Options

Wide angle (24 or wider) for DX camera

fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited March 10, 2009 in Cameras
Now that I have my D200, I'm finding my Nikkor 24, an effective 36, not wide enough for landscapes and interiors. I also want this lens to do double-duty taking photos of my kids indoors, so good AF performance is a must even though it's immaterial for tripod-mounted shooting.

I've been researching current and older lenses to find something suitable, but most don't reach the 24mm equivalent. So far, here's what I'm leaning toward.

Tokina 19-35 3.5-4.5 $135
This is an older lens, but very inexpensive, and may be wide enough for my purposes, as long as AF performance is up to par.

Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 $299
This lens is slightly wider, slightly faster, and new copies are still available, but cost more than twice the Tokina.

Tamron 17-50 2.8 $399
With a faster constant aperture, this Tamron has a wider range and gets good reviews, though it costs one-third more than the 17-35. At this price, I'd really prefer something wider. I have also read enough reports of bad AF performance or unsharpness that finding a good copy may be a challenge.

The Tokina 11-16 is a lens that is on my radar for the future, but is a bit wide for interior shots of kids where a longer focal length would be handy. Price vs performance is important to me, so I'm leaning toward the Tokina unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Is there a lens that I'm missing or that anyone would recommend?

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    There is a long list, but if I had to narrow down the list, Nikkor 12-24mm, Nikkor 14-24mm, Tamron 17-35mm, Sigma 12-24
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited March 10, 2009
    Frons,

It sounds like you are looking for a "standard" zoom, as opposed to a "super-wide" zoom.

Of your list the Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II is a very good performer.

Nikon would rather you purchase the Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX and it is a splendid lens, if a bit pricey. The Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 EX DC Macro is also a pretty good lens (I have the previous version) but I think the Tamron is better.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    There is a long list, but if I had to narrow down the list, Nikkor 12-24mm, Nikkor 14-24mm, Tamron 17-35mm, Sigma 12-24
    I'll check some of these out. May have to wait for a tax refund, though.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Frons,
    It sounds like you are looking for a "standard" zoom, as opposed to a "super-wide" zoom.
    Yeah, the standard 24-70 range for ff isn't represented very well in lenses available for dx. I need an AF lens that works well so my wife can use the D200 like an oversized p&s.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009

Do not forget the siggy 17-70 (25.5 - 105 equiv) f2,8-4.5 .... haven't seen a bad report done yet....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website