Options

Initialize a Hard Drive ???

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited March 12, 2009 in Technique
Well joy has to turned to Frustration............and did you know you can use the "F" at least 50 times in one sentence :rofl and still make sense :D

I just got a new X-DRIVE and lucky me the Hard Drive came seperately, so I had to install it myself..... that was the easy bit, yup got that little screwdriver out wacked it in and turned it on and Yippy :clap :clap it works, lights come on, drive boots up, I can even get the FM radio to work on the thing but you think I can do anything else with it ??? :dunno :pissed :bash :bash ohhhhhhh joy bliss I can even use it as a card reader :rofl hehehe I scare myself sometimes I tell ya :rofl

Well apparently I need to initialize the drive so I can FORMAT it and be danged if I know how to do that..........who can tell me how to do that in a really simple way ??????
I'd sell you my first born, but I ain't got one ta sell :lol4

Im using Windows XP Pro....... and right now a hammer is looking real good.
I have to pack it away Im too tired its 1AM and I need to get to bed.
They ought to hire smart people to write these dang manuals cause whoever writes them obviously doesn't run it by a dummy before it goes to print.

You'd think they'd have a place on their website that shows stage by stage how to do this process wouldn't ya?

Awwwwwwww get to bed Skippy you can practice saying that "F" Word again in da morning dear :nod Skippy Frustrated Australia
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Hi Skippy,
    I just bought the Digibin a few weeks ago and an HD separately. I ran into the same problem; couldn't format it in the device and couldn't format it using the USB connector. I popped the HD into another laptop, booted from a boot CD and formated it from there. When I put it back into the Digibin, it worked like a champ. Now, from what I've read on your tech posts, I might recommend taking it into a local shot to have them format it for you. I'm not familiar with the x-drive, but this would almost certainly work. If the HD is rather large, then I'd try Fat32 as the format.

Just an idea.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Note: working on computers and engines are the two things that can make me swear enough to make a sailor blush:D.

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Thanks Chris
    I just bought the Digibin a few weeks ago and an HD separately. I ran into the same problem; couldn't format it in the device and couldn't format it using the USB connector. I popped the HD into another laptop, booted from a boot CD and formated it from there. When I put it back into the Digibin, it worked like a champ. Now, from what I've read on your tech posts, I might recommend taking it into a local shot to have them format it for you. I'm not familiar with the x-drive, but this would almost certainly work. If the HD is rather large, then I'd try Fat32 as the format.

Just an idea.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Note: working on computers and engines are the two things that can make me swear enough to make a sailor blush:D.
    Yup I think this is way beyond my capabilities........buggar!
    Wish I had known it was going to be sent to me like that, I'd have asked them to do it for me.......thanks for the reply....... Skippy (Australia)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    ........buggar!

skippy said "buggar" ... can she do that?? lol3.gif just sayin'
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Lucky You Couldn't Hear Me Last Night
    andy wrote:
    skippy said "buggar" ... can she do that?? lol3.gif just sayin'
    Well...... usually don't swear in the presence of others......it is important that one spells the word correctly......I suck at that too rolleyes1.gif Skippy :D

• Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    right click on your My Computer icon, go to 'manage,' and about two thirds the way down should be storage, or something like that. If we're talking about the same thing (maybe, maybe not) it should show you the unformatted drive there.

If it's internal, make sure your jumpers are in the right place. Instructions should have come with it, or have a sticker on the HD's case itself.

That's about the scope of my storage tech knowledge. Hope it helped.
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Tried that Already
    right click on your My Computer icon, go to 'manage,' and about two thirds the way down should be storage, or something like that. If we're talking about the same thing (maybe, maybe not) it should show you the unformatted drive there.

If it's internal, make sure your jumpers are in the right place. Instructions should have come with it, or have a sticker on the HD's case itself.

That's about the scope of my storage tech knowledge. Hope it helped.
    It wont let me access this external drive until it gets initialized ..... alas I now have to find someone to fix this for me as time is running out and I need this drive for my overseas trip........thanks for responding........ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Sorry that didn't help. Hope you get it fixed up before your trip!
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Skippy, sounds like you need to fdisk that drive. I found the following on the Vosonic site:
    How to use the Format and FDisk Function without PC ?
    2005-05-23 14:34:03

1. Switch on
    2. Press [ ESC ] button to find the desired device.
    3. Press [ COPY ] button to open the function options
    4. Use the direction button to high-light “ Format “ or “ FDisk “ functions.
    5. Press [ OK ] button to execute the function.

Does XP actually see it as a device? (I'm assuming you loaded the things drivers.)

hope this helps

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Thanks AL but that dont work either
    BigAl wrote:
    Skippy, sounds like you need to fdisk that drive. I found the following on the Vosonic site:

How to use the Format and FDisk Function without PC ?
    2005-05-23 14:34:03

1. Switch on
    2. Press [ ESC ] button to find the desired device.
    3. Press [ COPY ] button to open the function options
    4. Use the direction button to high-light “ Format “ or “ FDisk “ functions.
    5. Press [ OK ] button to execute the function.

Does XP actually see it as a device? (I'm assuming you loaded the things drivers.)

hope this helps regards alan
    Im taking it to work tomorrow I have a cousin who's a techohead, he's gonna see if he can work it if not he'll take the drive out and attach it to his computer and format it there.........thanks for your help, but alas dang thing just don't want to do what its suppose to do! dang dang dang.
    I know its me rolleyes1.gif and I am convinced its a minor problem.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    Drives Gone Back
    Skippy wrote:
    Well joy has to turned to Frustration............and did you know you can use the "F" at least 50 times in one sentence rolleyes1.gif and still make sense :D

I just got a new X-DRIVE and lucky me the Hard Drive came seperately, so I had to install it myself..... that was the easy bit, yup got that little screwdriver out wacked it in and turned it on and Yippy clap.gifclap.gif it works, lights come on, drive boots up, I can even get the FM radio to work on the thing but you think I can do anything else with it ??? ne_nau.gif :pissed :bash :bash ohhhhhhh joy bliss I can even use it as a card reader rolleyes1.gif hehehe I scare myself sometimes I tell ya rolleyes1.gif

Well apparently I need to initialize the drive so I can FORMAT it and be danged if I know how to do that..........who can tell me how to do that in a really simple way ??????
    I'd sell you my first born, but I ain't got one ta sell :lol4

Im using Windows XP Pro....... and right now a hammer is looking real good.
    I have to pack it away Im too tired its 1AM and I need to get to bed.
    They ought to hire smart people to write these dang manuals cause whoever writes them obviously doesn't run it by a dummy before it goes to print.

You'd think they'd have a place on their website that shows stage by stage how to do this process wouldn't ya?

Awwwwwwww get to bed Skippy you can practice saying that "F" Word again in da morning dear nod.gif Skippy Frustrated Australia
    The very nice man I brought the X-Drive off had me send it back and hopefully I will either have that one or a new one within the next week or so.
    Though it didn't work for me I really liked the new design of the X-Drive, it is much slimmer and sleek in design than its previous model, it's also lighter.
    I am happy to give it another go, as I am still very happy with the old unit, it's just not big enough for my needs for travelling.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    ErzexegetErzexeget Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2009
    easy to resolve:

1. right click on My Computer
    2. left click on Manage
    3. left click on Disk Manager
    4. right click on the icon of the hd
    5. left click on Initialize

best regards,

Erzexegt