Mini Challenge #73 - Curves

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited March 30, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This challenge begins now (Saturday March 14th) and ends at noon (EDT) Monday March 30th (original end date was midnight (EDT) Saturday March 28th, but I'm going to be out of town for the weekend and won't be able to judge until Tuesday).

Some of my favorite compositions involve curves, whether they're rivers, streams, roads, tracks (human, animal, or machine), or anything else that has a meandering line. Curves can serve to lead the viewers eye through the photo and unite seemingly disparate elements.

My all time favorite Ansel Adams photo "The Tetons - Snake River" is a classic example of an S-curve composition.

Here are few (probably too many :D) examples of my own. Even though these are all landscapes, that is NOT a requirement. Curves can show up in all types of photography.

#1:

438626876_WvHb3-L.jpg

#2:

481539336_sKg4T-L.jpg

#3:

386334656_pRg6T-L.jpg

#4:

283535279_9tAAa-L.jpg

#5:

354665161_Bkxmk-L.jpg

#6:

472199763_tGBPY-L.jpg

#7:

491206574_Z4uW4-L.jpg

#8:

407781266_ugZmh-L.jpg

GENERAL RULES

1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, put an asterisk (*) next to the title of the image.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:

1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don’t let this just be an entry thread!
6. Don’t be hesitant – share 'em and enter!

Comments