dgrin meetups

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 17, 2006 in The Big Picture
i've been asked by a few members to create a place to discuss shooting meetups. let's keep it to this sticky thread for now, and if there's enough demand, we'll create a separate forum...

so, post your ideas for shooting venues for your local meetups here in this thread... and see if there are other dgrinners who want to join you!

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I saw a previous mention of Zion Nat park. Big yes vote from me on that one but needs plenty of advance notice for me to arrange finances, calendar.

NYC would be a lot of fun too. I believe you also do workshops in NYC but a smugmug event would attract me.

Amish country of PA or Ohio offers a bunch of rural photo opportunities but might not attract too many others. Fall would be a good season.

Other Utah scenic areas, monument valley, Bryce canyon, goblin valley, canyonlands.

Yellostone?

thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I'll post some of my pictures from past trips later but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together to shoot up at Mackinaw Island, Mi. There are plenty of topics to shoot there, people, wildlife, old buildings, rock formations, Mackinaw Bridge, lighthouses, old military forts, FUDGE, and alot more. If anyone is interested let me know.

Gary
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I saw a previous mention of Zion Nat park. Big yes vote from me on that one but needs plenty of advance notice for me to arrange finances, calendar.

NYC would be a lot of fun too. I believe you also do workshops in NYC but a smugmug event would attract me.

Amish country of PA or Ohio offers a bunch of rural photo opportunities but might not attract too many others. Fall would be a good season.

Other Utah scenic areas, monument valley, Bryce canyon, goblin valley, canyonlands.

Yellostone?

thumb.gif
    Whoops,

Andy, I read your message a little closer and realized I'd missed it's message. I thought the "sticky" was to get feedback for a future "Yosemite" type of scheduled event.

Anyway
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    For a really, REALLY big blowout...
    While it's a bit out of the way for most of us - Gubbs, I think you're excluded - the English countryside is a fantastic place to shoot landscapes. I just returned from a trip to Europe which allowed me a few days travel in the UK, and let me tell you: the Brits have castles like we have Starbucks - one on every corner! There were also plenty of rolling green hills, grazing sheep, and quaint old towns. That would be one of my dream outings for a shootout, but given the current exchange rate of $2 USD to the pound, it probably won't happen for a while :cry ...

Cheers,
    Kevin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Whoops,

Andy, I read your message a little closer and realized I'd missed it's message. I thought the "sticky" was to get feedback for a future "Yosemite" type of scheduled event.

Anyway
    yes, this thread was not for the SMUGMUG SHOOTOUT for next year, but rather, smaller, local or regional type of get-togethers :D
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    We should still try for another Southern California get together. The camera show was fun and with a little more notice more folks could make it. The dates are at cameraexpo dot com, maybe we can do something in June?
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    ...up for a git-together?

The DW and I are moving from Colorado to the Olympia area, the end of June, I'm wondering if anyone would like to show me Western Washington state and have a git-together sometime in July? Also, a Seattle shootout will not be out of the question for me/us... BTW, I'm thinking more towards the middle of the month. Let us start getting settled in.

Any takers?

I have a tight July. I wouldn't be the one to lead, but would be interested in hooking up if it fit my schedule. July 16th - 27th is out for me... I direct summer jr. teen camp in Oregon for a week. Then off to the coast for R&R before the next hit.

Aug. 5th - 16th Gone again to ID, UT, AZ, TX.
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    I love to see the Atlanta area crowd have a meet up!

Andy,

There is a site for local meetups here, but I like having it on dgrin so everyone knows about it.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    T4Tots wrote:
    I love to see the Atlanta area crowd have a meet up!

Andy,

There is a site for local meetups here, but I like having it on dgrin so everyone knows about it.
    Sounds good, I'd love to meetup with the dgrin crowd, I just don't have time/money to make the west coast. I am about as far east of Atlanta as you are west.

James.
  • BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    OK... Well, with the move I can see us being quite busy. But a meet up will be a nice break from a manic move. Looks like your a busy man! Let's see what develops with the rest of this month... I can see something before July 16th.

Yea, I see you're on the eastern portion... Well, let's see if any other Washingtonians chime up, and give a more definitive/central location to meet.
    I am in Portland, so if the drive wasn't too long I could make the trip :D
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    I'm in Kentucky and would love to meet up with others.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i've been asked by a few members to create a place to discuss shooting meetups. let's keep it to this sticky thread for now, and if there's enough demand, we'll create a separate forum...

so, post your ideas for shooting venues for your local meetups here in this thread... and see if there are other dgrinners who want to join you!
    Great idea Andy.clap.gif

You might not know it but I'm retired now:D so I have pleanty of free time. If any Florida folks or any other Dgrinner wants to visit the Space Coast there's lots of photo ops down here as well as a few birds. I'll be glad to show them around and help with any other arrangements.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited May 13, 2005
    Big props for visiting HarryB. Was one of the highlights of my trip to florida and I am hoping to make it back down there at the end of this year or start of next year.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Great idea Andy.clap.gif

You might not know it but I'm retired now:D so I have pleanty of free time. If any Florida folks or any other Dgrinner wants to visit the Space Coast there's lots of photo ops down here as well as a few birds. I'll be glad to show them around and help with any other arrangements.
    Without imposing, Harry, I have put your part of Florida on my list, birds, gators and food,,,,, what more would I needrolleyes1.gif .
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    KevinKal wrote:
    While it's a bit out of the way for most of us - Gubbs, I think you're excluded - the English countryside is a fantastic place to shoot landscapes. I just returned from a trip to Europe which allowed me a few days travel in the UK, and let me tell you: the Brits have castles like we have Starbucks - one on every corner! There were also plenty of rolling green hills, grazing sheep, and quaint old towns. That would be one of my dream outings for a shootout, but given the current exchange rate of $2 USD to the pound, it probably won't happen for a while :cry ...

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Whilst I think a shootout in the UK is unlikely for a while, if anyone is over near London on business or vacation and wants to meet up for shooting, give me a shout, I'm up for it (as long as I'm free)
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    shay wrote:
    Without imposing, Harry, I have put your part of Florida on my list, birds, gators and food,,,,, what more would I needrolleyes1.gif .
    Beer of course :D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    if anyone is over near London on business or vacation and wants to meet up for shooting, give me a shout, I'm up for it (as long as I'm free)
    Are you considering charging, then?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited May 15, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Beer of course icon10.gif
    Not to worry. Any trip to Florida's Sapce Coast includes a stop at Harry's where there is always a cold Corona to be found.
    20706232.jpg
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Not to worry. Any trip to Florida's Sapce Coast includes a stop at Harry's where there is always a cold Corona to be found. nice touch that NIKON
    20706232.jpg
    nice touch that NIKON gives you that warm feeling all over not that icey white stuff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Washington DC
    Washington / Nothern Virginia has lots of possibilities... from Civil War battlefields to national monuments...
    edited May 16, 2005
    Cold corona :bluduh I knew I shoulda stayed for dinner.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 16, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    We should still try for another Southern California get together. The camera show was fun and with a little more notice more folks could make it. The dates are at cameraexpo dot com, maybe we can do something in June?
    The camera show was fun but how about a shoot-out as well? I've been loving the Maibu coast pictures that DavidTO posted a while back. Maybe an outing there?
    edited May 16, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Not to worry. Any trip to Florida's Sapce Coast includes a stop at Harry's where there is always a cold Corona to be found.
    20706232.jpg
    what, no bucket? :slosh
    edited May 16, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    what, no bucket? smilie_bier2.gif
    Angelo, Angelo, Angelo. You really should have known better. roflol.gif28575784.jpg
    Harry
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Beer of course :D

ummmm,,, beer:slosh , rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 16, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Angelo, Angelo, Angelo. You really should have known better. roflol.gif28575784.jpg
    awwwww Harry... I knew I could count on you! Of course I usually employ a larger bucket but that's a good start! :D
    edited May 16, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Hey... I don't see no limes in any of these bottles! headscratch.gifumph.gif
    So, sure these are "real" Coronas? :D
    Geez, there's just no winning here. One wants a bigger bucket and another guy wants limes. I'm saving my pennies for a 500mm lens if you want limes or a bigger bucket bring you own. :pissed
    Harry
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    20706232.jpg
    Harry,
    If you keep flashing pictures like that around you might just end up with an surprise visitor from south Georgia. Save me a cold one por favor.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited May 18, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    20706232.jpg
    Harry: I have a calendar on my desk with silly quotes for each day of the year. As I looked at it I laughed and thought of you as I read this quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin:
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Hallelujah! :D
    edited May 18, 2005
    for Los Angelenos
    Just heard about a public rally taking place Wednesday, May 25th, 4:00PM, Pershing Square, downtown LA, to protest actions of "Ahhhnold, the Governator".

I've been wanting to shoot at a protest rally to stretch my yet unused "photo-journalism" muscles.

Anyone who knows the Pershing Square area knows there's some great visuals. The city park off-set by a mix of old brick buildings like the Biltmore Hotel as well as glass and steel skyscrapers.

I'm planning on going. Hope some local dGrinners can join me.