Options

DSS 20: Chaos on the Beach

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited March 4, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
1 or 2 or neither? :D

I have some serene beach shots too, but I think they look much better in color.

#1:

484147138_LPCJG-L.jpg

#2:

484146582_dS6RT-L.jpg

#3: I lied, here's a third choice. I don't think it's as strong of a photo for the chaos theme as there's no wave motion, but I liked the B&W conversion.

483380340_mGdcf-L.jpg

I think I'm leaning towards number 2. Number 1 has a lot of motion, but the symmetry of the lines isn't as chaotic as the wave crashing in. Then again, if it's "chaotic enough" and a better photo, number 1 might make sense.

What do you all think?

If anyone cares, these shots were taken Friday at Ruby Beach in Olympic National Park, which is home to a bunch of scenic beaches (and rainforest, and mountains, and wildlife...). No vampires or werewolves though, despite reports to the contrary.

Comments

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009

Easy.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Wow, Ron!

Go with #1!! And I'm going to find something other than the beach to shot! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 for chaotic #3 for serenity.
    good stuff.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    # 1, but it looks like it could go either way (chaos or serene). Great shots as always Ron.

Dan
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    #1 without a doubt. Love it!
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Guess I'll be different...I like all three, but when I'm looking at each one and thinking of the theme, #2 gives me a stronger sense of chaos, but maybe that's just me. #3 is very serene. I love your work...can you maybe just skip a few challenges.... Just kidding!!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 3, 2009
    For me it's not such an obvious choice. I like #1 for the ripples and #2 for the darker clouds. Maybe you could darken the clouds in #1 just to see if it makes any difference?
    Both shots are great, btw. bowdown.gif #3 is not nearly as strong, IMHO.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    All amazing shots ! But I prefer #2... Gives me a stronger feeling of chaos.
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Here's another version of #1 with darker/moodier clouds per Ana's suggestion, what do you think?

#1 (Dark Clouds):

484431668_VwGqX-L.jpg

#1 (Original):

484147138_LPCJG-L.jpg
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Even better. I still like #1 but again it falls betwixt C&S?
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Wow, great photos.
    #2 looks 'chaotic'... very resltess!
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I really like #2 for chaos and #3 has a very serene effect on me.

Number 1 IMO something does not seem right to me about it, perhaps because the "waves" seem to smooth almost like a slick ice...Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with whichever you decide upon.

Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    All three are terrific. thumb.gif But for me, #2 nails "chaotic" .

Although it's essentially the same as #1 except for the angle at which you took the shot, the more pronounced motion blur on the water of #2 is what says "chaotic" to me.

#1 can go either way with the theme, whereas #3 says "serenity". But #3 seems like it would look better in color than in B&W, IMO.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    I appreciate all the feedback and comments, the good news is I'm not any closer to arriving at a conclusion lol3.gif

Personally, I think #2 is more chaotic, but I kind of like #1 better (ignoring theme). Hmm... Maybe I'll just flip a coin.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Ron, I do like how you darkened the clouds in #1, but I still say #2 is best for the theme, it has more impact as far as chaos, IMO.
    I don't think you've posted a photo yet that I haven't been in awe of!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    #3 very serene
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Ron, I do like how you darkened the clouds in #1, but I still say #2 is best for the theme, it has more impact as far as chaos, IMO.
    I don't think you've posted a photo yet that I haven't been in awe of!

Give it time lol3.gif

Here's the color version of #2:

484800290_5KWAL-L.jpg

Incidentally, it was underexposed and to bring it to proper exposure I had to increase the noise a little bit, and while I did that, I kind of tried to make it even more dramatic. The color version #2 is much more chaotic than #1. So, I think I am going to go with #2.
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 4, 2009
    Ron, #1 with darkened clouds looks great! But I'm still torn as the more I look at #2, the more it seems it fits the theme better. I think you made the right decision. thumb.gif
    And oh, the color version rocks! Too bad this is a B&W challenge. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Give it time lol3.gif

Here's the color version of #2:

484800290_5KWAL-L.jpg

Incidentally, it was underexposed and to bring it to proper exposure I had to increase the noise a little bit, and while I did that, I kind of tried to make it even more dramatic. The color version #2 is much more chaotic than #1. So, I think I am going to go with #2.

Wow...I really like the color version!!!!