Options

What DSLR for under $600?

ManOverboardManOverboard Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 19, 2009 in Cameras
Hello all,

I've been taking some pics with my point and shoot and I want to upgrade to a DSLR. My main reasons are that I want my pictures to be better in terms of clarity and color. I also want to dabble into HDR techniques.

Here is a link to some of my shots so you get an idea of my skill level:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1063518#post1063518

I've been lucky enough to get a gift certificate to Bestbuy for $500. :ivar

So I'm probably going to get the camera there. I was thinking about getting the D40. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Is the $600 going to be the entire budget or $600+$500 BB card?
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Hello all,

I've been taking some pics with my point and shoot and I want to upgrade to a DSLR. My main reasons are that I want my pictures to be better in terms of clarity and color. I also want to dabble into HDR techniques.

Here is a link to some of my shots so you get an idea of my skill level:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1063518#post1063518

I've been lucky enough to get a gift certificate to Bestbuy for $500. :ivar

So I'm probably going to get the camera there. I was thinking about getting the D40. What do you think?

I got my D60 from Bestbuy in January for $550... this included the body, the 18-55mm lens, AND the 55-200mm lens. It was an incredible deal then, and apparently still is now. The current D60 package from Bestbuy is the body, the 18-55mm lens, and a bag for $599. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999107600050018&st=d60&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=pcmprd107500050018

The D40 (with 18-55mm lens) looks to be on sale at $449. I think the improvements to the D60 is worth the $150 extra, but then I'm biased a bit towards the D60 being an owner of one. heh If you're not in a hurry, wait a bit to see if they do the deal I got again.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    I'd recommend you look into used bodies but since you're limited to BB, I'd also recommend you look at the Olympus E-520 with that budget. It is FAR more feature rich than the D40 and D60.
    You need to consider what you want long-term too, as you'll be buying into a system whichever path you end up taking.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Most if not all entry level dslr's should meet your needs if you are looking for better clarity (resolution?) and color.

The Nikon D40 is a nice camera, but I personally feel that it's outdated now with a very simple AF system, 6MP sensor, and no sensor dust reduction system.

Looking at BB's site, looks like D40 is on sale for $449 which is a pretty good price though. If you want to stay under the $500 limit, this may be a nice way to go.

If you can swing it, I'd also recommend the Canon Rebel XS. It seems to be on sale for $450 right now and it comes with a 10MP sensor with dust reduction, a stabilized kit lens, better AF, bigger LCD, and many other improvements.

If you are thinking about building up a system with many lenses and accessories, Nikon or Canon may be the way to go as they tend to have the most accessories and numerous bodies available.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    I'd recommend you look into used bodies but since you're limited to BB, I'd also recommend you look at the Olympus E-520 with that budget. It is FAR more feature rich than the D40 and D60.
    You need to consider what you want long-term too, as you'll be buying into a system whichever path you end up taking.

I will agree here and also say....the D40 while a decent beginner cam, sticks you with only being able to buy certain lenses as it does not have a drive screw for the majority of Nikons GOOD lenses.........

I am trying to talk myself into jumping to Olympus (from Konica Minolta 7D's)......but I really need Nikons ability to connect to a gps unit to log the long./latt. of my landscapes done out in the wilds of western Kansas......
    Oly rally is a feature rich system and not one that will just bust the bank to get started in........CSwinton's brother Jonathon is a Pro in Manhattan Ks and he shoot Oly for everything and loves it...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    If you just need the body only I'd say the D200 deal at Best Buy for $599 no doubt about it.

However, if you need EVERYTHING for $600, I'd say look for a D60 kit deal, or D40 / D40x.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Art...

Sounds like companies are coming out with hotshoe mounted GPS units that work for many, or all, brands.

Just one I found. http://www.solmeta.com/en/
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Is it me or does the picture taken by the D60 look to be better quality than the one taken from the Rebel XS. headscratch.gif

I got these two pics from Steves Digicams, they are pretty close in settings used to take the picture:

Canon Rebel:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_rebel_xs/samples/IMG_0031.JPG

Nikon D60:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/nikon_d60/samples/DSC_0016.JPG
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    I'm with Art on this one, for the amount of features that Oly gives compared to Canon or Nikon it's tough to beat.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    I'm selling a 20D with a 28mm 2.8 lens for $500 but would be happy to trade it for your gift card...ne_nau.gif
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Is it me or does the picture taken by the D60 look to be better quality than the one taken from the Rebel XS. headscratch.gif

I got these two pics from Steves Digicams, they are pretty close in settings used to take the picture:

Canon Rebel:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_rebel_xs/samples/IMG_0031.JPG

Nikon D60:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/nikon_d60/samples/DSC_0016.JPG

In response to your questions, Nikon cameras seem to have their default saturation turned up a lot more than Canon cameras which make them "pop" more using the default settings. If you turn up the saturation on a Canon or turn down the saturation on a Nikon you can get nearly identical results from both cameras.

Canon saturation turned up to match:
    saturation%20up.jpg

Nikon saturation turned down to match:
    saturation%20down.jpg
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

• Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Art...

Sounds like companies are coming out with hotshoe mounted GPS units that work for many, or all, brands.

Just one I found. http://www.solmeta.com/en/

Toshido,

Don't wanna hijack ...Nikon is the only cam mfg'er that you can plug directly into camera and record directly into the exif......yes there are plenty of tiny units but if your cam clock and the gps clock get off by even a few seconds it can mark the wrong frame as you run it thru the gps software.....I have been using this method for over 5yrs and to me it sucks............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    So would it be safe to say that the Canon Rebel XS, Nikon 60D and the Olympus E-520 are pretty equal in terms of picture quality?

What features does the Olympus have that make it more attractive than the other two? From the product spec sheets the following are features that the other two don't have:

1. More megapixels, 11.8 vs 10.75 and 10.5
    2. Face Detection

P.S.: jrmyrnsm, thanks for the offer but I'm looking to buy new.thumb.gif
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    So would it be safe to say that the Canon Rebel XS, Nikon 60D and the Olympus E-520 are pretty equal in terms of picture quality?

What features does the Olympus have that make it more attractive than the other two? From the product spec sheets the following are features that the other two don't have:

2. Face Detection

The megapixels are a wash- you won't see any difference between 11.8 and 10.5 megapixels. Face detection? Sounds cool but I haven't seen it myself.

E-520 also has:
    Image stabilization in the body - with Canon & Nikon you can get this with lenses, but GOOD lenses with IS are going to be costly.
    I've handled kit lenses from Nikon, Canon, and Olympus and I think the Olympus kit lenses are better quality (which, with your budget it's likely you'll be starting with a kit lens).

As far as image quality, all will be good. The Canon will have the best high ISO quality (probably notice a difference at ISO 800 and higher).

You should go feel them for yourself - they'll all take good pics, you need to see what feels good in your hands and what you'll be happy with!
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009

2. Face Detection

I would say that of those three, Canon probably has the best image quality. You can look at dpreview and compare but in all honesty, the MP difference won't make any real world difference. Upto ISO 400 in RAW, I doubt you'd be able to see much is any real world difference as well. The CMOS sensor from Canon tends to be a bit less noisy than the CCD sensor from the Nikon and the Live MOS (IIRC) of the Olympus at about ISO 400 and up. The dynamic range of the Olympus maybe a touch less as well.

IIRC, even in RAW, Olympus and Nikon tends to have a bit more vibrant colors than Canon but this isn't a big deal as you will adjust such things. I take it that you will start with shooting in JPEG in which case, you can tailor the saturation/contrast/sharpness to your preferences in the camera itself so that you don't have to do those things on the computer after the picture is taken.

IMO, I think all three of those cameras will be fine. Especially if you are not looking to expand your system and maybe plan on getting a body with a kit lens and maybe an entry level telephoto zoom lens as many folks do.

Out of those three choices, I personally would prefer the XS as it comes with a free RAW developer program while Nikon and Olympus gives you a trial version that you have to pay to upgrade, it would have less noise in high ISO shots, and it has the biggest accessories (actually a tie with Nikon). I have an Olympus dslr for daily carrying around and such as well, and think they are nice, but the 2x crop factor which makes it more difficult to get shallow depth of field, and the small viewfineder a bit tough if this was to be my only camera.

Having said all that, I'd also recommend going to Best Buy where you intend to buy and check them out as well. See which fits your hands the best, which feels too light or too heavy. All those cameras are pretty nice and will serve you well.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009

Yeah I figured you would probably go that route.thumb.gif I agree with many of the others, you are going to get similar quality from any of the mentioned cameras so you should go try them out for yourself! Good luck with your decision!

• Options
    stevodstevod Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Having said all that, I'd also recommend going to Best Buy where you intend to buy and check them out as well. See which fits your hands the best, which feels too light or too heavy. All those cameras are pretty nice and will serve you well.

Having just been through a similar process, I feel that this is the most important part. For me (I photograph interiors that I work on but I'm not a prefessional photographer) I felt that after reading a heap of reviews I'm unlikely to notice the performance differences in practice.

Holding various bodies/lenses in your hand though, taking pics, using the buttons and screen menus and so on - these differences feel very meaningful.

Hope this helps,

S
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Oly will give you the best images without post processing, with the Olympus you can shoot and use mostly jpegs and get really good images, while the Canon & Nikon require more time with raw developing to get what you want....also I like the 4/3 format over 3/2 alot of the time (its closer to 8x10 11x14 ect so less cropping)
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Don't forget Pentax. Legacy lens support, similar feature set to the Olympus, and the K200D is somewhat weathersealed. I love mine, bought it for 599 CAD, added a 50mm 1.4 and a flash later, and for well under a grand I have a very capable kit. Pentax also allows off-camera wireless flash modes, so you can experiment and learn quite a bit without shelling out for lots of extra stuff. A lens, a flash, and a body... take some time to learn to use it, and it does a great job.

Just throwing an option out there. The Canon/Nikon lines really do offer a lot in terms of accessories, available lenses, image quality and internet knowledge. I just found Pentax suited my needs, and the way I shoot.
  • Options
    PremiumMaltPremiumMalt Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    I got the sony a300 18-70mm lens, 70-300mm lens, and a extra battery for $750 at bestbuy. Package deal.
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I will agree here and also say....the D40 while a decent beginner cam, sticks you with only being able to buy certain lenses as it does not have a drive screw for the majority of Nikons GOOD lenses.........
    I disagree with this. The D40 /D60 cameras will autofocus with any Nikon lens labeled AF-S, and this includes some mighty fine ones.

I have a D200, D60, and D40 (primarily for my wife). I think the D60 is a step better camera than the D40, and produces images as good as or better than the D200. And I feel no limitation as to lenses. I use the Nikkor 16-85VR (rated 4-star by Photozone.de) primarily, but also have a 12-24 AF-S (also 4-star), 70-300VR (one of Nikon's sharpest), a Nikkor 17-55/2.8 AF-S, 18-105VR, and 18-200VR. I also have on order a new 35 f/1.8 AF-S. That covers the waterfront pretty well for my shooting.

There are also plenty of high-end Nikkors that feature AF-S: 28-70/2.8, 70-200VR AF-S, 105VR macro AF-S, and the newer 14-24/2.8 and 24-70/2.8 that are AF-S.
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:

Agreed, look into the E-520 body. I shoot with an E510. I believe the crop factor is 2x with the Oly. Nikon and Canon, I believe is 1.3. Yes the 4/3 high end lenses are a little pricey. (High Grade, Super High Grade). But Sigma has recently released some nice 4/3 lenses for the Oly. You have the built in image stabilization on the camera body versus the high cost of having this feature in the lense. Just my thoughts. This was shot with my Oly 510 with Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lense. Hope this helps you out.

Ron

491563107_32DnY-M.jpg
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    b08rsa wrote:
    Nikon and Canon, I believe is 1.3.

No, 1.5 for Nikon. Canon is 1.6, I believe.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,896 moderator
    edited March 18, 2009
    jthomas wrote:
    No, 1.5 for Nikon. Canon is 1.6, I believe.

Canon is pretty much crop 1.6x with the exception of the 1D series which are crop 1.3x. (So the 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII are all crop 1.3x format cameras, but they require the EF series lenses.)

Canon full-frame format cameras are the 1Ds series and the 5D series. (So the 1Ds and 1Ds MKII/MKII, 5D and 5D MKII are all full frame.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cpallencpallen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    upgrading from point and shoot to dslr
    I recently upgraded and it's a painful decision. Noting that you are interested in HDR, you should consider picking a camera that offers automatic exposure bracketing - which would rule out the d40/x/60 series.

Good Luck,
    Courtney in Seattle
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2009
    jthomas wrote:
    I disagree with this. The D40 /D60 cameras will autofocus with any Nikon lens labeled AF-S, and this includes some mighty fine ones.

Then we agree to disagree on this part of the matter.....however you look at it they are restricting you to only AF-S lenses if you want auto focus.ne_nau.gif

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Olympus Olympus Olympus!
    The E-520 is feature packed for an amazing price. You won't go wrong with it. Plus the Olympus lenses are incredible.