Looks like someone ripped off the railroad to build that dog house! :D

Nicely done. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Nicely done. thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Can't believe I missed the RR ties at first glance. Though I finally came
    across the faded single smiley face. A saving grace.

Seriously harsh lighting.
    Michael
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Nicely done. thumb.gif

Thanks. During WWII any steel rails were salvaged from abandoned railroads. The ties were just left to rot. There's quite a few structures in the desert within a mile or two of old RR routes where the builder made use of available and free materials.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Can't believe I missed the RR ties at first glance. Though I finally came
    across the faded single smiley face. A saving grace.

Seriously harsh lighting.

Part of your reply sounds very poetic-

"Though I finally came across
    the single smiley face
    A saving grace"

It's a trippy building. I shot it back in 2003 with my nikon 990. Documenting the existance of the structure was the intention more so than a 'proper' exposure.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Aren't railroad ties soaked in creosote? I would think that would be extremely dangerous to live in... I guess it's shelter at least...
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:
    Aren't railroad ties soaked in creosote? I would think that would be extremely dangerous to live in... I guess it's shelter at least...

The building didn't look like it had been occupied in quite some time. Interesting thought though. I found the following;

"Creosote (more properly creosote oil) has been the lifeblood of the American wood treatment industry since the Louisville & Nashville started pressure-treating ties at West Pascagoula, Miss., in 1875. Previous treatment methods relied on zinc chloride, which tended to leach out (since chlorides are water-soluble). "

http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=236

There is a still active rr nearby. I'd think these ties came from maybe the last time there was a maintenance done on the tracks requiring tie replacement (rather than a complete abandonment as I earlier thought). Maybe the extreme temps melted the creosote out? Maybe no one lives there now because it was toxic? :)
    Anybody can do it.