Options

College Baseball/ UMass

wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
edited May 17, 2005 in Sports
Seniors and coaches
22306916-M.jpg
Matt Torra, one of the only reasons to go see UMass baseball
22306951-M-2.jpg
If you dont believe me ask these guys.....
22307168-M.jpg
Matt Torra again (he pitched the whole game)
22307688-M-2.jpg
Figured out a better way to shoot pitchers. This is Demers
22320661-M-2.jpg
Out at first
22320685-M-1.jpg
Safe22320961-M-2.jpg
I also learned today that baseball is a horizontal sport.....
22320967-M-2.jpg
Not a vertical sport :( (I shot these fielding shots in vertical, where had i turned the camera I would of got the whole play, pitchers & batters work well in vertical...unlike basketball where I spend 95% of the time vertical, dont be afriad to turn your camera I guess is the lesson learned here.)
22320968-M-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    First up, cool shots. Definitely dig the head-on shot of the pitcher!
    winger wrote:
    22307168-M.jpg
    That's nutz! What's the deal w/ them? Scouts or something? .. Pardon me as I know very very little about college 'ball..
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    I think its Canon's beta testers:D

Nice capturesthumb.gif
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Hehehe, love the scouting picture. Quite interesting. :D I think I like the second shot the best, of all of them.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 17, 2005
    Niceeeeee Karen thumb.gifthumb.gif

I really like the two shots that look like the pitcher is throwing right at the viewer clap.gif

So what's the secret? Behind the backstop, lens against the fence, with a little offset from the catcher and ump? Whatever you did, worked great.

Also liked the "scouts". I counted 11 radar guns among them :uhoh

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Yeah there were proably more like 30 guns there....one of the two good players on the team is an undrafted pitcher....so they were there to see him.

As for secrets for the pitchers shots, one of the things I found easier here, is the backstop is futher back than softball, so its pretty easy to get a fairly straight on shot of the picture with out the ump in the way (I could draw traingles to explain why I guess) Now the last shot, what I did was sat down at the backstop.....cleans up the background, looks like he is pitching down at you. Its amazing in terms of sports how much sitting or kneeling does for cleaning up backgrounds. I mean the first straight on pitching shot and the 2nd one are shot from just about the same postion.

Two more baseball games left.

Then unless Lax makes it to final four (more likely) or softball makes its out of the regional (not as likely but possible) I am done until late August :(

Now if only I can figure out how to take a photo good enough for the challenges.