Options

Baseball Shoots - First Timer

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited March 15, 2009 in Sports
OK, I have shot football and finally learned how to really do it by the end of the season :D

I just finished basketball and I am finally figuring it out by the end of the season. :D

I have been asked to do baseball now. Any tricks? Where do you like to position yourself for good action shots? Down the first base line? Any other tips for me so I can maybe learn BEFORE the end of the season? :scratch

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    First off, you're going to have trouble if 200mm is your longest lens. You need something in the 300-400mm range. 300mm barely gives acceptable corner-to-corner coverage.

Positioning depends ENTIRELY on the type of shot you want. 1st base line gives you shots of left handed pitchers and right handed batters. Third baseline the opposite. 1st baseline gives, IMO, the best shots of the shortstop on plays.

Assuming Nikon has the same ability to control focus with one button and shutter with another as Canon does, baseball is one of the sports where this is extremely beneficial. For most batters at the plate you don't need continuous focus (they're not going out of the focus plane during the swing). And it's very beneficial when you sit on a steal attempt or a play at a bag. In either case, you pre-focus at the bag or defender covering the bag and stop focus - then hit the shutter at the time of the play.

For some reason when people start shooting baseball they focus on the batters - in reality those are usually the most boring shots. It's a rare plate shot that's interesting. For sales to parents I make sure I have a standard shot of player in their hitting stance and a shot of them swinging with ball in frame. But that's about it. No need to take 500 shots of players at the plate. The action is 90% in the field.

Also, of all HS sports, baseball is probably the most dangerous to photographers so keep your witts about you. Even if you're sitting on a fielder (say the shortstop) for a shot or sitting with focus on 2nd for a play or steal attempt keep an eye on the plate - a foul ball can put you in the hospital.

Also be aware of the field of play. In Ohio, photographers are only supposed to be allowed on the field if there is a section specifically marked for it and considered out of play. Most fields here aren't marked and few umpires enforce it - which means even though you're in foul territory you're on the field of play. you do NOT want to be a photographer that interferes with the play - so for foul balls or missed throws make sure you can get on your horse and move out of the way.

When on the 1st baseline pay attention to the throwing angles - you may find yourself in a direct line from shortstop to first so a bad throw could be right in your melon.

The biggest obstacle and frustration for me are the 1st and 3rd base coaches. They have a horrible tendancy to not stay in their designated areas. THis is more of a problem when you have shorter lenses - with 400mm lenses you can back up further down the baseline and reduce their impact to your field of vision.

Outfielders - if you want shots of them and only have 200mm you'll have to slide down the fence line and sit on them - you're not going to get good shot opportunities from a normal shooting position.

Good luck!
  • Options
    attorneyjayattorneyjay Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    As John said, be aware of risks related to hit and thrown balls. Last year I was waiting for a high school baseball game to begin on the first base side next to (but outside) the batting cage. Actually, the "cage" is made of netting. My back was turned to the cage and facing the batters in the cage. Some kid smashed a low line drive right through the netting and into my lower back. Wow! Did that ever hurt! I had a huge red welt for days. If it had hit my head or I had been facing the cage who knows how much worse I'd have been injured.

There was obviously a hole in the cage netting I hadn't seen. Don't trust those batting cages! At least stand behind the batter if you are around one.

Jay
  • Options
    attorneyjayattorneyjay Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Locations for Shots
    Go behind the home plate backstop and take shots of the pitcher through his windup and delivery. Get low - sit or kneel on ground or use a short camp stool as I do. Press your lens up to the opening in the chain link backstop so the links don't obstruct the lens view. You will get some very interesting and even humorous facial expressions on the pitchers as they release the ball. Also, you will see tendons in throwing arms protruding as the pitcher gathers all his strength hurling the ball. Unique views for sure. I have even created a gallery in my baseball galleries solely for "Best Pitcher's Faces" which shows the interesting facial and other physical contortions the pitcher goes through as he delivers the pitch.

Chain link fences around many infields can be a challenge. Too high and your shots and angles are greatly impeded. However, at such places I bring a stepstool or even a six foot stepladder to get above the fence for an unobstructed view. I also crouch in the opening in the chain link fence near each dugout (between dugout and center of backstop where batters enter field) to get views from that position. When the team whose dugout you are near is in the field that position will generally be clear for you to use for taking pictures. Otherwise, if that team is batting then you'll be in the way of on deck batters or others milling around.

As in all sports, concentrate on shooting from locations and angles where you get get faces. You can't get always get every face in the play but try to get as many as you can.

If I had to choose only one loacation from which to shoot a baseball game it would be 1B side from where 1B coach stands to maybe 20 feet into RF. This allows maximum faces in most plays and good angles for most action. I usually do several shots of each pitcher from behind the plate, about half the game from the 1B side, and then half or less from the third base side assuming I can get access from these locations. Depending on the field I might try a couple other spots for a few unusual angles during the game.

Standard lenses: 70-200 2.8 for behind the backstop shots of pitcher. 100- 300mm f4 for most other (daytime) shots though I have a 1.5 crop factor so it's like using a 150mm - 450mm.
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Attorney Jay and JohnG --- Like always great advice Thank You. I shot Baseball from behind the fence and Softball from the Dugout and behind this past weekend. Batting is rough but the parents love it, boredom makes me cry:cry. Softball was two 10 run rules starting in the first... Wish it could have been better. But hey I got to take pictures in the daytime. I feel like a vampires sometimes...
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    "Go behind the home plate backstop and take shots of the pitcher through his windup and delivery. Get low - sit or kneel on ground or use a short camp stool as I do. Press your lens up to the opening in the chain link backstop so the links don't obstruct the lens view. You will get some very interesting and even humorous facial expressions on the pitchers as they release the ball."

Yep, what the attornyjay said! Here's one from last week shot through the green backstop netting at a high school tournament.
    Canon 1D MK III Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 AV mode at f/2.8 - 1/640 - 274mm.

Good luck
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Batting is rough but the parents love it, boredom makes me cry:cry.

David, in my experience parents love photos of their athletes. They'll take the batting ones if that's all you have to offer them. But when they can choose from other action shots they'll pick those. Even shots of athletes running can be good sellers. A shot of a head first slide is often 'gold'. The challenge for you is to be ready when those shots come along. Especially for softball with those face masks on the batting helmets. Shots like these:
    276853130_JSCsS-L.jpg

276854763_KrrJV-L.jpg

283106278_AW4pH-L.jpg

151763125_fmfuj-L.jpg

141610441_tfZXK-L-2.jpg
    141610416_eUzUb-L.jpg
    141610423_gK6vp-L.jpg
    140360769_8zmYu-L.jpg
    140355362_AKH2f-L.jpg
    71415783_UWsDs-L.jpg
    68970696_vp6uQ-L-1.jpg

288970376_FGviy-L.jpg

Just sell better than shots like these:
    63795914_bRkUa-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    femsistafemsista Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    My first real attempt at girls fast pitch
    I am a newbie in the sports world and am still using a point and shoot as I save up for my first DSLR. I went to my niece's tournament and took some shots and here is what I got. It was a good learning experience because I did see the limitations of my point and shoot and the challenges chain link fences can be. But anyhow, thought I would share a few.

489070170_pj6Bo-L.jpg

489110123_doDEw-L.jpg

489115032_ieGCN-L.jpg

489111498_PiBK5-L.jpg

489058370_Tmnap-L.jpg

489058466_aj3EY-L.jpg
    "Don't Let A Moment Pass You By"
    Alicia Holman Photography
    Family and Children's Photographer: Gwinnett County, GA
    www.aliciaholmanphotography.com
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    I didn't shoot much baseball last year, so I'm out of practice. As each season starts, I take a look back on last years stuff and realize how much work I have to do. I really sucked.

John is right on the focus thing. Go to menu setting a5 and set it to off. That will make it so that you focus with your right thumb using the AF-ON button. Prefocus on where the action will be and shoot when ready. It will probably be necessary to set a1 to release as well.

Shoot from as low a vantage point as you can find. Get a longer lens if you can. The Sigma 50-500 and others aren't bad options if you are shooting day games. The build quality doesn't come close to the Nikon stuff, but you're paying 1/3 to 1/4 the price for the reach.

I shoot the pitchers on warm up. I'm inside the fence, so it's the only time it's acceptable or safe to get to a good location. With the 50-500 I usually shoot from well beyond 1st or 3rd base. This does tend to minimize the impact of the coaches movement.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    All of you,

Thank you for the great advice. I have my first shoot Monday night so I will give it a shot, so to speak, and see how it goes.

If you don't ever hear from me again it is because I am no longer breathing after telling my wife I need a 50-500 lens. :D
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com