a few major rules of "Car Photography 101" with this shot, but hey, it was not the target of *this* class...mwink.gif

Show me a photographer who never breaks the rules and I'll show you an unbroken string of exceedingly average photographs. mwink.gif:D

Seriously, though. . . . Aside from the trees growing out of the roof, please tell me which other rules I've broken. But, before you begin, don't mention a lack of a polarizing filter: I used one, but when I'd turn it to remove one reflection, it'd reveal another. It was a matter of picking and choosing which reflection was less offensive.

By the way, I shot this in Newbury Park - your back yard! If my partner hadn't needed to get home and I hadn't already made plans for later in the day - and I'd had your phone number - I'd've paid you a visit. Prearranged, of course! thumb.gif

Thank you for the accepting my submission. In all honesty, I find the black and white version more exciting. mwink.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited March 4, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Seriously, though. . . . Aside from the trees growing out of the roof, please tell me which other rules I've broken. But, before you begin, don't mention a lack of a polarizing filter: I used one, but when I'd turn it to remove one reflection, it'd reveal another. It was a matter of picking and choosing which reflection was less offensive.
    Stop by, and I'll tell ya in person :-)
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I can't believe I've never been to this particular forum O_o I love these assignments. Anyway, this is my first time converting this way, so I may have gone overboard...

384874340_x7FrB-L.jpg

485699494_TkMUL-L.jpg

Photoshop > Grayscale > Adjustment: Brightness ^ and Contrast ^
    > Threshold to the left
    edited March 5, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    I can't believe I've never been to this particular forum O_o I love these assignments. Anyway, this is my first time converting this way, so I may have gone overboard...
    Photoshop > Grayscale > Adjustment: Brightness ^ and Contrast ^
    > Threshold to the left
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    I personally would like to see just a tad more details on the girls face, but it's definitely a judgement call deal.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Stop by, and I'll tell ya in person :-)

Next time I'm out that way. . . . Whenever that may be. ne_nau.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    It's been a few weeks, but this one was so easy to do in a few minutes, I figured what the heck. :D
    So, there's 4 of 'em. mwink.gif
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetic, sans-serif][/FONT]
    #1:[FONT=Arial, Helvetic, sans-serif][/FONT] Melissa McClelland on the Ships N Dip cruise in February.
    486668752_d63S5-L.jpg486671119_RrmjV-S.jpg

#2 One of my friends. No, she's not fond of having her picture taken.rolleyes1.gif
    (deleted per request)

#3 Another friend, and given the time of year, the necklace seems appropriate.
    (deleted per request)

(Wife and I agree on #3: the XBW is better than the color!)

Edit: forgot to add how it was done! Convert to greyscale, turn up contrast all the way and play with brightness to get a good image. Convert to indexed color scheme, 2 colors. Done, guaranteed 2 color image!
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
    edited March 7, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    It's been a few weeks, but this one was so easy to do in a few minutes, I figured what the heck. :D
    So, there's 4 of 'em. mwink.gif
    Hey Nate,
    Reading is hard, huh mwink.gif ...rolleyes1.gif

From the OP: please share your own description of how you did yours... Multiple entries are OK, provided the treatments are different.
    edited March 7, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hey Nate,
    Reading is hard, huh mwink.gif ...rolleyes1.gif

From the OP: please share your own description of how you did yours... Multiple entries are OK, provided the treatments are different.

Sorry I missed the point of the assignment for you. I also admit, having read your complaint twice, it still took a moment to catch the point of it. I will delete the additional entries.
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
    edited March 7, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Sorry I missed the point of the assignment for you. I also admit, having read your complaint twice, it still took a moment to catch the point of it. I will delete the additional entries.
    Just post a new "correct" one, and don't forget the recipe :-) mwink.gif
    edited March 8, 2009
    Working on new recipes.... Just like with cooking, I usually don't use one, and then I tend to almost immediately forget what it was I did. But you know, they almost always come out good! Must be doing something right.

Replacements of the two previous included, this time with new effects for both.

#2_1 Good friend, not happy with shots of herself.
    Recipe: Threshold (colors menu in GIMP), almost by itself, I think (my memory is fading by the second here, so bear with me).
    487693690_Pbo8E-L.jpg486671244_TzMo4-S.jpg

#3_1 Another good friend, not so unhappy with pictures of himself. Appropriate necklace.
    Recipe: Desaturate with Hue-Saturation slider at minimum level. Levels with upper and lower bounds set really close to each other. Posterize to make sure it was only 2 colors. (It was pretty close to start, but was not a guaranteed result, so...)
    487693818_payfQ-L.jpg486671606_cw5Un-S.jpg

There! Hopefully this more fully meets the intent of the assignment.wings.gif
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

edited March 8, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Working on new recipes.... Just like with cooking, I usually don't use one, and then I tend to almost immediately forget what it was I did. But you know, they almost always come out good! Must be doing something right.

Replacements of the two previous included, this time with new effects for both.

#2_1 Good friend, not happy with shots of herself.
    Recipe: Threshold (colors menu in GIMP), almost by itself, I think (my memory is fading by the second here, so bear with me).

#3_1 Another good friend, not so unhappy with pictures of himself. Appropriate necklace.
    Recipe: Desaturate with Hue-Saturation slider at minimum level. Levels with upper and lower bounds set really close to each other. Posterize to make sure it was only 2 colors. (It was pretty close to start, but was not a guaranteed result, so...)

There! Hopefully this more fully meets the intent of the assignment.wings.gif
    Thanks, Nate, good entries, nice recipies! thumb.gif
  • PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    This was an eye-opening assignment for me, thanks, Nikolai!

Original:
    485778089_k9Jgt-S.jpg

XBW:
    490117016_vH5sx-XL.gif

"Recipe":
    - one original photo
    - new layer + stamp filter + adjust sliders...
    - apply and review
    - delete layer
    - redo...
    - max contrast (to destroy some lost gray pixels here and there)
    - some painting with black and white pencils
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
    edited March 12, 2009
    Pexi wrote:
    This was an eye-opening assignment for me, thanks, Nikolai!
    Original:
    XBW:
    "Recipe":
    - one original photo
    - new layer + stamp filter + adjust sliders...
    - apply and review
    - delete layer
    - redo...
    - max contrast (to destroy some lost gray pixels here and there)
    - some painting with black and white pencils

Thank you! Glad you liked it!

Not "true" XBW (this process does not guarantee true 0/1), but close ...