Options

Canon STE2 Transmitter - My Thoughts

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 5, 2009 in Accessories
I have owned this accessory for a little over a year now. For the uninformed, the STE2 is shoe accessory that adds the ability to wirelessly fire remote speedlights to a Canon DSLR. It does this by sending an infra red signal. All ETTL funtionality is available when using the device. It can also be used to fire speedlights that are set in "manual" mode rather than ETTL.

My primary target when shooting is in outdoor "on-location" type portraits, with a small amout of event and wedding work. I usually seek out shady locations for my shoots and use flash to help give the ambient light a little boost on my subjects.

Since I primarily work outdoors, I was hesitant at first to purchase the STE2. I read all the mixed reviews about it being unpredictable outdoors in regards to distances and line of sight, as well as inoperability in bright sunlight. I have to say, that after a year of use I haven't had any issues with being able to use this little jewel pretty much however/whenever I want. It just works.

It is simple to use. There are 7 buttons/switches on back

-On/Off
-Ratio on/off
-Channel selector
-High Speed Synch enable/disable
-Ratio Control (arrow buttons) to select anything from 8:1 to 1:8.
-and a pilot "test" button

The battery compartment is on top. Id prefer it be weathersealed, or on bottom as I have on occasion had to use it in inclement weather. I also wish that 2nd curtain synch would work with the STE2.

I have seen complaints that the battery is hard to find. I have had no problem as the 2CR5 Lithium Energizers are kept in stock at my local Walmart's camera department. I keep spares, but the batteries usually last me quite awhile. I swapped a battery out last week since I have been so busy. It had been in use since last July. I have shot at least 2000 shots with it. It wasn't dead. I just wanted to be sure I didn't need to swap it out in the middle of something important.

Line of sight? Outdoors this is almost a must. I have noticed though, that if using a shoot through umbrella the signal can be bounced from the umbrella to the flash....even if its facing away from the camera...sometimes. Indoors...in smaller spaces line of sight is usually NOT required. The signal here bounces quite readily off walls and surfaces.

Distances- I have stayed under 40 feet from my speedlights so cannot verify anything farther. I am frequently shooting full length poses at 200mm with a 50D. The STE2 has the reach for that.

All in all, it has been a great tool to own and use, and has improved my portraits tremendously.

Id like to see, or hear about your successes and failures with this device.

502434538_Tkumx-M.jpg

500450272_tMgoC-M-1.jpg

500418618_CJzUh-M-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Thanks for the write-up Jeff. I hope I get to add this to my bag soon!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Hey Jeff,

The only thing that irks me about Canon & this little critter is; there is NO GOOD REASON why Canon won't allow the ST-E2 to control (3) groups like the 580EX/EXII will.

That one fact has kept my money in my pocket.

Thanks for the write-up.
    Randy
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Got it for a great price just after Christmas ($165 new on Amazon), love it, and use it all the time with my 420ex.

Until I get a second flash that has a manual mode, the STE2 was the easiest and most cost-effective way to get my flash off the camera. And I admit it: I LIKE the results ETTL gives me and, while I want a flash that has a manual mode, thus giving me more flexibility, I couldn't be happier with letting Canon's circuitry handle the calculations and just use the xsi's flash exposure comp to adjust. My next flash investment needs to be a second flash with a manual mode (either a 430ex or 550/580/580II) and with the 420ex as a slave and the ste2 as a controller that should keep me going for a while (I hope... :D)

I've had no trouble finding batteries at Walmart or local camera stores, but have found them cheaper on Amazon and bought a couple to keep on hand as spares ($6 vs $11 locally)

One thing you didn't mention is that it also makes a GREAT focus assist in low light even if you're not using it to control flashes - works a treat.

These shots were all done with the ste2 controlling the 420ex as the main light (fill was reflectors, except in the first one where I had a couple of lamps adding to the mix, and gelled the flash to balance as best I could - thanks to Jeff's encouragement to start using CTB gels whenever in mixed light!!).

458593069_4B6n7-M.jpg

478205350_BXUB8-S.jpg

467019203_vD2XG-M.jpg

470899773_KxMxP-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Jeff,

The only thing that irks me about Canon & this little critter is; there is NO GOOD REASON why Canon won't allow the ST-E2 to control (3) groups like the 580EX/EXII will.

Thanks for the write-up.

You're right, only 2 channels, but....

I imagine if you wanted three, the third might be to add a BG light? You could set the speedlights up in manual mode and set the power for all three at the controls for each flash.....and then fire them through the STE2. You wouldnt be able to alter the output to each unit from the camera.

You are also right in that they should give it the same 3 channel functionality of the 580s. Also, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they would put a pop-up IR transmitter on the xxD series of cameras rather than a pop up flash. Who springs money for a camera like that and actually uses the pop up flash? The focus assist would be awesome!
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Got it for a great price just after Christmas ($165 new on Amazon), love it, and use it all the time with my 420ex.

Until I get a second flash that has a manual mode, the STE2 was the easiest and most cost-effective way to get my flash off the camera. And I admit it: I LIKE the results ETTL gives me and, while I want a flash that has a manual mode, thus giving me more flexibility, I couldn't be happier with letting Canon's circuitry handle the calculations and just use the xsi's flash exposure comp to adjust. My next flash investment needs to be a second flash with a manual mode (either a 430ex or 550/580/580II) and with the 420ex as a slave and the ste2 as a controller that should keep me going for a while (I hope... :D)

I've had no trouble finding batteries at Walmart or local camera stores, but have found them cheaper on Amazon and bought a couple to keep on hand as spares ($6 vs $11 locally)

One thing you didn't mention is that it also makes a GREAT focus assist in low light even if you're not using it to control flashes - works a treat.

These shots were all done with the ste2 controlling the 420ex as the main light (fill was reflectors, except in the first one where I had a couple of lamps adding to the mix, and gelled the flash to balance as best I could - thanks to Jeff's encouragement to start using CTB gels whenever in mixed light!!).

Great example DM....and youre right the focus assist is unbelievably good. FWIW, I DO HAVE two speedlights....but rarely use more than one.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks for the write-up Jeff. I hope I get to add this to my bag soon!

I can't wait Elaine. I know you will find some very creative uses for it!!!

I can't wait to see the results!thumb.gif
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    I recently purchased the ST-E2 to help autofocus when I use the new PW Flex. Outdoors, I have found range to be similar between the two when using a 580ex, but line of site is necessary. Now I think I will use it instead of the Flex. If you're careful, it really is that good.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 2, 2009
    I'm a relative newbie to off-camera flash, and just got an ST-2 a week ago that I'm using with a couple of 580EX II flashes. It's a great little gadget and took no time to figure out. I really like the convenient ratio buttons. I still have a lot to learn about flashes, but the ST-2 is very intuitive and just plain works. Besides, it looks way cool on the camera. :D I'm looking forward to trying the "party" trick some time with it to shoot candids by placing flashes in the corners of the room. Glad to hear that others are enjoying the ST-2 as well.

-joel
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I'm a relative newbie to off-camera flash, and just got an ST-2 a week ago that I'm using with a couple of 580EX II flashes. It's a great little gadget and took no time to figure out. I really like the convenient ratio buttons. I still have a lot to learn about flashes, but the ST-2 is very intuitive and just plain works. Besides, it looks way cool on the camera. :D I'm looking forward to trying the "party" trick some time with it to shoot candids by placing flashes in the corners of the room. Glad to hear that others are enjoying the ST-2 as well.

-joel

Here is a method I have used at several events....

"Light -on-a-stick"(link)

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    I too am a big fan of the STe2... I have had mine for about 1.5 years and am in love with the ETTL abilities since I do a lot of "on the fly" wedding /event coverage. I don't have a lot of time to be calculating and bracketing my flashes. So the ETTL plus FEC works really well for me.

As far as using your STe2 outside of the line of sight.... if you are wanting to hide your flash behind an object that is in the frame but out of line of sight, it works to tape an index card to the side of your speedlight like a flag and have that index card/flag stick out beyond your object, instead of the ugly flash. The index card will catch a bit of the IR transmission and bounce it into the sensor, and the sensor will recieve the transmission and your flash will fire... resulting in hopefully the perfect photo.

Here are just a few of my photos using the STE2...
    Off camera flash... its a beautiful thing.
    497550873_FEBcY-M.jpg

On this one I was at least 30 feet away.
    434414491_NAhQP-M.jpg
    To give you a bit of perspective of how far it will fire from:
    434415017_BJxKF-M.jpg

And so if you end up buying one as a result of this thread... feel free to send Jeffraux2 a nice little bonus for his great salesperson skills. (We sound like we get a comission!) :giggle
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    jeffreaux - thanks for the detailed description of your ST-E2 use! I've been on the fence for a while about whether or not to buy one... I have a 580EX II and a 580EX currently. I like using one as an on-camera master but the ST-E2 would sure be a lot lighter. The ability to get the 2nd flash off-camera more easily is also appealing... On the other hand, I could get a 430ex II for close to the cost of a new ST-E2 unit giving me three flashes (two easily used off-camera), and the benefits of the 580ex II master control (vs ST-E2). Hmmm... headscratch.gif

It seems the overriding theme is that if one can live with the shortcomings of the ST-E2, it's a great tool that works as advertised.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the write-up.

I see your point (ie that the circuitry is readily available, so why not just include it?!), but if the 3rd light is intended as BG light, isn't it pretty easy just to pick up a really cheap fully manual flash and trigger it with an optical slave while running the key/fill with the ste2? That's kind of what I'm planning to do when I get that far.

Now that I'm using studio strobes and finally see how one manipulates lights manually, one thing which has recently occurred to me regarding the ste2/ettl vs strobist/manual options is that even though the flashes are cheaper with the latter, I'd want a lightmeter to use that setup properly since I can't begin to imagine doing the calculations in my head on the fly (me+math/numbers=:yikes eek7.gif :bash), thus adding another $200-300 into the mix to get started. So, in fact for me, at any rate, going ettl with an ste2 still turned out to be cheaper for me, especially since I picked up both my flash and ste2 for very attractive prices.
    CSwinton wrote:
    I have a 580EX II and a 580EX currently. I like using one as an on-camera master but the ST-E2 would sure be a lot lighter. The ability to get the 2nd flash off-camera more easily is also appealing... On the other hand, I could get a 430ex II for close to the cost of a new ST-E2 unit giving me three flashes (two easily used off-camera), and the benefits of the 580ex II master control (vs ST-E2). Hmmm... headscratch.gif

They DO turn up cheaper than full whack. Sometimes on FM and, as I said, I got really lucky right after Christmas on Amazon and got it for $165 brand new from Amazon itself (not the Amazon marketplace). I'd been stalking prices on it for a while, and got really lucky but... it does happen! If you really want to find one, they're out there. :D
    Jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Also, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they would put a pop-up IR transmitter on the xxD series of cameras rather than a pop up flash. Who springs money for a camera like that and actually uses the pop up flash? The focus assist would be awesome!

Wow - wouldn't THAT be a nice feature for the 60d to sport? :D That said, very VERY occasionally that popup flash becomes a useful emergency measure for ::cough:: those of us who haven't yet learned to think of everything before they leave the house. rolleyes1.gif And don't some people use it to trigger OCF via optical slaves? However, since Nikon has the "commander mode" that would be a REALLY neat thing for Canon to consider adding to their prosumer line. Canon, are you listening? :D
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I see your point (IE that the circuitry is readily available, so why not just include it?!), but if the 3rd light is intended as BG light, isn't it pretty easy just to pick up a really cheap fully manual flash and trigger it with an optical slave while running the key/fill with the ste2? That's kind of what I'm planning to do when I get that far.

No, you can't use an optical slave on the background flash, not if your using ETTL. ETTL fires a pre-flash, and this sets off the optical slave, therefore your speedlight that this optical slave is attached to will fire too soon. (I kow there are optical slaves out there that claim to work with ETTL/pre-flash, but all the reports I've read say they don't work well, and their expensive to boot)

One of the great things about Canon's system is the ability to change ratios remotely, IE: from you camera position. If your using a 580EX/EXII as master, and your using the 3 separate groups (A, B, C) group C being the background group which ratios different than group A & B, you can change the ratio for each group from your shooting position. I don't want to be able to change groups A & B ratios, then have to physically go over to the background flash and adjust it. Doesn't make sense in the scheme of things. What I want, is to be able to adjust all 3 group ratios remotely. Like you can from a 580EX/EXII.

I find it ridiculous that Canon doesn't deem it important to include this into their "dedicated" remote unit. Your paying good money for a "dedicated" remote unit, why doesn't it have all the features?
    Randy
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    No, you can't use an optical slave on the background flash, not if your using ETTL. ETTL fires a pre-flash, and this sets off the optical slave, therefore your speedlight that this optical slave is attached to will fire too soon. (I kow there are optical slaves out there that claim to work with ETTL/pre-flash, but all the reports I've read say they don't work well, and their expensive to boot)

One of the great things about Canon's system is the ability to change ratios remotely, IE: from you camera position. If your using a 580EX/EXII as master, and your using the 3 separate groups (A, B, C) group C being the background group which ratios different than group A & B, you can change the ratio for each group from your shooting position. I don't want to be able to change groups A & B ratios, then have to physically go over to the background flash and adjust it. Doesn't make sense in the scheme of things. What I want, is to be able to adjust all 3 group ratios remotely. Like you can from a 580EX/EXII.

I find it ridiculous that Canon doesn't deem it important to include this into their "dedicated" remote unit. Your paying good money for a "dedicated" remote unit, why doesn't it have all the features?

True....

....and also + or - 3 stops of FEC controlled at the STE2 as well....like when using FEC on a flash rather than only 2 stops in the camera menus.....for ETTL work.
  • Options
    jerrykjerryk Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2009
    I tried one and got rid of it. The issues I had were lack of range and I wanted to have 3 groups instead of 2. Now I use a 580 as master.

I wish Canon would include a build in master capability like some Nikon models.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 5, 2009
    I like the small size of the ST-E2 as well. A 580ex will give you longer range for IR Control than the ST-E2, but for me, it unbalances the camera in my hand badly.

HeatherFeather mentioned a trick I use sometimes - you can reflect the IR beam of the ST-E2 off your hand, a white sheet or some aluminum foil, to the sensor on your slave flash to get more range.

I suspect you could add a Honl flexible snoot around the ST-E2 to concentrate the beam more also, but I must admit I haven't tried that yet to date.

The new Pocket Wizards with radio based ETTL control will be available soon, so then we will really have the power in our hands.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin