Options

Washington, DC

ochongochong Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be making a trip to DC April 2nd - 5th. It looks like that weekend will be peak cherry blossoms. Neither of us have ever been to DC before and actually we hadn't even thought of the cherry trees until last week, but I'm sure that means the National Mall and Tidal Basin will be swamped.

Anyway, my question centers around how to handle my gear.
Typically I trek around in cities with my Lowepro Slingshot 300 which can handle any combination of lenses I choose plus extra. The real question is if I should be bringing my tripod with me. I'd love to be able to get a few night and sunrise shots, but I'm not quite clear on where I can and can't have a tripod. Alternatively, I could bring just the monopod. Additionally, I seem to remember reading at some point that I couldn't even have a bag at certain locations.

We will be staying in Dupont Circle which I believe would take me 15min on the metro to go between the Tidal Basin and the hotel. Does that sound correct? Will I have any problems riding the metro with my bag and tripod?

I'm suspecting if I bring my tripod I will need to take it back to the hotel when I am finished in the morning.

As for the bag, are there safe places to store it while in some of the buildings?

I don't plan to be taking many unique location shots... we are there for a weekend vacation and my girlfriend will only stand so much photography.

Thanks for any help and information! :D
http://www.bitartifact.com/
Canon 7D & 350D
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II ~ 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 85mm f/1.8 ~ 100mm f/2.8 ~ 70-200mm f/4 IS L

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    No problem in carrying a backpack and tripod on the Metro. I would expect to keep the bag with you at all times - don't leave it in a building.
    As for using a tripod...technically you are not allowed to use tripods on any national parks/grounds. However, if you get to the Tidal Basin early (ie before sunrise), you will be able to use the tripod and not get hassled at all.
    I would expect to keep that 10-22 on most of the time by the way. Oh and don't forget to do lots of bracketing for the sunrise cherry blossom shots as you'll probably want to play with HDR in that setting.

Here's my 2008 Cherry Blossom gallery to give you suggestions:
    http://eoren1.smugmug.com/gallery/4639201_9pDCZ#271979144_KzdCS

Enjoy!
    E
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    When we went there last year and met up with other dgrinner's, (hey eoren) we went to the mall late at night, (12 -3 in the morning) and we had no problems using our tripods at the different memorials.
    Of course we were about the only ones there other than the security guards.:D

Have a good trip, and be ready to do a lot of walking.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    ochongochong Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Thanks for the information guys.

Yea, I'm definitely going to have to try and get out early and late at night for some shots.

I guess the only really tricky place is the Capitol building. From what I have read there is no way I could bring my camera bag in there and definitely not my tripod. Unfortunately, It is about the furthest place from Dupont Circle that we will probably be visiting.
    http://www.bitartifact.com/
    Canon 7D & 350D
    10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II ~ 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 85mm f/1.8 ~ 100mm f/2.8 ~ 70-200mm f/4 IS L
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    you can most definitely bring a camera bag into the capital. i did and even changed out lenses there...
    tripod is another issue. most guards will ask you to put it away if they see you but sometimes you can find spots behind columns, etc from which to set up.
    E
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    you can most definitely bring a camera bag into the capital. i did and even changed out lenses there...
    tripod is another issue. most guards will ask you to put it away if they see you but sometimes you can find spots behind columns, etc from which to set up.
    E
    Most museums have day lockers for holding large gear. Most will not allow tripods or larger backpacks in the museums - you will have to lock them in the day lockers. Bringing the camera inside is usually not a problem.