Options

Wintery!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 9, 2009 in People

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Nice photo ... but where's the "Wintery" in it. No snow! No goose-bumps! Nothing to indicate cool weather.

Oh (light bulb turns on) - you're rubbing it in!!! Yeah, that's what you're doing. We have cold weather and you guys are down there in your shirt-sleeves!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Oh (light bulb turns on) - you're rubbing it in!!! Yeah, that's what you're doing. We have cold weather and you guys are down there in your shirt-sleeves!

~grumble~ ~mutter~ ~dirty look~

Jeff, if I didin't like you so much, I might have to hate you for this photograph! :bluduh:D

Then again, rumour has it that we're supposed to get 60 degrees here this weekend. PLEASE!! NEVER in the 10 years I have lived in this state has it been this cold, this consistently (it's been below freezing pretty much constantly since Thanksgiving - in several previous years, November has been in the 90s!!!)

(PS love the desat processing :)
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    ~grumble~ ~mutter~ ~dirty look~

Jeff, if I didin't like you so much, I might have to hate you for this photograph! :bluduh:D

Then again, rumour has it that we're supposed to get 60 degrees here this weekend. PLEASE!! NEVER in the 10 years I have lived in this state has it been this cold, this consistently (it's been below freezing pretty much constantly since Thanksgiving - in several previous years, November has been in the 90s!!!)

(PS love the desat processing :)
    Yeah, we're supposed to get up to almost 80 on Sunday.

Diva - what state? I don't remember.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Yeah, we're supposed to get up to almost 80 on Sunday.

Geez, they forecast Sunday to be ~70 here in MD. 80 for you guys? That's nuts. We just had 14 inches of snow a couple of days ago too.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Geez, they forecast Sunday to be ~70 here in MD. 80 for you guys? That's nuts. We just had 14 inches of snow a couple of days ago too.
    Correction - they changed the forecast - now it supposed to be 75ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    I think we have possible had our last frost of the year. The DW and I just returned from a trip to the local nursery with a load of bedding plants for our flower and herb beds. Im thankful.

The photograph was taken Wednesday afternoon. Our youngest plays varsity tennis at school. She has had a tough season so far. She was stunned when she got home Monday after losing...badly...to a girl a couple years younger than herself...but who also is a nationally ranked player. Bre is well versed and capable at tennis, but doesn't really display that killer, go for the jugler instinct. She won Wednesday 6-1 and 6-0. A confidence builder for sure.

The lighting at most tennis games....due to the nature of where the sport is played....can be quite harsh.....unless you are blessed with overcast skies. This gave me a chance to fiddle with the dynamic lighting controls (which is supposed to boost the shadows) and the highlight tone priority(which is supposed to protect the highlights). I am not sure how or if this has an affect on the RAW file.....I only shoot RAW now rather than RAW +jpeg due to file sizes......but there was a drastic difference on the preview image displayed in the LCD. In lighting like this....with the XTi....it was usually either get the shadows...or save the highlights. Adequately capturing both would have been pretty much out of the question. There are still some small areas of blown highlight bits here....but not THAT bad.....I am very pleased with the exposure in the shadowed side of her.....a nice surprise from the 50D. Wish I weren't having to shoot through a chain link fence!

486181806_hyLLg-M-1.jpg
    486181919_ZSyZx-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    Okay....maybe I rubbed it in just a bit....but.....no matter how bad you think your situation is....there is always someone else to be found who has it worse off. (Im evvisioning Heather up there on the frontier....hopping aboard her snowmachine to go get the kids from school.)
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Okay....maybe I rubbed it in just a bit....but.....no matter how bad you think your situation is....there is always someone else to be found who has it worse off. (Im envisioning Heather up there on the frontier....hopping aboard her snowmachine to go get the kids from school.)

:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    In the frontier.... that is funny! And nice job with the warmness rub.

Great usage of the proper word for "snowmobile"! My influence and control over the world is complete and all encompasing!! (insert evil chuckle)

And I, of course do NOT drive my kids to school with a snowmachine. It is DOGSLED every time. Much safer for the environment. (JK- I love my eco guzzling SUV with four wheel drive, studs and a heater. Not to mention the paved roads that the city plows.)

My kingdom for a tan.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    And I, of course do NOT drive my kids to school with a snowmachine. It is DOGSLED every time. Much safer for the environment.

I just peed my pants :D:D:D:D:D:D

I too like the shadow side exposure on these Jeff...well done. We, BTW are in the 30's with 2 major snow storms on the way....I'm boxing some up to send...what's your address?mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    This is a wonderful series, Jeff.

I'm enjoying the banter immensly. I also thought of Heather as the temps rose to almost 70 here in Indiana. I had thoughts of running barefoot with flowers in my hair twirling in circles, "spring is here spring is here". Laughing.gif ROFL!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The lighting at most tennis games....due to the nature of where the sport is played....can be quite harsh.....unless you are blessed with overcast skies. This gave me a chance to fiddle with the dynamic lighting controls (which is supposed to boost the shadows) and the highlight tone priority(which is supposed to protect the highlights). I am not sure how or if this has an affect on the RAW file.....I only shoot RAW now rather than RAW +jpeg due to file sizes......but there was a drastic difference on the preview image displayed in the LCD. In lighting like this....with the XTi....it was usually either get the shadows...or save the highlights. Adequately capturing both would have been pretty much out of the question. There are still some small areas of blown highlight bits here....but not THAT bad.....I am very pleased with the exposure in the shadowed side of her.....a nice surprise from the 50D. Wish I weren't having to shoot through a chain link fence!
    Jeff - check out this thread, if you haven't already.

I firmly believe - until I'm convinced otherwise,mwink.gif that the highlight tone priority and such are just post processing tricks done by the camera. I think, if one is successful in shooting all as far to the right as possible, the shadow detail would be there without having blown the highlights. I've not shot a tennis match, but .... I have to think it's all there.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2009
    Jeff - check out this thread, if you haven't already.

I firmly believe - until I'm convinced otherwise,mwink.gif that the highlight tone priority and such are just post processing tricks done by the camera. I think, if one is successful in shooting all as far to the right as possible, the shadow detail would be there without having blown the highlights. I've not shot a tennis match, but .... I have to think it's all there.

My inner technofile had told me that as well. I don't believe that the features are applied to RAW images anyway. I say this because After I set HTP to on, I readjusted the exposure....farther right...and had no blinkies in the cameras LCD. Upon import to lightroom however....there were areas that were indeed blown....but recoverable. I will have to shoot RAW plus jpeg next time and repeat the settings to examine raw and jpeg histograms in ACR or lightroom....just to see if we are right.mwink.gif I mean....just to prove it.:D
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Oh man, I stepped out side to have a smoke and thought of this thread. Right here in tribecca by the water (Citi Headquarters) there was a girl jogging in shorts and T shirt. We went upto 65 today and people thought it was spring. LoL. Couldn't even tell it snowed a few days ago...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009

rolleyes1.gif Hilarious. I hate you Jeff!!! .. ok ... maybe not .. but agh, we're supposed to have SNOW again tomorrow. Seriously ... what on earth???

Nice candid(s)!!!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    .. but agh, we're supposed rolleyes1.gifto have SNOW again tomorrow. Seriously ... what on earth???

Little bit of snow falling here (Portland, OR) today too...

And of course I tried to squeeze in an outdoor shoot. eek7.gif

Nice series. No short sleeves here though!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+