Options

Picacho Peak

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Picacho Peak is about a half hour drive nortwest of Tucson Arizona. I have driven passed it on my way to Phoenix scores of times and I always say that someday I will stop there to see the wildflowers. Today was the day, but there were no wildflowers. These were all taken with the 10-22.

491921426_xKYEZ-XL.jpg

491997022_xuNxU-XL.jpg

492022240_SRKoo-XL.jpg

492011199_GYANs-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    nice photos Dan !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nice shots, gotta love those cacti. I was there a few years ago with only a p&s.

All but the second seem to have a yellowish tint, was this intentional or is it just my eyes?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Nice shots, gotta love those cacti. I was there a few years ago with only a p&s.

All but the second seem to have a yellowish tint, was this intentional or is it just my eyes?

Intentional Bryan. I've been experimenting with PP Tiffen filters to see what kind of aesthetic affects I can create.

Dan
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Are those blue/gold Tiffen filters? I tried these kinds of filters and determined that I could achieve better, selective results with PS and post-processing software.

Nice series, Dan. thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Are those blue/gold Tiffen filters? I tried these kinds of filters and determined that I could achieve better, selective results with PS and post-processing software.

Nice series, Dan. thumb.gif

I am using PP software Jeff (Tiffen DX) as an Aperture plugin. No actual on camera filters.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Nice set of pic.thumb.gif Like you, I have passed it thousand times. Did you know that they fought a Civil War Battle there. They do a reenactment every year.

azzaro
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    nice photos Dan !

Thanks Awais.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Nice set of pic.thumb.gif Like you, I have passed it thousand times. Did you know that they fought a Civil War Battle there. They do a reenactment every year.

azzaro

Thanks Azzaro. No I did not know that. Have you seen it?
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Azzaro. No I did not know that. Have you seen it?

Excellent shots Dan. Do you use the 10-22 when you are shooting landscapes. The reason I am asking, I was reading in this months Canon PhotoPlus magazine, and they recommend to use the 10-22 at all times on F22 when shooting landscapes. I only use mine occasionally so this is where I am possibly going wrong.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Dan, this is amazing, thought I would never see this place again.
    As a young child I lived on the backside of Picacho Peak for 5 years!
    we used to hike all over that place. If my memory serves me right there is a natural spring at the top facing I-10 and yes they fought the one and only civil war battle in Az. The confederates had a wagon train with Gold and weapons, lore has it that the confederates hid the gold and weapons in caves on the mountain (None found), but people occasionaly find old pistols laying on the ground. The backside of the peak can be accessed from the Red Rock exit on I-10, travel towards the school and go past it about 4-5 miles, not sure now but there used to be a feed mill/cattle yard, take the right fork go several miles and road will turn to right and you will see the backside of Picacho Peak, follow that road several more miles and it will turn to the left, from there my memory fails me, sorry. BTW on the back side there are several OLD Turqoise mines (about 3/4 the way up) , old shafts and caves.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Dan,

I particularly like #3. My first impression when I saw it was that you were using a Blue/Yellow polarizer. I'm surprised your are doing this in PP. Nice set! I'll have to check out the Tiffen software.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Nice Dan! I really like the third shot.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2009
    Onrey wrote:
    Dan, this is amazing, thought I would never see this place again.
    As a young child I lived on the backside of Picacho Peak for 5 years!
    we used to hike all over that place. If my memory serves me right there is a natural spring at the top facing I-10 and yes they fought the one and only civil war battle in Az. The confederates had a wagon train with Gold and weapons, lore has it that the confederates hid the gold and weapons in caves on the mountain (None found), but people occasionaly find old pistols laying on the ground. The backside of the peak can be accessed from the Red Rock exit on I-10, travel towards the school and go past it about 4-5 miles, not sure now but there used to be a feed mill/cattle yard, take the right fork go several miles and road will turn to right and you will see the backside of Picacho Peak, follow that road several more miles and it will turn to the left, from there my memory fails me, sorry. BTW on the back side there are several OLD Turqoise mines (about 3/4 the way up) , old shafts and caves.

Thanks Brad. This is very interesting. I had gone up there to see wildflowers. Aaron Newman tells me in a couple of weeks after a good rain they should be blooming. Now, I'll have to check out the back side and see if if I can find some gold or old guns (lol). Thanks for the interesting info. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Excellent shots Dan. Do you use the 10-22 when you are shooting landscapes. The reason I am asking, I was reading in this months Canon PhotoPlus magazine, and they recommend to use the 10-22 at all times on F22 when shooting landscapes. I only use mine occasionally so this is where I am possibly going wrong.
    Regards
    Bob

These shots were taken with my 10-22 Bob at f/10 which seemed to give me a good dof. Should I have shot these at f/22?
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    I really like the first of the bunch. For what it's worth, I keep my aperture cranked down as far as possible all the time out there. f/22, 27, 32, etc. as small as I can get.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Dan,

I particularly like #3. My first impression when I saw it was that you were using a Blue/Yellow polarizer. I'm surprised your are doing this in PP. Nice set! I'll have to check out the Tiffen software.

Thank you Tom. Yes, do check it out. I have found it to be of great value, and it contains so many cool options.:ivar
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Beautiful series! Saguaro cacti are very cool.
    If I had any complaints about these photos over all, I'd have to say they seem a little flat. A bump in contrast could do them a lot of good. Also I'd prefer if the cactus arms weren't cut off in the first photo and if the color balance were a little more accurate in the third.
    Anyway, these are just minor issues. Overall, I feel that these were very well done.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nice Dan! I really like the third shot.

Thanks Cuban thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    I really like the first of the bunch. For what it's worth, I keep my aperture cranked down as far as possible all the time out there. f/22, 27, 32, etc. as small as I can get.

Thanks Walter. Why such high Apertures? I have found that with a wide angle lens, F/11 or even f/8 gives me sufficient dof. What am I missing?