Options

Mare Island

Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
edited March 10, 2009 in Landscapes
Some fellow Dgrinners may recognize this guy

487343414_dPxY3-L.jpg

487353943_xhKxQ-L.jpg

Inside the shipyard building. Shot through the dark window inside an incredibly large dark building. Anyone who has seen this building will appreciate this shot.
487359637_j2gxG-L.jpg

487357614_2xC4r-L.jpg

Having some fun with a red flashlight
487363771_FGCRs-L.jpg
Steve

Website

Comments

• Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Yep, I recognized that guy. mwink.gif

Very cool! That D3 camera eats light. I can vouch that it was very dark when he took shots #2-5, especially the shot into the building. I exposed for over 2 minutes and it was still dark.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    iloveyou.gifLove.Love.Love.Love.iloveyou.gif

Can I tell you how much I loved that shot in that building?????

And that low angle shot of the building? Wish I thought of that when I was there...

clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

I just wish that I was healthy enough to run around Mare Island over the weekend with you!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Nice series--and sounds like a good time was had by all!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    WCWWCW Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Matt,Eric and myself took a similar shot of the pipes with the red light when we were there. I like your angle better. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=123475
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    iloveyou.gifLove.Love.Love.Love.iloveyou.gif

Can I tell you how much I loved that shot in that building?????

The shot inside the building was done at 143 seconds, F4 ISO 400, 35mm.

As funny as it is, that red building looks so much prettier without any light. We tried painting it with flashlights and it turned out very ugly.

Anytime anyone here on Dgrin wants to go over to the island, let me know. It is such a great place.
    Some of those homes near the museum are begging for engagement photos to be taken on the porch at dawn.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    iambarefootiambarefoot Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    In shot #3, it looks like daylight, but I'm guessing those angled anti-shadows (what do you call the area lit by outside light?) were lit from behind the camera, the shadow of which I can see twice in the lower-left of each window pattern - am I right?

Neet pics!
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    In shot #3, it looks like daylight, but I'm guessing those angled anti-shadows (what do you call the area lit by outside light?) were lit from behind the camera, the shadow of which I can see twice in the lower-left of each window pattern - am I right?
    Neet pics!

There is a building (about 300 feet) behind us that had a few spot lights on the outside. This photo and the one posted by tisun really fool the eye. That little piece of equipment in the lower right corner of this photo could not be seen with the naked eye.
    Not only was it incredibly dark inside the building, but the windows were covered in 10 or 15 years of dirt. We could barely make out the very large window on the far end of the building.
    This shot was really one of those "should we even bother to try" shots. I placed my lens directly against the window and took the longest shot of the night for me (about 2 1/2 minutes).
    When we first looked at the LCD on the back of my camera and could read the numbers on the columns we were all blown away. So all 3 of us shoved our cameras up against the glass again and fired away.
    I know that a picture doesn't lie, but in this case it is far from telling the truth.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Anytime anyone here on Dgrin wants to go over to the island, let me know. It is such a great place. ]

I might very well take you up on this since I just moved into the area and haven't been out yet! :D Still, even if I was just back for a visit from the east I'd want to shoot Mare Island. I've seen too much great work from this place to miss out.

Fantastic set and thanks for sharing it!
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    tisun
    I didn't know that was you tisun. I was at the alumni event as well.
    My buddy found your Phottix remote and I mailed it to you.

I should have introduced myself to more people.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery