Weekly Assignment #113: Jumbotroned

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Assignments
I really wanted to do this for quite some time, and this week one nice post by Vanquiz in GoFigure finally triggered my decision to go for it.
The challenge is to create a composite of two images, the background one being a zoomed-in (enlarged and cropped) version of the same or related image as the foreground one, as if you'd take a portrait of a person standing in front of a giant jumbotron (or a billboard) with in turn also depicts the same person...
I also hope it'll help our Ann in her search of her ultimate dance competition poster..;-)
Naturally a lot of PS is allowed and welcome!
Please keep in mind that images still have to be fresh and taken with this assignment in mind.
Each entry should consist of a final composited image and its one or two originals. Blending recipe sharing is welcome!
Multiple entries are OK provided they are different enough.
Let's light our jumbotrones up!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• clcoroniosclcoronios Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Why does it ask for a password when I click on the Go Figure link?

C
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    As You Like It Productions
    Equine photography in the northeast
    Chatham, NY
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    clcoronios wrote:
    Why does it ask for a password when I click on the Go Figure link?

C

Go Figure features nudes, so it is a safety feature...

thumb.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Has anyone thought of actually taking a picture like this for real? Most cameras have a video output that can be connected to a tv. Put the subject in front of a large tv, connect your camera to it and shoot the subject with an infinite shadow on the tv. headscratch.gif

What do you think? I'm thinking about trying this on a 52" RCA projection TV at my parent's house, but I know I should be working on other things. :cry
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Has anyone thought of actually taking a picture like this for real? Most cameras have a video output that can be connected to a tv. Put the subject in front of a large tv, connect your camera to it and shoot the subject with an infinite shadow on the tv. headscratch.gif

What do you think? I'm thinking about trying this on a 52" RCA projection TV at my parent's house, but I know I should be working on other things. :cry
    Samir,
    while this idea of yours is a very nice one all by its own merit thumb.gif , this particualr assignment, however, requires the composite image and a certain level of a PS work. deal.gif
  • TikibirdplayTikibirdplay Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Samir,
    while this idea of yours is a very nice one all by its own merit thumb.gif , this particualr assignment, however, requires the composite image and a certain level of a PS work. deal.gif

What is PS work? Im not sure what that means.
    Lisa
    edited March 23, 2009
    What is PS work? Im not sure what that means.
    Post-processing. Most of the folks here use industry standard Adobe Photoshop (PS), so, just as term "google" is often used instead of generic "internet search", "ps" is often used instead of generic "photo-editing" or "post-processing".
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Not sure if I've got the instructions right. But here's my original image and the final entry:

521720003_w7cAs-M.jpg

521715199_CeChV-XL-1.jpg
    edited April 26, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Not sure if I've got the instructions right. But here's my original image and the final entry:
    Dave, thank you!
    I meant something even bolder, though...mwink.gif When blowing images up you'll get artefacts, which, if left intact, look plain ugly. You gotta use some creative techniques to turn those artefacts to your advantage (hence the hint of jumbotron, which a is very lowres device)
    edited April 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Dave, thank you!
    I meant something even bolder, though...mwink.gif When blowing images up you'll get artefacts, which, if left intact, look plain ugly. You gotta use some creative techniques to turn those artefacts to your advantage (hence the hint of jumbotron, which a is very lowres device)

Ahhh, now I see. I Googled jumbotron and now I get it. I'll have to see if I can find one around town somewhere?
    edited April 26, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Ahhh, now I see. I Googled jumbotron and now I get it. I'll have to see if I can find one around town somewhere?
    You don't have to be that literal. You may use other analogies, simply try to maintain high quality of the final work!
    edited April 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    You don't have to be that literal. You may use other analogies, simply try to maintain high quality of the final work!

Confused again ne_nau.gif On the last one I zoomed the image, which was shot at a high resolution so was still a high quality image, and then made an attempt at making it look like a painting (I admit it didn't turn out very well). Any examples I could look at?
  • AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Confused again ne_nau.gif On the last one I zoomed the image, which was shot at a high resolution so was still a high quality image, and then made an attempt at making it look like a painting (I admit it didn't turn out very well). Any examples I could look at?

Maybe here;

http://www.thegiantwomen.com/

(partial nudity warning)
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
  • AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Some remarks. I hate masking hair. I need a good hair masking tutorial or to shave my head. I got going and realized that I would also have to put the pink flower on the LED screen on my camera. ADDED BONUS; I am shooting with my Lumix and the pink flower picture was taken with the D40. ^5.

522194066_qHCP4-L.jpg
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
    edited April 27, 2009
    Some remarks. I hate masking hair. I need a good hair masking tutorial or to shave my head. I got going and realized that I would also have to put the pink flower on the LED screen on my camera. ADDED BONUS; I am shooting with my Lumix and the pink flower picture was taken with the D40. ^5.
    Very nice entry! thumb.gif
    edited April 27, 2009
    Maybe here;

http://www.thegiantwomen.com/

(partial nudity warning)

Laughing.gif, thanks for sharing. Although this is more like "Out of scale" (we had that class, too)

Note the bold black an white helps to deal with potential lighting temperature differences.
    edited April 27, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    then made an attempt at making it look like a painting (I admit it didn't turn out very well)
    The impression I got it was a blown out thumbnail ne_nau.gif
    Besides, the idea was to have the whole background as an image, not just two images together. It makes a huge difference in perception.
    edited April 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    The impression I got it was a blown out thumbnail ne_nau.gif
    Besides, the idea was to have the whole background as an image, not just two images together. It makes a huge difference in perception.

Ok, now I get it. Thanks.