Options

Basic Canon equipment recommended for a novice with a limited budget

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited March 12, 2009 in Cameras
I am not being modest in any way when I classify my self as basic, self taught and starting small, I’m beginning to think that may have been an overstatement, considering the caliber of the photographers on dgrin. That is good and challenging, and hopefully I will be able to fit in here, and learn. I have a lot to learn.

My equipment is Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS, SLR. I have the factory lens and recently purchased a Canon Macro EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 USM. Now that I probably come across as pathetic you may not want to view my galleries, but are welcome to at www.lisarhinehart.smugmug.com. If you view them in “critique” you can see I mostly used a point and shoot, so bear that in mind. I think I have done well with limited resources, and am excited to get a few more and learn some more, and see what I can do.

A little more background on me: I started selling my (mostly) nature photography 2 years ago. I made enough profit in the first year to pay off my inventory (25 matted framed 8x10 enlargements), 150 note cards, EZ-up tent, business cards and other supplies. I made enough profit my second year to buy a Cannon Rebel and pay for this site.

I am looking to see what to purchase with my third year’s profits (once I get there) with a long term goal of being a second shooter for weddings (maybe) or portraits (maybe). I am looking to spend likely $700 or so on equipment and asking for suggestions of the most essential bare-bones items. Bearing that in mind, what do you think would be essential for me? I welcome your feedback and hope that this establishes where I’m coming from.
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Look at the list I started for you and then think of "USEZD" as you friend.....making sure that you can return it if it is not what you expected......my first wedding I walked int with a cam bag holding....1-35mm body, a 70-210 vivatar series 1 lenz, Sunpak 522 (handle mounat flash and the most expensive piece in my cam bag ($185) and that was it......I got lucky and the photos turned out great or so the client thought.....I had never shot a wedding, I dived in head first.....scared to death......now trhey are the most fun andI love weddings....when I approach a studio offering to contract any accidental over bookings.....Itell them to give me their most contancerious, bitchy brides andI will make a long term friend and client out of them for the studio.....I never carry my B-cards when I am doing contraact work....

You camera, 1 or 2 good fast lenses (look into Sigma, Tamron and Tokina for starter lenses), flash bracket, lightmeter (flash/ambient), light modifier.....good bag..........good flash
    can't trim it down much more......
    Since you ahve a crop body....I would recommend a Sigma 17-70f2.8-4.5 ....it would do well for portraiture and by doing some foot zooming(walking back and forth) it would serve well for weddings also until you can save the big bucks for fast canon glass

Did you ever shoot film.....if you have....start treating each frame you shoot as it it were still film and try not to chimp....wait til you get hme and fire up the darkroom to see what you have......it is stressful andat the sametime grasshopper it teaches patience and persistance to perfection in that moment it cliks its gotta be right.:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Hey welcome to dgrin! clap.gif

We are all here to help and encourage each other! So don't be a stranger!

Like what Art said, used will save you a bundle! You can really buy gear from this forum with confidence! But if you are looking to do portraiture, you might want to invest in the 17-55 since you have a XT and do very well with just that lens. An external flash is very important.

I hear the Tamron 28-70 is very good and more affordable compared to the Canon's equivalent range.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Welcome Lisa! wave.gif

I've just been through a similar upgrade curve (without the luxury of being able to say that my purchases were made through profits - congratulations on that!)

I would say if you're happy with the handling on the XT, invest in some extra glass. Maybe a 50mm (either the cheap but fantastic 1.8, or the 1.4) and maybe a short zoom like the Tamron 17-50 or its more expensive cousin, the Canon 17-55is.

Here's my story so far:
    I had an XT with a Canon 28-105, 50mm 1.8 (a lens you should DEFINITELY consider adding if the 1.4 version isn't in your budget or plans) and 55-250is. When I started getting more serious about this last year, I decided to start the rolling upgrade. I have basically sold a piece of gear to offset the cost of each new purchase and, while I'm definitely not "breaking even", I haven't broken the bank either.

Since my most-common frustration was certain handling annoyances on the XT, I decided to upgrade the body first, even though I knew I would also need new glass and that, in fact, better glass might possible affect the IMAGES more. But the XT was starting to make me crazy - nothing "wrong" with it (it takes really good pictures), but I was using flash exposure compensation a lot and the menu system in that camera made it hard to access that quickly, and I also felt that a newer body would likely have zippier autofocusing which was another thing I wanted. Originally, I expected to go with a 40D refurb for about $700, but when I checked out an Xsi at the same time, my decision was made - the xsi may carry the "Rebel" moniker, but I prefer to think of it as a "40D lite". Many of the same features, similar layout of the menus (MUCH easier to use than the XT), same image processor, same AF etc etc. It's not quite as good at high ISO, but it's lighter and fit my hand MUCH better. And was about $200 cheaper for new one with full warrantee (instead of a refurb). I'm extremely happy with it. I had to add a grip because it's actually a little small for my hand, but I picked a Canon one up used on Fred Miranda (complete with a 2nd OEM battery) and my total output was still less than the refurb 40D would have been.

I sold the XT and 28-105 at that point, which didn't cover the cost of the new body, but definitely took most of the bite out of it. I was going to try and wing it for a while with my 50mm, and the 28-80 from my film camera, but then I got lucky and somebody on my local Craigslist was selling a like-new Tamron 17-50 w/filters, boxes and all documentation for the fantastic price of $300, so even though it was pushing ahead of my plans, I went ahead and got that as the "deal I couldn't refuse". Best photographic choice I've ever made to date, I think - I LOVE THAT LENS and can highly recommend it as a great all-purpose short zoom lens that is much cheaper than the (wonderful but spendy) Canon 17-55is.

I'm now in the next phase of this (seemingly endless!) process: I need an 85mm 1.8 for some very specific shoots. In theory I'm getting a stipend for one of those which will fund some of the purchase, and I'm going to go ahead and sell me 50 1.8 to take a bit more of the bite out of the price. The 50mm end of the Tamron is only 2.8, but I figure if I have the 85 1.8 I'm pretty well covered.

I guess the point of all this verbiage is not only to share the story of another "advanced beginner" who's getting into this more seriously, but to say... be flexible, accept that it's a continual process, and don't be afraid to sell something to buy something. Until this point I've held on to a lot of things for sentimental reasons but bottom line is they are TOOLS. And be ready to jump on an unexpected bargain if it comes along - I really did NOT plan on getting the Tamron at that point in the cycle, but the offer came along and was too good to pass up and I'm very glad that I did!

HTH - look forward to reading the suggestions others make for you!
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    I agree with a few of the other posters, if I were in your shoes(and I was not too long ago) I would get a fast normal lens. Like the previous poster I bought a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and it was by far the best money I spent in photography. It does have its quirks but overall I cant think of a better way to spend $350 or so. So that said if I were in your shoes I'd pick up a used Tamron 17-50($350) a 430ex($175-200) and a 50mm 1.8($80). I think having a fast zoom, a decent flash, and a fast prime for low light will make a world of difference in your photography and you can stay in your budget!

...on a side note and somewhat of a shameless plug, if you do want to upgrade your body I've got a 20D for sale:D, but to be honest if your happy with the XT invest in your accessories for now and you will see a bigger return on your investment.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    PS - Your site has some absolutely amazing photos on it so don't sell yourself short. Keep up the good work and remember its the person pressing the shutter that makes the picture not the equipment theyre using.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,884 moderator
    edited March 10, 2009
    ... I am looking to spend likely $700 or so on equipment and asking for suggestions of the most essential bare-bones items. Bearing that in mind, what do you think would be essential for me? I welcome your feedback and hope that this establishes where I’m coming from.

If you are serious about being a second shooter then you must invest in some better lenses. You must also get a flash which has a focus assist capability, as the Canon XT/350D does not focus very well in low light. I also highly recommend a scoop flash modifier and a bounce card type modifier. My most used modifier is the scoop.

Flash modifiers:

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

The flashes I would recommend are either the Canon 580EX (II) or 430EX or a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash, all of which have the focus assist.

The best crop Canon lens for wedding work (but outside your budget) is arguably the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM. More economical alternatives are:

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro

Some examples of the Canon XT/350D with a Sigma flash and scoop modifier:

233444706-L.jpg

143666541-L.jpg

116991247-D.jpg

... and an example of ceiling bounce with an improvised fill card:

59210524-L.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    Thanks, can I get away with used equiptment
    Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful responces. It's great to be reminded that everybody has to start somewhere and thanks so much for your encouragement and welcoming me into the d-grin community!:D

Now I am looking into some of the equiptment you have suggested. Do you really think I can trust used? Thanks again for everything!!!
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Portraits and weddings you say?

I'd go with either a Tamron 17-50mmf 2.8 or a Canon 85mm f1.8 and a 430EXII flash, that should be around $700.

The 17-50 should be a great all around portrait from group to headshots and the 85mm f1.8 would be good for headshots and maybe half a body shots.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful responces. It's great to be reminded that everybody has to start somewhere and thanks so much for your encouragement and welcoming me into the d-grin community!:D

Now I am looking into some of the equiptment you have suggested. Do you really think I can trust used? Thanks again for everything!!!

I would say yes, but then again, I have bought most of my gear from other users on this site. So maybe I am nubile to the used camera gear because I have been spoiled by the users here who take great care of their gear.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    A resounding, but qualified, YES! It depends upon from whom you buy the equipment.

If you are buying from the DGrin forum, you have a 99.999% chance of getting a winner. People here are friendly and look out for each other A LOT. Read/search the Positive Feedback Thread for information on your seller. If they are in there and the person giving feed back has a good history as well, then I would say your chances of getting a winner will closely approach 100%.

I have a friend, Memories by Melinda, who just bought a 17-55 f/2.8 IS from the forum. I actaully held it in my hands last night and it truely is LNIB - a wonderful purchase.

I bought a refurb EF 24-105 f/4L from B&H and love that lens. Would I buy one from a rental house - hmmm, maybe, maybe not. I would have to think long and hard about that and make a number of phone calls to talk to them about the lens first.

Bottom line - most used equipmentment is a good deal.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2009
    Usually buying from photography forums, e.g., Dgrin.com, PoTN, FredMiranda.com, you have members who take care of their gear very gingerly. Plus you also get the time to get to know the seller here, so you are more confident that you are getting a great purchase.

Whether or not there is still a warranty and that sort of security? That's probably the only thing that is uncertain.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009

Know your seller, and know your gear. Resarch what you want and the new, used, ebay and craigslist markets before you put your money down.

I have had great luck so far. I bought my flash used (but at a good price) from my local dealer. I got my grip from Fred Miranda (MINT condition, exactly as described - better than described, in fact). I got my Tam 17-50 off Craigslist.

HOWEVER... in each instance, I researched my brains out, made sure I knew the full range of reasonable prices for the gear, and was extremely careful to note the "tone" of the seller in email correspondences (I've found this is often a very good indicator of who's on the up and up and who isn't. I've yet to be wrong).

Also, while a lot of people slam Paypal, the ONLY time I had a problem on ebay, Paypal refunded the entire amount to me so I lost NOTHING. They really do what they say they will.

That said, if the price difference between new and used isn't enough - or between new and refurb, for that matter - I will pay the extra 10% for the new item so I get a warrantee card. But when the difference is closer to 30% or more, I'm more than happy to shop used. So far, I've been very happy with all of my used equipment purchases. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,884 moderator
    edited March 11, 2009
    I have quite a bit of photographic equipment that I have purchased used. There is an element of risk involved buying from a private party anywhere.

The least risk in used equipment is from a reputable used vendor like:

KEH
    B&H
    Adorama

About the most you would be out is return shipping as each of these have decent return privileges.

Buying used does mean that, in most cases, there is no real warranty, either for durability or suitability.

If you do decide to purchase from an individual and if the product is rather a large investment, even if only to you, then you should get some personal information like:

A real land phone number at which you can reach the seller with questions.

A real address to send the payment to, not just a P.O. box number. If you use PayPal or such for payment it is best to deal with a "verified" member as opposed to a new member.

Also get exact information about the possibility (or not) of a return. At least know what the details of the transaction are.

Like others here I have purchased many items from DGrinners and I am careful about major purchases. So far, I am happy to say, a have been very fortunate to deal with reputable and respectable individuals and have had very good luck.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2009
    Thanks!
    Thanks for all the great advice! I'm looking into my options thumb.gif --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    I really like your shots! clap.gif