Options

Misc noobie shots..

NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
edited May 17, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hey all,

Been lurking here for a while. Figured I'd step forward and offer some shots for critique. I got home from work yesterday in time to have an hour or so of decent light to go play in, which is somewhat novel. For months I've been getting home well after sunset.. and leaving in near dark as well! Thankfully spring is here and I've got a chance to go play again. :clap

One thing you'll have to excuse is the lame titles for the photos. I'm not nearly creative enough to shoot, process AND name the photos creatively!

This is the results of a quick walk around my apartment building. I live in a mid 1800's textile mill that has been converted to apartments. It and the surrounding industrial areas are often good for a shot or two. This time I decided to 'limit' myself and take nothing but the camera and 70-200/4. It took me a few snaps to get into the mindset, but I think I did okay once or twice.
43306373.jpg
Fire Box

200mm 1/101s @ f/4.0 (ISO 100)

43306375.jpg
Fire Plug

78mm 1/202s @ f/4.0 (ISO 400)

43306378.jpg
Hydrant

200mm 1/202s @f/4.0 (ISO 200)

43306380.jpg
Sun Clock

200mm 1/318s @ f/4.0 (ISO 100)

Part of yesterday's exercise was to get myself to use something other than ISO 100. Mentally I find myself still stuck thinking like I'm using my old P&S, where only 50 and 100 were really useful. Now I've got decent performance up to 400 or 800, yet I hardly ever use it. Instead I try to pull off 1/40s handheld at 200mm!

Eh, I'm learning..

Comments welcome, thanks fer lookin'!

-Bubs

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    1st welcome thumb.gif
    I can see/smell :D your juices flowing (creative ones), good job thumb.gif
    I like the light in 1st image
    I would have liked the last one more then I do if you'd show the whole clock, JMHO.

For what qualifies my comments, please see my sig. below :lol4

Keepum coming thumb.gif
  • Options
    is300soonis300soon Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    my friend and I are having a Fire Hydrant contest. best out of 20 takes 50$

I have a pic of one hooked up to a truck and one with a broken valve early in the am.

Nice pics
    D
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Thanks ya'll..
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 17, 2005
    yo Bubba - happy delurking :D

nice stuff here. glad you decided to share. I like your creative cropping on the fire callbox and the clock. lots of nice colors, light and textures.

looking forward to seeing more. thumb.gif