Options

In Camera Copyrighting

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited April 19, 2009 in The Big Picture
Is in camera copyrighting still possible? It was a few years back but I cannot find anything bout it with My friend Google..............I was thinking there was a discussion on here but my search was unfruitful.......probably my choice of search terms:dunno
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Not quite sure what you mean, but I do know the Nikon D700 has a copyright feature in its menu. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Not quite sure what you mean, but I do know the Nikon D700 has a copyright feature in its menu. thumb.gif
    I believe my Canon 50D does as well if you use the EOS utility.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

I think that is what I am looking for...but was hoping for it in the D200/300 bodies.........not wanting to go FX as the most of my work is still in the outdoors and that extra "reach" is nice.....................

Thanks ssimmonsphoto & Llywellyn
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I did a quick Google search on the D300 menu items, and it doesn't look like it's included. On the D700, it's under the Setup Menu > Copyright Information.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    It definately isn't available as a menu item on the d200 or d300. I have it on the D3 though!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Is in camera copyrighting still possible? It was a few years back but I cannot find anything bout it with My friend Google..............I was thinking there was a discussion on here but my search was unfruitful.......probably my choice of search termsne_nau.gif
    You can also do this upon import from the memory card. Lightroom, Aperture, Photo Mechanic and others allow you to do various chores upon import, such as renaming and renumbering files, adding keywords, putting in contact information, and putting in a copyright notification.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    You can also do this upon import from the memory card. Lightroom, Aperture, Photo Mechanic and others allow you to do various chores upon import, such as renaming and renumbering files, adding keywords, putting in contact information, and putting in a copyright notification.

I have all my LR metadata fields filled out for the copyright infor rightdown to a nasty sounding warningand my phone number.....pretty much followed Scott Kelbysinstructions in LR2 for Photogs....................it is all automated so I will just keep it there.............and not worry about it in cam, I just thought it would be nice to © in cam also.....incase a card of pics fell into the enimies hands so to speak:D

• Options
    jhmjcmjhmjcm Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    You can put copyright info in the image comment string under the setup menu. When you import into LR, you can either strip the field for later use or just leave it there.

Jim
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Image Authentication
    Art Scott wrote:
    Is in camera copyrighting still possible? It was a few years back but I cannot find anything bout it with My friend Google..............I was thinking there was a discussion on here but my search was unfruitful.......probably my choice of search termsne_nau.gif

Perhaps your thinking of "Image Authentication". Nikon D3, D3X, D700 and D300 have this capability (see page 324 of the D300 manual). It allows the Nikon Image Authentication Software to be used for "... verification via a personal computer as to whether an image has been processed or edited after it was taken." I think the main purpose is for photojournalists to prove the authenticity of their photographs, but you could also use it to prove that your original (with copyright info in the comment field) is the true original.

I'm guessing that what you really want is a built in capability similar to Digimarc, such that you can imbed watermark info that cannot be removed. Unfortunately I don't think any camera manufacturers are incorporating this type of technology... yet.

Mike

Edit: I should have read the whole thread before replying. It looks like you were just looking for a way to write to IPTC copyright field. As others have mentioned, Nikon only gives access to the comment field. But hopefully the other info I posted is of interest to you too.

Edit 2: Nikon D300 firmware 1.10 added the ability to use the copyright symbol. I have not installed the firmware update yet, but the release notes state the following. "A Copyright information item has been added to the setup menu. When Copyright information is enabled, the copyright symbol (©) is shown in the shooting info display."
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    Tanuki wrote:
    Perhaps your thinking of "Image Authentication". Nikon D3, D3X, D700 and D300 have this capability (see page 324 of the D300 manual). It allows the Nikon Image Authentication Software to be used for "... verification via a personal computer as to whether an image has been processed or edited after it was taken." I think the main purpose is for photojournalists to prove the authenticity of their photographs, but you could also use it to prove that your original (with copyright info in the comment field) is the true original.

I'm guessing that what you really want is a built in capability similar to Digimarc, such that you can imbed watermark info that cannot be removed. Unfortunately I don't think any camera manufacturers are incorporating this type of technology... yet.

Mike

Edit: I should have read the whole thread before replying. It looks like you were just looking for a way to write to IPTC copyright field. As others have mentioned, Nikon only gives access to the comment field. But hopefully the other info I posted is of interest to you too.

Edit 2: Nikon D300 firmware 1.10 added the ability to use the copyright symbol. I have not installed the firmware update yet, but the release notes state the following. "A Copyright information item has been added to the setup menu. When Copyright information is enabled, the copyright symbol (©) is shown in the shooting info display."

You did not waste your time typing.............Does theD300 have an area that one can input camera ownership info A(name address and phone) incase equipment is stolen??

• Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    You did not waste your time typing.............Does theD300 have an area that one can input camera ownership info A(name address and phone) incase equipment is stolen??

I pretty sure that the image comment is the only field that you can modify, and unfortunately it's only 36 characters long. You might be able to squeeze in your name and your website into this field, though.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    Tanuki wrote:
    I pretty sure that the image comment is the only field that you can modify, and unfortunately it's only 36 characters long. You might be able to squeeze in your name and your website into this field, though.

tHANKS

• Options
    mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Hi Art, thanks for your comments on my photos, I've noticed your posts through my lurking, so its nice to receive feedback.

My only tip has been stated above - under the comments section within the camera I just put my name and (c) - it won't protect the images - but its one way of distinguishing your photos (or camera come to that).

thanks Mandy
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I did a quick Google search on the D300 menu items, and it doesn't look like it's included. On the D700, it's under the Setup Menu > Copyright Information.
    The D300 with firmware 1.10 has this.thumb.gif