Options

basketball shot

medinaphoto1medinaphoto1 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited April 6, 2009 in Sports
I just started shooting bar/bat mitzvahs- but instead of just showing up on the day of the event and covering it, I do a session with the child that is going to show their personality. This young man loves basketball- so bring some lights and a mini trampoline and shoot the action!

jake1.jpg

jake2.jpg

jake3.jpg
Robert Medina
Medina Photography LLC
My Website
My Blog
My product

Comments

• Options
    zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Question about setup...
    I am just starting to use lights, can you briefly describe your setup for the shots? Like type of lights, angle of lights, etc.? Love the pics.
    I just started shooting bar/bat mitzvahs- but instead of just showing up on the day of the event and covering it, I do a session with the child that is going to show their personality. This young man loves basketball- so bring some lights and a mini trampoline and shoot the action!

jake1.jpg

jake2.jpg

jake3.jpg
  • Options
    medinaphoto1medinaphoto1 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    lighting set up
    I used three lights for this shot- This was for a bar-mitzvah that I am doing. I live in a predominantly Jewish area and as it was bound to happen I started getting calls for bar/bat's. Now for me I want to be able to connect with my clients, not just show up the day of and shoot- so with weddings I include and engagement session-so why not include a session that will express the childs interests- ok that being said-

We met at 2:30pm yesterday and di a quick family session at a few locations. That lasted about an hour- then we went to a basketball court that was empty- the sun was perpendicular to the backboard as seen in the second shot. AMbient light at ISO 100 was in the neighborhood of 1/250 @ f11. So for this kind of shot I wanted to underexpose the ambient by 2-4 stops- Of course hard to tell in the back of the camera if I had nailed it due to how bright it was out, so I tried it at different settings- since my synch speed is 1/250th - I just kept adjusting my apertuure- f16, f18, f22 etc.

ok- now lets call the sun at 12 oclock. the backboard at 9 oclock- The subject was inline with the backboard and perpendicular- so ihe was sidelit-
    I put one light at 6oclock (an AlienBee 800 on full power- no diffuser- had the light raised up to about 7 feet- pointing to 9 0clock- about 8 feet away) the next light was about 10 0clock (a second alienbee 800 0n full power no diffuser raised up to about 7 feet as weel- pointing at subject- about 8 feet away) a third light was a 550ex on full manual power behind the backboard pointing directly at 3 oclock, or the subjects face) all triggered with pocket wizards. Bot scenarios were used just mirrored when I changed my position from sun behind me to sun in front. For the still image of the boy with the sign up I used pretty much the same settings except that I used the 550ex to light the backboard because it was going to dark.
    Hope i did not take a short answer and make it too long-
    Robert Medina
    Medina Photography LLC
    My Website
    My Blog
    My product
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    I think you have a real winner in the second shot!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60