Options

Luggage for Camera Gear

philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited April 4, 2009 in Accessories
I just saw a post by [URL="tp://www.moosenewsblog.com/2009/03/i-just-gotta-say-something/"]Moose Peterson[/URL] about the Tamrac 694. These roller bags look nice.
I've had one laptop destroyed and one old Yashica TLR severally damaged in checked bags. I even buried them in clothes and it didn't help. So these definitely look interesting.

-Philip Hutson
If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
-Willy Wonka

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    If it flying checked.....it has gotta be in a hard case: such as pelican, storm or seahorse cases.....they also come in wheeled........I do not even pack my clothes in a soft case of any kind.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    If it flying checked.....it has gotta be in a hard case: such as pelican, storm or seahorse cases.....they also come in wheeled........I do not even pack my clothes in a soft case of any kind.

That's the point of the Tamarac's they are hard cases without looking like they contain expensive equipment.
    I would've liked to have had these last year when I was on a plane every week.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    I check clothes before I will check camera gear. Sticky-fingered baggage handlers prefer pricey camera gear to underwear.
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    I don't checking any camera gears except the tripod. It may be too risky to check in a professional camera case in Asia or some developing countries.

But considering to bring more toys for overseas photo trips, I am trying to modify a hard suitcase for the 500mm lens and some accessories.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    I check clothes before I will check camera gear. Sticky-fingered baggage handlers prefer pricey camera gear to underwear.

That's what I do too. I don't want to risk any damage/theft to my equipment. However I can imagine some folks needing a lot of equipment needing to check it in.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I would be extremely nervous checking any of my camera gear, excepting my tripod and monopod. Just like I wouldn't check my laptop(s) or critical backup disks. I personally haven't done this yet, but if it's a special trip and you have the time to arrange it, it might be worth considering having the larger lenses shipped separately.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I would be extremely nervous checking any of my camera gear, excepting my tripod and monopod. Just like I wouldn't check my laptop(s) or critical backup disks. I personally haven't done this yet, but if it's a special trip and you have the time to arrange it, it might be worth considering having the larger lenses shipped separately.

Yep, FedEx is expensive but your gear will be insured and will be more likely to arrive at your destination unharmed.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    Yep, FedEx is expensive but your gear will be insured and will be more likely to arrive at your destination unharmed.
    Another issue is limits the airlines put on luggage quantity and weight. First, often you can have only one carryon plus purse/personal/computer. Then they charge you for checked bags (or after the first one).

And what you may not realize is another thing they have done. I travel from the midwest to a LA once or twice a year, child in tow. I'm a fairly savey packer, but sometimes (especially at the holidays) there is just too much stuff coming back. So the old 36" rolling duffle would come in at 52-54#, and I would just pay the $10-$25 excess weight fee. Not any more. That fee is now $85 - $125. eek7.gif But more bags isn't an option because I only have 2 hands, plus the backpack and a waist pack.rolleyes1.gif

Fed Ex isn't so expensive now, especially with 24 hour Kinkos.lol3.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    jdryan3 wrote:
    That fee is now $85 - $125. eek7.gif

:jawdrop and the airlines are wondering why nobody wants to fly anymore.
    ~ Lisa