Options

CS2: HDR anyone?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 20, 2005 in Finishing School
I was trying to figure out the HDR... so far to no avail:-(
I have a few brackete shots. It supposed to import them into one 32-bit image and then, when you switch back to 8-bit image give you some options..
Well, it pops up a dialog, but it's pretty lame (or, more likely, I'm pretty stupid:scratch ).
I can achieve *way* more with my favorite clone-mask-gradient method.

Anybody got it working to their satisfaction?

I think I read all availalbe sources on the Internet and in the PS magazine..:dunno
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    MitchMitch Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Your one up on me, what is HDR?

Mitch
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    High Dynamic Range
    Mitch wrote:
    Your one up on me, what is HDR?

Mitch
    New 32-bit mode of CS2 with floating point operation.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    Thanks, winn!
    winnjewett wrote:
    I guess I missed this one:-)
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    No success yet. I tried using a single raw exposure and develope it with several different exposure compensations.

Didn't work -- got the message that the dynamic range was too small or something like that.

Lee
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    catone posted a thread on this too. He's a whiz and was disappointed with the results.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    I guess
    wxwax wrote:
    catone posted a thread on this too. He's a whiz and was disappointed with the results.
    You need a much wider range of exposures that you would normally get. The tutorial winn's mentioned talks about 5-6 f stops difference, while the usual braketing would give you mabe 2 max (and with single RAW it's even less).

I noticed a huge difference between the histogram I have from my lousy three +/-1 braket, and the manual braketing in the tutorial. Mine is like very narrow, hence the results simply could not be good (as the tut says "ugly in - ugly out")

Apparently for now you need to do manual bracketing (set the manual focus, manula aperture and just change the shutter speed carefully)
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    HDR: got it!
    winnjewett wrote:
    I realized that all it needs is a very aggressive curve in the "local adaptation".

22460913-L.gif

I had 2 series of 3 braketed shots each from my Sony F828. I loaded all 6, even though the series were slightly misaligned (PS did a very good job aligning them). Still got only +1.36 .. -1.34 EV range , and you can see, it only covered a very narrow range of the availalble space.

But I got the hint from the tutorial and kinda painted the curve along the histogram, which did the trick.

Here is the overal layout:
    22462909-L.jpg

As you can see, nothing spectacular, but that's due to the pretty poor source selection I think... It's "workable" by the conventional methods and it's way better start than what you can get by the tedious masking/gradient method.

WTG, Adobe!thumb.gif

HTH

[EDIT: resulting image added]
    22480914-L.jpg

As I said - nothing fancy, but definitely better than any original one, both skies and grass are clearly "in range"
    [/EDIT]
  • Options
    MitchMitch Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Nikolai,

Here is my first attempt at mirge to HDR. 9 exposures.

22566834-L.jpg

Don't have the hang of the curves yet, but it look like a kewl new toy.clap.gif

Mitch