Options

Help with lens

cinorcinor Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 12, 2009 in Cameras
I purchased a used Canon 28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS USM lens to use with my Canon Rebel XT. I can't seem to get the auto focus to work on the lens. I read in the manual how to override the auto focus, but it doesn't mention how to return it to auto focus mode.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 11, 2009
    cinor wrote:
    I purchased a used Canon 28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS USM lens to use with my Canon Rebel XT. I can't seem to get the auto focus to work on the lens. I read in the manual how to override the auto focus, but it doesn't mention how to return it to auto focus mode.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Cinor, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

There should be a switch on the side of the lens which allows or defeats autofocus. It should look like:

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/images/canon-lens-28-135-f3.5-5.6-is-usm-lrg.jpg

The switch in this image is on the left and towards the base of the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 11, 2009
    P.S. If you did not get a user manual with the lens you can download the PDF version of the manual from Canon here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=7337#DownloadDetailAct

... under the "Drivers and Downloads" tab.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2009
    Yes, even though the switch is set to AF, it seems to either be overriding that setting or the lens is broken. :cry

I read in the manual that you can set it to 'Full-time manual focus' even when AF is set, so I'm hoping that's the case. I would like to set it back to the normal lens operating mode, where I chose the focus method using the AF/MF switch.

Thanks
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    In AF mode, you can always just rotate the MF ring and adjust the focus. If you switch the lens AF/MF switch to MF, no AF is available. This is what FTM (full time manual) is referring to, that even in AF mode, you can manually adjust the focus.

If you are having problems getting the camera to focus on the part of the image you specifically want, I'd recommend using the center AF point and focusing and recomposing. If you use all point AF and let the camera decide where to focus on, that may be the issue.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2009
    Thanks I'll try that
  • Options
    medinaphoto1medinaphoto1 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    cinor wrote:
    Thanks I'll try that

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens itself and maybe also on the body. Sometimes they may get a residue on them and cause it not to work.
    Robert Medina
    Medina Photography LLC
    My Website
    My Blog
    My product
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. Still not having any luck with it. I think it's time for a trip to my local camera shop.