Options

Superb Ford GT-40

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited March 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
497427199_wwJYM-XL.jpg

497427134_ov2as-XL.jpg

497427198_DQ4iM-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    That is one awesome ride Tom. Never have seen one of those. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2009
    Hi Jack,

The GT-40 series of Fords were produced in the mid 60's with the sole intent to dethrone Ferrari as the premier road racing car....particularly at the famous Le Mans circuit in France. Henry Ford II had tried to buy Ferrari in the early 60s, only to have Enzo Ferrari rebuff his efforts. As much for spite as anything else, Ford embarked on this mission to kick Ferrari's butt in world-class sports car racing. After resolving some early teething problems, the GT-40 cars were wildly successful in achieving their intended goal. I think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever produced.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Nice Set of pictures Tom....... A.J Foyt and Dan Gurney drove one to a win at La Mans in the 60s...... azzaro
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Once again a really neat series of images, I am still so impressed with the sharpness of detail and image quality, very nicely done.

I was thinking AJ had driven one also, great memory Azzaro!!!

You don't really ever see any of the newer ones, probably in nice collection somewhere.

Great shooting again!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Its the only car that looks good in that shade of blue. :D That was a great road racing car with a great story and history behind it.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

Yes indeed, Foyt and Gurney did win one at Le mans. One year....I forget which one....these cars finished 1,2,and 3 at Le Mans.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hey Craig,

Thanks for the comment.

Being the car nut that I am, I was reading something the other day about the new version of the Ford GT that was surprising: a huge number of them have been wrecked, due to owners exceeding their driving skills ( or just acting stupid ) with a car of such performance capabilities. Repair bills often surpassing $100,000 have led to many of the cars being totaled and scrapped for parts.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hi Bill,

No doubt about it, the GT-40 was one of the really significant race cars in the history of the sport. It's success was testimony as to what could be accomplished if you got the right people together and gave them an unlimited budget.

Tom
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

Yes indeed, Foyt and Gurney did win one at Le mans. One year....I forget which one....these cars finished 1,2,and 3 at Le Mans.

Tom

Foyt won the Indy 500 in the same year......This isn't good Tom ... I'm 69 and I can remember what Foyt did in the 60s and don't know what I did yesterday.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Great pictures! GT-40's were simply incredible. Unfortunately, the modern version is more race-based than street-based, without the "helpers" like traction control, etc. Bozo's with $$$ get in over their heads, and end up trashing these rolling pieces of art. :cry Same thing with some other supercars; Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo, etc. Its such a shame that so many end up destroyed.......

Curious where these pics were taken. I see the Group 44 sign, so makes me think this might be an event on the East Coast somewhere?? I used to enjoy watching Bob Tulius and Paul Newman go at it! :D
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hey Azzaro,

Laughing.gif. I hear you brother. I'm 67 and in the same boat as you.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hi Tony,

These shots were taken at the Amelia Island Concours, held every year in March. Amelia Island is just north of Jacksonville, FL. The show has been recognized as having reached the stature of the Pebble Beach show in Monterey. The array of cars to be seen every year is simply mind-boggling.

I'll be posting some shots of the Group 44 Jaguars that Tulius and his bunch raced to great success.

Tom
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Now those are Smoken!