Options

about remotes :)

MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited March 10, 2009 in Accessories
Im looking for an inexpensive remote for my xsi... any suggestions?? Aaannd I was wondering if the remotes had autofocus features. Thanks for any input :)

HUGS!
Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    Im looking for an inexpensive remote for my xsi... any suggestions?? Aaannd I was wondering if the remotes had autofocus features. Thanks for any input :)

HUGS!

The RCi works great - I got mine (new) for about $20. ANd yes, it autofocuses the camera. You just have to remember to set the camera to "timer/remote" mode.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Wireless shutter release on ebay$19.85 (free shipping) just like what I use on my Konica Minolta cams......the one in the LINK ships from Hong Kong but is free shipping....I searched ebay until I found one in USA but then regretted that as they wanted a lot for shippping......what I am saying is save the bucks and buy from Hong Kong............I have never regretted buying mine....it works like a real trooper
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The RCi works great - I got mine (new) for about $20. ANd yes, it autofocuses the camera. You just have to remember to set the camera to "timer/remote" mode.

thumb.gif for the RC1, great little remote, I sorely miss it, as it does not work with the 40D :cry
  • Options
    MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Great!! thanks for the imput...i think i'll check out the rci
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Devils advocate here....

On the XTi the infra red sensor that picks up the signal from the RC1 is on the front of the camera. This means you have to be in front of the camera at least somewhat to get the "line of sight" needed for the signal. If you plan to be using the remote for anything other than a self portrait this may be a problem....especially if you ever want to set up a small studio as it would possibly place you in a light blocking position.

A better solution is the radio remote that Art linked up for you. It shouldnt require line of sight and should allow for longer distances between you and the camera.

Lastly.....for landscapes and studio work a wired Canon remote would do the trick.
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Prefer a different e-bay version
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Devils advocate here....

On the XTi the infra red sensor that picks up the signal from the RC1 is on the front of the camera. This means you have to be in front of the camera at least somewhat to get the "line of sight" needed for the signal. If you plan to be using the remote for anything other than a self portrait this may be a problem....especially if you ever want to set up a small studio as it would possibly place you in a light blocking position.

A better solution is the radio remote that Art linked up for you. It shouldnt require line of sight and should allow for longer distances between you and the camera.

Lastly.....for landscapes and studio work a wired Canon remote would do the trick.

I had one very similar to the one Art linked to but for the xxD Canon series. I found that the on/off switch that you press to turn on or off would get pressed while in my bag by accident and I would find a dead battery. After getting in the habit of taking the battery out of the receiver I lost the cover! I did make it through what I was wanting to shoot using it that time.

Then Teem-Speed (probably close on name but did not look up) had one of these (but for my model Canon) http://cgi.ebay.com/Cleon-Wireless-Remote-C6-for-Canon-Rebel-XT-XTi-XSi-XS_W0QQitemZ200311238961QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Cables_Cords?hash=item200311238961&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50 for sale here rather than on e-bay. I bought one and really prefer it because the switch slides on and off and thus will stay off when in camera bag. I also like clipping the receiver to the hot shoe; although, it is light enough to dangle if using the hot shoe for a flash.

Jane
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:

Is this a link to the auction on ebay????? does not seem top work???ne_nau.gifdunno
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Is this a link to the auction on ebay????? does not seem top work???ne_nau.gifdunno

Sorry for the problems. I did not try clicking on it to see if it would work after I copied it from the address line for that listing. Now that I do I too find that you cannot do that. BUT copy it into the address line of your browser and hit enter and you get there. The first photo did not come up but a refresh did add it.

Once again, I know nothing about this seller just about this brand of remote for a Canon of the xxD series.

Jane