Options

Places to shoot in Florida

SkywatchSkywatch Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited March 21, 2009 in Wildlife
I know many of you live and shoot in Florida. I'll be staying in Daytona Beach in early May and I was wondering if any of you can recommend a good place to shoot some birds.....I know about Merrit Island and I'll check that out for sure but it might be a little far of a drive for some short trips.
Any ideas? THanks :thumb

Comments

• Options
    TerryLPTerryLP Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    St. Augustine is a little over an hours drive north of Daytona, but if you want to come up this way there are a few places to shoot. The Aligator Farm has a good bird sanctuary in it. The Fountain of Youth has free roaming peacocks. The World Golf Village has several ponds and water areas that almost always have cranes and egrets around them.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Harry's House tell em Morty send You rolleyes1.gifblbl.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Oh I couldn't resist, sorry .............. well no not really :ivar
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    The Alligator Farm's rookery in St. Augustine would be outstanding.

A tad to the South of Daytona you have the Orlando Wetlands in Christmas, FL (off of exit 215 of US 95). The Merritt Island MWR (off of exit 220 of US 95) might be worth a stop. Then a bit further South the Viera Wetlands (off of exit 191 of US 95) are always worth a visit.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nothing at all going on at the Merritt Island refuge

St Augustine and Veria wetlands are great as harry mentioned
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I'll add to the places you might go to photograph birds: the Viera Wetlands. It's south of Daytona, but photographers like road trips, and this isn't very far.

Also, for a bit of a different day, head to the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp. Have lunch on their outdoor deck and photograph the birds, gators, and airboats that go by. Better yet, take you camera and go for an airboat ride. Thrilling, but noisy. Plenty of bird shots in the surrounding St John's River area. http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Viera Wetlands[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Located west of Melbourne (Exit 191 on I-95), Viera Wetlands is adjacent to the water treatment plant for that area of Melbourne. There are a multitude of different birds to be seen there. Sighted recently are Bald Eagles, Crested Caracaras, Least Bitterns, Whistling Ducks and many more familiar species. Dike roads encircle the ponds and there are also observation towers. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exit I-95 at exit 191 and go west until the road ends at the water treatment plant. There is no fee, but you must sign in at the office.[/FONT]
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Is signing in at the office back? headscratch.gif

I thought they stopped it a year or more ago but have not been there in two weeks or so. Perhaps it returned on March First? Will have to check for Viera shots taken this month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Gale wrote:
    Nothing at all going on at the Merritt Island refuge

Gale, I guess you are going to have to drive all the way down here to Viera. Hope to see you there. :D
  • Options
    SkywatchSkywatch Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Jim,
    I will be meeting Harry at Viera on Monday the 23.
    Hope to see ya
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish