Options

Software License Vendor = Glamour Model?

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited March 27, 2009 in People
My software license vendor came by for lunch today and I took this after lunch over by the docks near NE Aquarium. The sun was brutal but I think it came out pretty good given it was impromptu. She indicated that she wants to try some real glamour shots and get her hair and makeup done in preparation.

C&C Welcome:

498835930_URmuS-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    nice capture for impromptu..she has a nice pleasing smile thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Nice shot for a quickie. You do realize in photography terms, "glamour" refers to more sexually suggestive images? Maxim and FHM are glamour.

Just want to make sure you're aware of how those terms are generally used -- especially when dealing with a vendor.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited March 25, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    Nice shot for a quickie. You do realize in photography terms, "glamour" refers to more sexually suggestive images? Maxim and FHM are glamour.

Just want to make sure you're aware of how those terms are generally used -- especially when dealing with a vendor.

Thanks dogwood. lol good point ...it would be a good idea to verify intent...I guess I instantly think of "Glamour Mag" and the typical model on a magazine cover (not Playboy or Penthouse) or something like that when people use that term. Semantics can be dangerous heheh rolleyes1.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    dogwood wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif on all points deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    FatFrogFotographyFatFrogFotography Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I'll have a stab at this...I'm only new around here so feel free to take this with a large pinch of salt...

It looks like you've run some relatively serious skin smoothing over her face (minus the eyes and mouth). Everything in the image is crazy sharp including her hair and clothes. Normally having the eyes and mouth sharp is highly desirable, but it looks a little odd when everything is sharp but there is no detail left in the skin.

My advice would be:
    1. Shoot at a different time of day (which you already knew)
    2. If #1 is not possible, find a location in open shade on the other side of a building or undercover and use that harsh sunlight only bouncing off walls or other objects.
    3. If #1 or #2 are not possible (and even if they are), use fill flash or a reflector to get rid of the shadows under her eyes and create some catch lights in her big bright eyes.
    4. Shoot with a wider aperture. If you've got access to some fast primes (such as 35/1.4, 50/1.x, 85/1.x, 135/f2. or a nice tele like the 70-200 2.8), you'll greatly improve by decreasing your DOF and creating nice bokeh behind and infront of her eyes. Super shallow DOF in portraits = magic!
    5. Investigate off camera lighting, even with speedlights. I know this was only an impromptu shoot, but it pays to be prepared and speedlights don't take up much room in your gear bag. If you're not already familiar with it, check out Strobist Blog.

Definitely a nice snap of a lovely lady...but I think you've got the potential to get some great photos of her given that she's keen to shoot again.

Can't wait to see the results of the next shoot! thumb.gif

EDIT: I've just had a look at your site and it looks like you know a lot of this stuff already and just didn't apply it during this shot. Some really nice portraits on your site by the way. Well done.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I have to say....I'm always ready for a quickie (sorry)!

For a quickie it really shows her personality......good luck with the session, it should be fun.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    I have to say....I'm always ready for a quickie (sorry)!

For a quickie it really shows her personality......good luck with the session, it should be fun.

Thanks Hackbone. :ivar
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    My software license vendor came by for lunch today and I took this after lunch over by the docks near NE Aquarium. The sun was brutal but I think it came out pretty good given it was impromptu. She indicated that she wants to try some real glamour shots and get her hair and makeup done in preparation.

C&C Welcome:

Very nice! Also nice to see people in New England outside without a coat :-)

What is a Software License Vendor? I understand the words, but what software does a photographer buy that isn't purchased online or via mail order? Or do you have a day job beyond your photo pursuits? (in which case, i want to know how you get such professional results!)
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    Hi T. Bombadil,

Thanks for the kind words....and very slowly the weather is warming here in New England. Yes I actually do have a day job to support my photography habit, hobby/second job. I am a chief technology officer (head geek) for an international corporate real estate firm. For my photography, I use a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon EOS 5D with 7 or 8 Canon L series lenses and Photoshop CS4 to post process. I shoot everything in RAW and just take what I've learned in the past year from other photogs here on DGrin, KelbyTraining.com and books and apply it to my shots.
    Very nice! Also nice to see people in New England outside without a coat :-)

What is a Software License Vendor? I understand the words, but what software does a photographer buy that isn't purchased online or via mail order? Or do you have a day job beyond your photo pursuits? (in which case, i want to know how you get such professional results!)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Very nice, Randy. You should have a lot of fun shooting her.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    Thanks Virginia. Yeah she's a lot of fun...great personality so I am looking forward to any shots in the future.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    . . . I am a chief technology officer (head geek) for an international corporate real estate firm. For my photography, I use a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon EOS 5D with 7 or 8 Canon L series lenses and Photoshop CS4 to post process. I shoot everything in RAW . . . other photogs here on DGrin, KelbyTraining.com and books and apply it to my shots.

Ah. Now I understand, thanks.

I've been skulking around dgrin for a while now, learning a lot (Great place to see excellent work and get an education) and reading everything I can get my hands on (I'll check out KelbyTraining.com too).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Odd...my software vendor looks like the witch from the Princess Bride....
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Odd...my software vendor looks like the witch from the Princess Bride....

lmao Travis. We'll I can foward you her information as her company is one of the "level 3" providers/managers of Microsoft EA agreements.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com