Mini Challenge #72 Winner

jrnylstjrnylst Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited March 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This was much tougher than I ever could have imagined. I’ve decided I think I don’t want to enter any more challenges because now I know the potential consequence! Judging is WAY too hard!

I had six more on my honorable mention list, but there also were about 11 more that could have just as easily been there. Thank you again everyone for participating. I really enjoyed looking at the photos. Again, and again, and again. I just did not enjoy at all trying to narrow down my favorites!

Honorable Mentions (no order):

This is a wonderful photo with genuine emotion, as well as meeting the theme. The title adds much, too.

Porter
"Forget puppies, I want a deer!"
490560781_UsgQg-L.jpg

Great composition and exposure, especially considering it might NOT be posed..

davev
“1”
222818399_bGxak-XL.jpg

I’m a sucker for lizards, and I was thrilled when this was the first entry posted. I love the story the photo tells.

JAG
“Invasion of the iguanas”
424697364_B5sXe-L.jpg

This brought back many wonderful memories as well as meeting the theme. It’s an everyday shot, but not everyone takes the time to snap it, and some who do don’t bother with composition and exposure. You did both well.

sdways01
“Safety First”
484186759_WEer2-M.jpg

Third:

There were several bird shots in this challenge that caught my eye, and I think any of them could have held this position. The uniqueness of this one, the great title and the stunning backdrop made this one stand out.

Kinkajou
“the goodfeathers”
485022082_Ezkmq-M.jpg

Tie for Second (no order):

I’m so green with envy, I can’t even describe it. How lucky you were to have seen this, much less captured it so perfectly.

dlplumer
“Urban Hunter”
476422161_hDuzc-XL.jpg

Unusual, bright, captivating, makes you look twice, and great exposure and composition to boot. This came very close to winning. This is just a personal preference, but I really would have liked a formal title on this. (same for all the entries that did not have titles, for that matter)

jeffmeyers
“He really was hanging upside down in our back yard.”
291424958_6tVKx-L.jpg

First Place:

Wow. The skyline and waterfront are powerful, the lighting and hues perfect. And how lucky you were that bird sat still for a single frame!

coscorrosa
“Heron at sunrise”
346854285_GvMRY-L.jpg
alias Snowcatcher, but still a jrnylst at heart
http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Congrats to Ron, again, and all other participants.clap.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 14, 2009
    Congrates to Ron and all the runners up. Your right that there were many super dandy photos! Thanks for the mention of my iguanas.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    wings.gifbowdown.gifne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gifmwink.gifeek7.gif:D :ivar thumb.gifne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif :cry :D :ivar
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Good Job everyone!! clap.gif
    I don't know how you could pick between some of these. They were all great. jmylst, you did a good job. I nodded my way down your list. thumb.gif
    Glad it was you having to pick.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Wonderful entries!!!

Congratulations to Ron, and all the other participants clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    That's a wall hanger Ron. Gorgeous bowdown.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gif
  • PorterPorter Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Congratulations Ron!
    bowdown.gif Beautiful image! I love those gorgeous colors and the silhouette of the heron. There were so many funny entries! Congrats to all who entered!rolleyes1.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Congrats Ron!! Beautiful shot!!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Congrats to Ron! Wonderful image. Cloning that heron into your cityscape was a great idea! :poke

Seriously, good work, Ron!

And thanks for second place! Woohoo! I don't know what I'm going to do what all that prize money! rolleyes1.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Wow! Thanks for choosing my photo, there were a lot of great ones to choose from :D

Also thanks to everyone for the positive comments, I'll try and get the next mini-challenge up reasonably soon, just need an idea for a topic headscratch.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Congrats to Ron! Wonderful image. Cloning that heron into your cityscape was a great idea! :poke

Seriously, good work, Ron!

And thanks for second place! Woohoo! I don't know what I'm going to do what all that prize money! rolleyes1.gif

Don't you think I would have gotten rid of that third leg had I cloned the heron? lol3.gif

Here's the shot without the heron, you can see the stick on the piling that the heron was standing on:

346853535_i5m6p-L.jpg

Also, don't worry about the prize money, I'll split it with you.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Way to Go ....... Ron thumb.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Congrat's Ron.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif
    davev wrote:
    Congrat's Ron.
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    holy cow! i've never made it to 'honorable mention' before, and here i am in third. :wow that's a complete shock! but i'm not complainin' :D

thank you so much!

what great entries - it seems like everyone has stepped up their game over the last few months. keeps the rest of us on our toes!

and ron, like everyone has said, great shot. it's just beautiful.
    bowdown.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Congrats Ron! Great Photo!clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Way to go, Ron--super entry! And congrats to all finalists. This was a tough one. I'm glad I forgot the deadline!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com