edited May 19, 2005 in Accessories
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

Got mine today! :smile6 :smile6 :smile6

Suhweeet!:lust

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    I saw one in action last weekend. The screen really is to die for.

Ric Grupe wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Dang, I'm jealous! :pissed
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    Who had one?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Dennis, in the center of Dee's picture here:

DSC05316w.jpg
    wxwax wrote:
    Who had one?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    Dennis, in the center of Dee's picture here:
    Thanks. Drat. I wish I'd known.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Big hands...
    ...are not a problem, like they are with so many of the electronic gadgets nowadays.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Being human...
    wxwax wrote:
    Dang, I'm jealous! :pissed
    ...not so strangely, that makes me feel good!headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif

I'm sure you knew it would.nod.gif
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Are they really worth it? I'd love to have something on the track with me that has a screen easy enough to see that people are not squinting it an inch from their face like on the 20D backplane or having the washed out appearance that a laptop screen has.

I just bought a 200GB external drive to hook to the laptop and that is a life saver. Would this be essentially the same thing, just with a couple fo bells and whistles added on?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Check out the link...
    BBones wrote:
    Are they really worth it? I'd love to have something on the track with me that has a screen easy enough to see that people are not squinting it an inch from their face like on the 20D backplane or having the washed out appearance that a laptop screen has.

I just bought a 200GB external drive to hook to the laptop and that is a life saver. Would this be essentially the same thing, just with a couple fo bells and whistles added on?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

...it tells all! :D
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Are they really worth it? I'd love to have something on the track

Smaller than a notebook. Longer battery life. Can take with you to more places. Easier to pack. I have a 15" PowerBook that is sometimes larger than I want to bring on location. I considered a 12" iBook for this purpose, sometimes wish I did, and supplement at home with a Tower.

I really like the idea of an Epson P2000. On the other hand, its the only item in that class that I would actually consider buying. I don't like the competing products at all. Now, if the iPod Photo only had a CF card reader built-in...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Who has the lowest price on one of these? I think I am just going to take the plunge. Being able to dump pics from cards on the track to a device that fits in my thigh pocket and still being able to shoot instead of hoofing it back to my car and dumping to the laptop and waiting for the dump to finish so I can go back to my location already makes it good. Being able to view the pictures during a lull in between races or if a bike goes down and delete the bad ones is another big plus too.

My only hang up with it is putting pics into folders while using just the unit. In the case of being on the track I would love to be able to sort the pics into the numbered bike folders so I could walk into the pits for say, bike #123 and hand him the unit so he can see the pics. The unit seems to make a copy of the picture so I would have 2 copies of it on there...soaking up more HDD space and making a mess of my laptop when I dump for the day.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    My only hang up with it is putting pics into folders while using just the unit. In the case of being on the track I would love to be able to sort the pics into the numbered bike folders so I could walk into the pits for say, bike #123 and hand him the unit so he can see the pics.

You have time to sort? How do you pull that off?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    When there is a crash and when they radio (I bring my talk about and dial into their channels) that the checker flag went out. Usually that is a cool down lap and most riders are not interested in those pictures I have found. That would give me about 5 minutes or so depending on where I am on the track before that group comes into pit and the next group comes out and makes it to where I am stationed on the track.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Yeah...
    ...there are limits to it's operating system. I guess you have to give to get. Remember, the P2000 while well built, can't be slammed around either. Something you may want to consider for your use.headscratch.gif

You can copy files to your laptop later and of course sort to any number of folders that you created. The catch is...it must be connected to ac power while doing this.

The fact that you must make two copies to create albums is no biggy to me. When you transfer files to your main computer you will transfer from the memory card folders and then likely delete them from the P2000. The reason you would do this is because files written to albums will be renamed and the ones in your memory card folders will keep the naming conventions of the camera.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Yeah banging around a little bit is about the extent of it. We are not talking about me falling out of trees and landing on it or something. It would be on a belt, in my mini camera bag that I use for just taking the cam out (no big case with tons of extra stuff) or in a thigh pocket. The kind of banging I mean would be like it swinging in my thigh pocket and bumping my leg.

The way I would do it would be most likely me sorting through images to blow away bad ones and if possible start sorting through the pics to put them in folders by number (that is the hardest part of shooting the races). When you say it renames the files what does it rename then to? I would hate to sort the images on the unit while on track, then come in and dump the original-non-sorted image to the laptop and start all over again.

Usually I have about a 45 minute lunch break at noon to do some sorting on the laptop. I would likely do some sorting there and then upload the numbered folders to the unit to walk the pits and hand out the unit to see the images.

Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...there are limits to it's operating system. I guess you have to give to get. Remember, the P2000 while well built, can't be slammed around either. Something you may want to consider for your use.headscratch.gif

You can copy files to your laptop later and of course sort to any number of folders that you created. The catch is...it must be connected to ac power while doing this.

The fact that you must make two copies to create albums is no biggy to me. When you transfer files to your main computer you will transfer from the memory card folders and then likely delete them from the P2000. The reason you would do this is because files written to albums will be renamed and the ones in your memory card folders will keep the naming conventions of the camera.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Just got it...
    ...and it's raining so I haven't dumped a card from the camera yet!

Here is a link to Epson's site for info on the P2000:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Doc&oid=48001&prodoid=49164278
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...not so strangely, that makes me feel good!headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif

I'm sure you knew it would.nod.gif
    There's a special place in hell for gloaters. FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    One last question, can I save the files to special folders. I commonly have groups 1 2 and 3 (beginner, intermediate and advanced). Can I save to these folders? or is it just a dump? I have my CF cards numbered 1 2 and 3 can I save the same way?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Almost missed this one...
    wxwax wrote:
    There's a special place in hell for gloaters. FLIPA.gif
    :moon I was waiting for an opportunity to use that one!:D All in fun.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2005
    ARGH!!!!!

Who has one of these in stock!?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    ARGH!!!!!

Who has one of these in stock!?!?!?!?!

A classic example of dong it right and folks being willing to pay for it. Like you, I couldn't find it in stock anywhere. Epson must be putting the squeeze on their supply chain to make as many of these as quickly as they can.

And I wonder how long it will take for another company to market a similarly-featured device?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2005
    I had every store in my area contacting all of their stores all the way down to Portland this weekend. No one has this thing.
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    I had every store in my area contacting all of their stores all the way down to Portland this weekend. No one has this thing.
    Mark Muench also had one and it is a sweet device! He got his at Samy's in LA (800) 321-4726. Ed checked and they had sold out but were expecting another shipment this week as I recall. Might be worth a call!

I've had one on "order" with eCost since March and they keep moving the availability date back - now to June 30th - but they're reported goiing to honor their then sale price of $450 when it does come. We'll see...
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    Found one on ebay for $510 and decided to take it. Checked FedEx today and it is with them now headed for Seattle, expected to be here on the 24th
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    Mark Muench also had one and it is a sweet device! He got his at Samy's in LA (800) 321-4726. Ed checked and they had sold out but were expecting another shipment this week as I recall. Might be worth a call!

I've had one on "order" with eCost since March and they keep moving the availability date back - now to June 30th - but they're reported goiing to honor their then sale price of $450 when it does come. We'll see...
    Dang, that's two people who had it and I missed them! I just want to see if the darned thing is worth 500 clams.
    Sid.