Options

Best Bodies for LOW SHUTTER NOISE?

Lethal White AussieLethal White Aussie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 20, 2009 in Cameras
I've seen some random comments about shutter noise, but curious what people's comments are for the newer(2008/2009) camera bodies?

I'm shooting dog agility and looking at horse events, and some other shooting this year. Camera noise has been somewhat of a problem for me in the past and often my 30D has 'bothered' subjects while shooting. I'm looking to buy a new body...either Canon or possibly switching to Nikon, and curious who has the quietest?I'd love to hear someone who has used a Canon 30D or 20D, the only cameras I have used. Later, in the year, I'm planning on getting a new body with 8+ frames per second and 10-12+MP. Thanks in advance for any comments. Nick

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,899 moderator
    edited March 20, 2009
    You might look into something that "muffles" the camera noise. Here is a product at Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/CZM.html
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-3408-3436

... another commercial product (that works and some courtrooms require):

http://nikonschool.org/template.php?cat=1&grp=56&productNr=4484

... or you can DIY:

http://www.whistlerweddingphotos.com/blimp.html

The Canon 5D MKII does have 2 "quiet" modes and the first mode is not too bad if the subject doesn't move. (The second mode has little use for me.) Basically the first mode uses "live view" and you only hear the shutter noise (without the mirror slap.)

Unfortunately, the faster the frame rate, the more pronounced the sound. The sound is quite a bit different, however.

On the Canon 1D and 1Ds models the mirror has a "latch" to grab the mirror at open instead of relying on the motor to hold the mirror open. The latch-based shutter mechanism has a lower frequency sound that most people find less obtrusive, but I don't know about animals.

In the Canon line there is only the 1D MKIII that probably has most of the qualities that you need, if 8 fps is a true criterea. It does not have 12 MP but in use the 10 MP imager is close enough that you would not notice any difference. It does have 10 fps and an excellent AF section as well as very competent imager and dual image processor.

In Nikon world you'd have a couple of choices in that the D300 and D3 might meet your criterea, except neither is all that quiet either. Of those 2 the D3 is faster to focus because, even though they share the same (or similar) AF module, they have different AF processing and the D3 is faster. You would notice the difference in low-light work.

Note that some of the cameras I have mentioned are different formats from the Canon 30D that you have so lens choices may/will change from what you are used to.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    The 5D MKII has a very quiet shutter without the quiet modes. It only shoots at 3.9fps though. I have a 30D. I played with the burst mode on a 40D as circuit city and it was just as loud.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    you mean my D3 shouldn't sound like a machine gun at continuous-high?? :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Hmmm... that's interesting. I shoot professionally and have never had anyone comment on shutter noise being an issue. I definitely turn off the beeping noise my cameras make when the focus locks on. When will you need a camera that shoots 8fps to be silent? 8fps is made for sports which are loud. I am primarily a portrait and wedding photographer which are definitely more quiet settings, and the shutter noise doesn't seem to cause any problems for me. That being said - I never photograph animals.
    Anyway - not trying to be annoying, just wondering if shutter noise should be the basis of a DSLR decision...