Options

pro sales cost info

wmmwmm Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited April 10, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Where can i find information on exactly what is costs me to have a site on Smugmug Pro. Is there an annual fee, do i also pay a per photo price for my sales? Does my site have to have the title "smugmug" in it? Etc. I am having trouble finding out all the details on doing this.

-wmm

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Hi!

http://www.smugmug.com/pro has all the info, the price is $149.95 per year.
    You can completely customize your site, example:

http://www.moonriverphotography.com

Holler back with questions!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Hi, sorry to have a question, and thanks for the link. However, I still do not see what the printing actually costs? if someone orders prints from my site, how do i know of my set price what is profit and what goes to the lab?

-wmm
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited March 30, 2009
    wmm wrote:
    ...I still do not see what the printing actually costs? if someone orders prints from my site, how do i know of my set price what is profit and what goes to the lab?
    From the page that Andy linked above:
    Set your prices and make 85% of the markup.
    More on setting prices can be found on this page - http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    And the print catalog is here http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABP
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    I do see all the information on pricing now. Thank you for leading me in the right direction! However, the print prices seem high. The 15% seems fair, but after paying a premium for the prints and $150 a year on top of that, I think budding photogs who can't charge $8 - $10 for a 4x6 will find it hard to make any real money.

thanks for the info, though......

-wmm
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    wmm wrote:
    I think budding photogs who can't charge $8 - $10 for a 4x6 will find it hard to make any real money.

You aren't going to find a much better deal out there.
    There are reasons SmugMug might not be the best fit for you, but pricing shouldn't be one of them. For the feature set (especially ease-of-use, cust service, and customization) that's offered, SmugPro is a steal.

I started my site when I was in the 7th grade, and have consistently paid for the annual fee (and more) by selling a few photos here and there. For the longest time I charged $3 for a 4x6, and still made that goal.

If you can't charge $6-10 for a 4x6, how can you expect to make any "real" money? (Regardless of what your web hosting fees are.)
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    I understand what you are saying, and maybe the use of the term "real money" was not appropriate. I am not a full-time photographer, but would like to turn a profit as opposed to just funding SmugMug and their labs.

I guess in a world where people can get $0.29, $0.19, or even less expensive prints (sacrificing quality in some cases, i know) outside of weddings, special event or fine art photography, how can I expect someone to pay that kind of money for smaller prints?

-wmm
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    wmm wrote:
    I understand what you are saying, and maybe the use of the term "real money" was not appropriate. I am not a full-time photographer, but would like to turn a prift as opposed to just funding SmugMug and their labs.

I guess in a world where people can get $0.29, $0.19, or even less expensive prints (sacrificing quality in some cases, i know) outside of weddings, special event or fine art photography, how can I expect someone to pay that kind of money for smaller prints?

-wmm
    Are people paying you for the photo paper, or paying you for the image that's on that paper? Big differene, and you need to understand that difference if you want to make money.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Are people paying you for the photo paper, or paying you for the image that's on that paper? Big differene, and you need to understand that difference if you want to make money.

Exactly. When I have clients who question the price of the print, I offer to sell them low or high resolution files (at a much higher price) and let them print as many as they want.
    If someone wants Walmart quality, more power to them. If they want the image to go on that paper, they are paying for it.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    And the print catalog is here http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABP

Andy,

Here comes stupid question # 37. I like the price catalog. This is just what I need to have in print in front of me.

Now the question when I looked at the print preview it looks just like the screen. Think black, black, and more black. I didn't try printing because I didn't want to burn up a dozen black ink cartridges. :D

Is there a way to print this without printing all the black??

Thanks,

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    maybe i am just not at the level of experience i need to be at to make much money (which i dont think is the case), or maybe i just dont have a comfor level with pricing yet....thank for all the input and information!

-wmm
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Andy,

Here comes stupid question # 37. I like the price catalog. This is just what I need to have in print in front of me.

Now the question when I looked at the print preview it looks just like the screen. Think black, black, and more black. I didn't try printing because I didn't want to burn up a dozen black ink cartridges. :D

Thanks,

Sam
    Are you using a PC or a Mac? You probably already know if you have a mac, but you have the option to save as a PDF from the print menu. I saved mine as PDFs and they show up in the preview with a white background, not black. I have not tried to print it yet.

What I would really love to see is this exact page, but with the prices that I set when customers want to purchase prints..
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    Just keep in mind that the price of a print doesn't reflect the photo paper as much as the time, equipment and expertise/training that goes into the shot.

Reasonable customers will get it if you explain why your markup is 4,000% from "cost." (That is, there are a lot of "hidden" costs to each photo.)
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

• Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Here's a coupon code for ya :-)
    Here's a coupon code for you... vW8jew3C1Hegw should you decide to join us it will save you 5.00

I will tell you this:
    I have been a member for over 5 years and, I have checked around for other options. I stick with SM for two very good reasons.

1. When I was first starting out and realized I did not have the expertise to customize my site the way I wanted, SM heroes stepped in and have helped me time and time again in the customization of my site, even going so far as to take the time to do some of the customization FOR me! Now that... is true customer service. In addition to that, they have helped me out of a jam several times when I "goofed" or muddled up my code by accident in customizing my site.

2. You will be VERY hard pressed, to find a forum as active as this one with information that has a direct impact on helping you make your SM site the best it can be. Everyone here is extremely helpful and even those who have to put up with me when I was a "newbie" and asked 900 questions a day :D

I wish you the best of success in whatever you decide to do.

Have a great day!
    Markjay
    wmm wrote:
    maybe i am just not at the level of experience i need to be at to make much money (which i dont think is the case), or maybe i just dont have a comfor level with pricing yet....thank for all the input and information!

-wmm
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    I must agree with you on the level of support I see just from reading posts. SM seems uparalelled in that area, and the majority of it is absolutely free.

I am beginning to re-think my first (hasty) assessment, and will most likely join in. Each time I "invest" in this part-time endeavor, I am fearful.

Thanks for the constructive comments and insight!

-wmm
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    wmm wrote:
    and the majority of it is absolutely free.

SmugMug doesn't charge extra for support, ever :D
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    SmugMug doesn't charge extra for support, ever :D

Other than the annual $150.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    Other than the annual $150.

Thats not a support fee.deal.gif
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Thats not a support fee.deal.gif

Its an "all inclusive" fee.

If you don't think that includes support... eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    Yes, and that's what I meant: that a LOT of your information and services are free, and support is always free. It was sincerely meant as a compliment! This site provides a ton of free information and help. Sorry if that came across wrong.

-wmm
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    Its an "all inclusive" fee.

If you don't think that includes support... eek7.gif

You can't offer this level of support on $150/yr. That fee is most likely covering your hosting and licensing of the site software. Besides this, the bulk of the profit comes from the 15% of markup, the huge markup on cloud storage, and probably a cutback/deal from the printers.

Thats what is paying for the support.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    You can't offer this level of support on $150/yr. That fee is most likely covering your hosting and licensing of the site software. Besides this, the bulk of the profit comes from the 15% of markup, the huge markup on cloud storage, and probably a cutback/deal from the printers.

Thats what is paying for the support.

I'll add that I doubt there is any licensing fee for the site software as it's all written in-house. I agree, however, that the bulk of profit comes from the markup.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    I'll add that I doubt there is any licensing fee for the site software as it's all written in-house. I agree, however, that the bulk of profit comes from the markup.

The photos I take come from 'in-house' so I shouldn't charge a licensing fee?

Besides, if you don't want to call it a licensing fee, how about we just call it paying for improvements.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    This is semantics guys… pros are charged $150/yr and 15% of profits. This provides them with the services we're all familiar with.

A dollar is a dollar is a dollar… doesn't matter where it comes from, or where it goes, once it's in or out the door it starts to look a lot like all the other ones. (Maybe this is too much simplification, but you get my drift.)

• Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Andy,

Thanks,

Sam

No, there's not a way, but I'll see about your suggestion. Can't promise anything, but we'll discuss it thumb.gif
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    I tried to upload files, PDFs with the white background, but the files are too large. I can email them if someone wants them.