Options

Sb600

KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited March 9, 2009 in Accessories
My SB600 has decided to not flash every single time now. This is my second one. First one just stopped working, period. This one doesn't flash everytime I press my camera's shutter button. It use to, but not anymore. Just fires when it wants to fire. Anyone know how I can fix this? Sure am not buying another one again after having this one for a year. It cost $259, and probably half that just for a local store to fix it.

Thanks! cool2.gif
ʞ1└0

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    You need to let Nikon know what's happening. There may be something more insidious going on.

http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/238
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    Yeah, thought about that, but it won't be cheap and it'll be awhile before I ever get it back. Was hoping it was something I could fix myself. And the batteries are new, so were the other ones that ended up in my TV's remote. If I can't fix it, then I'll sell it real cheap to someone who can. Thank you, Ziggy!
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Just my two cents...

Check your purchase date, as it may still be under warranty...

If it is, Nikon should fix it for free...

If it is not under warranty... and you do send it to Nikon, the most it will cost you to find out what's wrong with it should be the shipping, as Nikon will give you an estimate before working on it...

If you don't accept the estimate, they'll return it to you... that would be the point in which you can decide if it's worth fixing by Nikon or getting something new... and shipping to Nikon should cost you about 15-20 bucks... which is not too bad IMHO...
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    The warranty is weeks past the year it was given. We'll see what I can do and if it's even worth it. Thanks!
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    BlufoxBlufox Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    This one doesn't flash everytime I press my camera's shutter button. It use to, but not anymore. Just fires when it wants to fire.

This might not be helpful, but you may want to ensure that the contacts -on both the lens and the camera- are clean. If they are, check to verify that the flash seats securely when attached. Just thought that it might be nice to be able to rule that out. You may also want to reset your camera to the defaault settings to see if there is any improvement.

Good luck! I have one that hasn't given me any problems, so it's not like they have a history of bad copies.
    Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated.
    These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer ..."
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    I press that red test button on the flash. It fires half the time even with the flash off the camera.
    ʞ1└0