Options

Well, about that wedding tease a couple weeks ago...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited March 17, 2009 in Weddings
....I completely forgot to post the accompanying thread. What was that, like 3 weeks ago? Man, I'll be lucky if I am not tarred and feathered and kicked out... Heathertarred&feathered. :lolI crack myself up. Sorry for that too.:rofl

And so, a little belated but here nonetheless:

Bridal prep photos
1. Happy tilt, happy bride.
490298333_uaUwg-M-1.jpg

2. I rented a 100mm macro so I had a ton of fun with that puppy. I can see why Shima enjoys hers so much! But sheesh what a shallow DOF.490587842_yjuAw-M.jpg

3. Yeah, this one took me like 10 minutes to set up. The ring had a hard time not swinging down under the polish. I am glad I didn't give up with my original plan, it worked.
490300820_NupFU-M-1.jpg

4. After she was gowned... (Don't think that is actually a word, but you know what I mean) we took some photos in the hotel room.
467819446_wcxFT-M-1.jpg

5. Yeah, I like this one way more in theory than in actuality.
I wish her hands / arms were in a bit of a different position (not so hyper-extended), but I am most happy with the light we were able to get with the reflector + a couple flashes. Plus this photo is proof that there actually is blue sky in Alaska in January. Who'd have thought?
490324074_UEVre-M-1.jpg

6. 490324994_6wMq7-M-1.jpg

7. The groom came down for a few photos before heading over to the venue. This pose, btw works GREAT for the heavy a.k.a. voluptuous brides. It smooths/ tightens under the chin & under the arm problems. Try it you just might like it. The secret is to get them kneeling tall on a chair and have them reach up to the groom. My temporary version of a face lift.:D
490337109_WaUdB-M-1.jpg

8. I was trying to use some of Nicole Vaughns actions... I just constantly toned it down afterwards. I try, I tell you!490339872_pMKo3-M-1.jpg

9. Oh yeah, I know we all "love" selective coloring, but for some reason I just had to for this shot. This was one of those "shooting from the hip" photos.
490343760_y2Y5e-M-1.jpg

10. This photo craaacks me up. It is the groom and one of his groomsmen. Looks like one of those "other types of ceremony" photos.:rofl
490355831_RddJc-M-1.jpg

11. The cake from the back. For some reason at this venue they always set the cake up in front of these nasty double doors. So I have been shooting them from behind to hopefully combat the ugly utilitarian look. But it does make "letter cake toppers" backwards. I got some from the front too, so stop your worries. This one was just better. Hmmm, I just now thought of flipping the photo horizontally. That would work.
490406482_6Be3W-M.jpg

12. I wanted to share a little of my evil business tactics with you. I make up these little cards and its included in each of my wedding packages. Basically it is an invitation and instructions for the guests to view the wedding photos online. They are made up to match the bride and groom's wedding colors and styles and placed at each place setting. If the b & g do an engagment session with me then I put one of their photos on it. It has worked really well to snag some weddings by referrals. I have the cards printed at overnight prints for something like $14.99 + shipping. The clients love it... the guests love it... and I feel oh-so-sneaky. (There should be laws against decorating with fake candles. LOL)
490632935_SSBBP-M.jpg

13. I have never had a bride like this. She wanted a spontaneous group photo of her with basically every single guest. Not that we planned it that way ahead of time, but when she was saying her goodbyes to each person she would get my attention, and I would hot foot it over there to get one of these photos. I work for the bride, so whatever she wants is just fine and dandy, however unusual! I used the 580EXII on camera and another 580EXII on a light stand for pretty much the whole reception. I liked it better than using Jeff's light on a stick tactics because I always knew I had a little fill from the front. I kept the onCF dialed down to around -1.

490637059_HTHVm-M.jpg
14. The dance
490649325_A5sLq-M.jpg

490651664_VHFmm-M.jpg
490702211_P4n5i-M.jpg

C & C always welcome

And sorry for the long wait. : )

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Ya know Fred, I just adore your creative compositions...tilts where they work, colors where they work, conversions where they work. These are all very nice. Was certainly worth the wait and always enjoy seeing your work.thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Reception at the Sheffield Depot? Looks like it. I have one there in a little over a month. Anything I should know about the space going in?
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    Reception at the Sheffield Depot? Looks like it. I have one there in a little over a month. Anything I should know about the space going in?
    Yup- I had 6 there last year. Though this coming September they won't be renting it out any more. But I'll be glad to have a reception somewhere else. Laughing.gif

There are 2 different color temps in that same room. 3 if you have daylight. It makes life a joy! Plan on swapping around those gels a lot depending on where you are and what the dominant light is. The tunnel has fun fake northern lights overhead. Though it is pretty darn dark in there. You can request to shoot from the balcony and trestle. Just ask the wedding coordinator lady and she'll let you out there. If the ceremony is downstairs MAKE SURE that your b & g make aisles along the outside. Otherwise you'll have to use the center aisle for all your maneuvering. And it is a long skinny room so that is a pain. It is ok for you to park in the service parking area right outside the building, not in the garage. Much more handy.

Hows that for pointers? Good luck!
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Great! thanks, lucky for me the ceremony is elsewhere (read: dark cave... Oops I mean church). I was wondering about the color temps. There will be plenty of daylight streaming in that time of year, and of course the lovely fluorescent/incandescent mixing. I guess the upside is that the daylight ought help bring up the ambient level some. I will check into using the patio, good tip. Also great news about the parking that will help a lot.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    I'm still a fan!
    Jaye
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    these are looking great Heather! I like the inside tip about the facelift and thinning secrets :)
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Know what really sucks?

It's when you write someone a nice long in-depth review/critique and get zonked by Dgrins pathetically short fuse....and it gets lost when you log-in all over again.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Know what really sucks?

It's when you write someone a nice long in-depth review/critique and get zonked by Dgrins pathetically short fuse....and it gets lost when you log-in all over again.rolleyes1.gif
    That sucks for BOTH of us. Thanks for the effort anyhow!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    jayegirl wrote:
    I'm still a fan!
    Thanks!
    these are looking great Heather! I like the inside tip about the facelift and thinning secrets :)

I know! I love that pose. It really flatters the lady.
    Here is another alternative to the kiss:
    187273818_RAdxU-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    That sucks for BOTH of us. Thanks for the effort anyhow!

Its okay...Ill hit you up later....Im cooking right now.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Know what really sucks?

A tip - usually you can recover the typed data by clicking on the "Back" button once or twice. Then, you can select all the text and copy it into the Windows Clipboard. Start a new session, click on the "Reply" button, paste the text back in, and .... done!

Or, you can learn to type :D

Heather - as always, I love your photography. It's really hard to pick a favorite. These are, as usual, simply wonderful.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    :ps

There wasn't a Tar and Feather emoticon so I figure this one would suffice with the changing words... like wax on wax off, only tar on feather on..
    12. I wanted to share a little of my evil business tactics with you. I make up these little cards and its included in each of my wedding packages. Basically it is an invitation and instructions for the guests to view the wedding photos online. They are made up to match the bride and groom's wedding colors and styles and placed at each place setting. If the b & g do an engagment session with me then I put one of their photos on it. It has worked really well to snag some weddings by referrals. I have the cards printed at overnight prints for something like $14.99 + shipping. The clients love it... the guests love it... and I feel oh-so-sneaky. (There should be laws against decorating with fake candles. Laughing.gif)

I think that is a great tactic! Evil and sinister? Most likely. rolleyes1.gif {Insert maniacal laughter]
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2009
    Okay....here's the...shorter version.

1-Awesome "moment catch"!!!. The flash is a tad strong...hot....the door frame being so bright kinda irks me, but the contageous emotion carries it off. Maybe a tighter vignette to kill that door frame a bit?......I like the way you composed this.clap.gif

2-Yup...that's pretty shallow. Going to a smaller aperture may have helped....a tiny bit....probably not much.

3-I like this idea. Put some scotch tape in your camera bag.mwink.gif

4- Hotel room windows...with sheers...can give some incredible light. I love this shot and the treatment.clap.gif

5-Awesome exposure!!! At first glance I thought it was over tilted, but the more I look the more I like all the lines disecting it into pieces. Nice!!!
    6-Im not a fan of the action.....and think a lower camera angle would have been better at this focal length. Too much convergence for me....but...the light here is scrumptious.bowdown.gif

7-Nice shot...and a great tip!thumb.gif

8- I like the light...and the warmth. Next time get rid of the newspapers on the table first......cross her feet opposite this to help hide the shoe bottoms......and theres that action again.....eek7.gif

9- This is a well captured image. Technically, we could find flaws....but it speaks volumes to the tempo and mood of the day. I love it. I am not a fan of selective color, but will save that argument for another day...... Ill give you a pass on this one!clap.gif

10- The tilt doesnt seem purposeful. Straighten it out. The lighting is very nice.thumb.gif

11-Its a good shot, and the BG and bokeh look great. I think if you side lit from a more severe angle we might get more details in the two most prominent snowflakes. Those on the unlit side have plenty detail.:D

12-good idea.thumb.gif

13-I actually like this idea BETTER than lining up the entire guest list for something more formal. You did a good job....barely a little reflection in the older guy's specs. thumb.gif

14- This is lovely. Again, the tilt doesnt seem purposefull....straighten it up. Also, the shoe mounted fill seems a tad strong here to me.....its a solid exposure none the less.

15-I like the light here a LOT. Her expression is also fun. Nice capture.thumb.gif

16- Everything here is perfect except for their facial expressions. Composition, light, focus, exposure...A+. Facial expressions....eh.......frankly I keep hearing lines from scary movies...."They're Heeee ere".......I might ditch this one. Sorry.

My original respose to these may have been a little less blunt. I love your work, and would be perfectly content to have captured any of these myself. Im only offering my....opinion....which often helps....as it is we photographers generally form atattchments to images and sometimes fail to see where improvements(even minor ones) can be made.

In general....you done good. Watch the strength of that on camera fill. Ease up on that action.thumb.gif

• Options
    edited March 15, 2009
    A tip - usually you can recover the typed data by clicking on the "Back" button once or twice. Then, you can select all the text and copy it into the Windows Clipboard. Start a new session, click on the "Reply" button, paste the text back in, and .... done!

Or, you can learn to type :D

Heather - as always, I love your photography. It's really hard to pick a favorite. These are, as usual, simply wonderful.

Learn to type?eek7.gif

Im still trying to figure out this little green square on my camera dial.....

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Wonderful photos!!! clap.gif My favorites are

#2 (eye lashes): very pretty detail shot, I envy you for the macro lens!!
    #5 (in front of the window) FUN, love it! :D
    #6 is beautiful too, only wish she wouldn't be in the corridor
    #7 (posed pic)... never thought of such a pose, but it does look awesome, and works perfectly! iloveyou.gif
    #10 (2 guys): hilarious, love it!
    #11 (cake): beauuuutiful!!!!
    #15 (dance): Nice catch :D

clap.gifbarb
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Okay....here's the...shorter version.

1-Awesome "moment catch"!!!. The flash is a tad strong...hot....the door frame being so bright kinda irks me, but the contageous emotion carries it off. Maybe a tighter vignette to kill that door frame a bit?......I like the way you composed this.clap.gif

2-Yup...that's pretty shallow. Going to a smaller aperture may have helped....a tiny bit....probably not much.

3-I like this idea. Put some scotch tape in your camera bag.mwink.gif

4- Hotel room windows...with sheers...can give some incredible light. I love this shot and the treatment.clap.gif

5-Awesome exposure!!! At first glance I thought it was over tilted, but the more I look the more I like all the lines disecting it into pieces. Nice!!!
    6-Im not a fan of the action.....and think a lower camera angle would have been better at this focal length. Too much convergence for me....but...the light here is scrumptious.bowdown.gif

7-Nice shot...and a great tip!thumb.gif

8- I like the light...and the warmth. Next time get rid of the newspapers on the table first......cross her feet opposite this to help hide the shoe bottoms......and theres that action again.....eek7.gif

9- This is a well captured image. Technically, we could find flaws....but it speaks volumes to the tempo and mood of the day. I love it. I am not a fan of selective color, but will save that argument for another day...... Ill give you a pass on this one!clap.gif

10- The tilt doesnt seem purposeful. Straighten it out. The lighting is very nice.thumb.gif

11-Its a good shot, and the BG and bokeh look great. I think if you side lit from a more severe angle we might get more details in the two most prominent snowflakes. Those on the unlit side have plenty detail.:D

12-good idea.thumb.gif

13-I actually like this idea BETTER than lining up the entire guest list for something more formal. You did a good job....barely a little reflection in the older guy's specs. thumb.gif

14- This is lovely. Again, the tilt doesnt seem purposefull....straighten it up. Also, the shoe mounted fill seems a tad strong here to me.....its a solid exposure none the less.

15-I like the light here a LOT. Her expression is also fun. Nice capture.thumb.gif

16- Everything here is perfect except for their facial expressions. Composition, light, focus, exposure...A+. Facial expressions....eh.......frankly I keep hearing lines from scary movies...."They're Heeee ere".......I might ditch this one. Sorry.

My original respose to these may have been a little less blunt. I love your work, and would be perfectly content to have captured any of these myself. Im only offering my....opinion....which often helps....as it is we photographers generally form atattchments to images and sometimes fail to see where improvements(even minor ones) can be made.

In general....you done good. Watch the strength of that on camera fill. Ease up on that action.thumb.gif

Jeff! Thanks so much for retyping all that. I love to hear your perspective! This is why I am so addicted to Dgrin and all you other crazy people. And you don't sound harsh in one iota. Thanks for being realistic with me!

Somehow other folks can make actions work out so lovely... But for some reason I just can't seem to get anything other than split tones to work out for me. ne_nau.gif I think someone (Angie? or Llewellen?) should write a tutorial on how they are making such good use out of them... To me they seem like they just set the white and black point, crank the contrast and saturation and perhaps provide a simple mask for the hair and skin. Nothing really that doesn't take 2 seconds to do on your own.

Hopefully you won't have bad dreams after seeing #16... I`d hate to be the cause of you loosing sleep! Laughing.gif! :haha

Meanwhile, what can I do (except straighten, reprocess and practice) but say thanks for a great realty based critique..... I'll probably read it 20 times.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009

Jeff! Thanks so much for retyping all that. I love to hear your perspective! This is why I am so addicted to Dgrin and all you other crazy people. And you don't sound harsh in one iota. Thanks for being realistic with me!

Somehow other folks can make actions work out so lovely... But for some reason I just can't seem to get anything other than split tones to work out for me. ne_nau.gif I think someone (Angie? or Llewellen?) should write a tutorial on how they are making such good use out of them... To me they seem like they just set the white and black point, crank the contrast and saturation and perhaps provide a simple mask for the hair and skin. Nothing really that doesn't take 2 seconds to do on your own.

Hopefully you won't have bad dreams after seeing #16... I`d hate to be the cause of you loosing sleep! Laughing.gif! :haha

Meanwhile, what can I do (except straighten, reprocess and practice) but say thanks for a great realty based critique..... I'll probably read it 20 times.

I don't use actions. There is a handful of filters I use.....but try to use it in small amounts. I agree with you on what they CAN do.....and I don't like that...usually. I always apply them to a dupe layer so I can adjust the overall effect via opacity. Then of course...a mask can be made to tone it down even farther in more select areas of the image. There is something to be said of great straight color images...and beautifully tones black and whites....sans actions.

Im not losing sleep over your photos....Im losing sleep over mine....up late editing!!!

FWIW.....we are all familiar with selective focus and shallow DOF techniques. We know what they are supposed to "look" like. When an action/filter is used that applies a softish....dreamy whatever effect on an entire image it needs to be set up via masks so that the effect falls in line with what we are familiar with as in shallow DOF. That is...usually...a gradient mask...or two.....that gradually adds in the effect as the distance falls off from the subject. Sheesh....did that make sense. Anyway...thats how I see it...and how I do it...if I do it at all.

Trust your eyes...stay true to YOU!!!thumb.gif

Now that I said that I can own up to downloading textures/overlays in while I typed that!!!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Heathertarred&feathered, lol that cracked me up. as usually I love what you've posted here! Great lighting and wonderful processing :)

2 and 11 are my favorites from below :)

I too own a 100 macro, it's a lot of fun w/ the right application!