Options

Alaska

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
So, I am going to be in the Anchorage Alaska area for 1.5 days in late May.

I like to shoot scenics and wild life. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    jereljerel Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    I've been to Anchorage and I tell you 1.5 days will only tease you. There is so much beauty there it would take a lifetime. The good thing is that time of the year the sun will be up for 20-24 hours everyday. I'm currently deployed to Iraq and I can't wait to get back to put my New Canon XTI to work. If you had more time you could take a drive up to Fairbanks and do some shooting there as well. Have fun in AK, I hope you'll post some of your pictures. :ivar
    Canon Rebel XTI, 18-55mm Kit Lens, Canon 50mm. Opteka Remote, Camera Grip and Flash.
    Fujifilm FinePix S5200 Point & Shoot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20Year_Redleg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerelcphotography/
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Not much time there. I would rent a car and drive south on the seward highway to portage glacier. You may see dahl sheep along the way. You will also likely encounter bald eagles and perhaps a moose or two. Along the way there are many stops for great landscape photography. It's a little over an hour drive from anchorage. There is a wild animal park that direction too, and there is also a boat tour at portage lake that can take you up to the glacier, although it has receded significantly in the last 20 years.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    Not much time there. I would rent a car and drive south on the seward highway to portage glacier. You may see dahl sheep along the way. You will also likely encounter bald eagles and perhaps a moose or two. Along the way there are many stops for great landscape photography. It's a little over an hour drive from anchorage. There is a wild animal park that direction too, and there is also a boat tour at portage lake that can take you up to the glacier, although it has receded significantly in the last 20 years.

Matt those are some beautiful photo's on your site. I'm Stationed in Fairbanks. We are currently deployed to iraq, I just ordered a new Canon Rebel xti about 2 weeks ago. What i'd like to know is how do digital cameras hold up to the very, VERY cold winters? If you have any other advise for a Beginner please share it with me. Thanks
    Canon Rebel XTI, 18-55mm Kit Lens, Canon 50mm. Opteka Remote, Camera Grip and Flash.

• Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Hi Jerel, thanks for the compliment and THANK YOU for your service. So far I really have had no issues with digital bodies in the cold. Although you get a bit colder than us. I have had my camera out -30 and it worked fine. However, I kept it in my pack unless shooting. Eventually it was completely cold soaked but that happened over time. The big issue will be batteries. When worried about it I keep them in my pocket. Also, metal on tripods, lenes, and camera bodies can flash freeze your flesh at those temps so I wear light weight gloves under my mitts and never touch anything with bare skin. Learned the hard way on that one. Also don't try the breath on the lens trick, your lens will be done for the day with that one.

When you head in keep your camera in your pack and let it warm gradually over time. I pulled it once after 3 or 4 hours and it was still very cold to the touch. You just don't want the condensation from rapid warming. Some people go so far as to put it in a gallon ziplock before bringing it in.

When you get back to Alaska shoot me a PM. Perhaps we can meet up and shoot somewhere.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    Hi Jerel, thanks for the compliment and THANK YOU for your service. So far I really have had no issues with digital bodies in the cold. Although you get a bit colder than us. I have had my camera out -30 and it worked fine. However, I kept it in my pack unless shooting. Eventually it was completely cold soaked but that happened over time. The big issue will be batteries. When worried about it I keep them in my pocket. Also, metal on tripods, lenes, and camera bodies can flash freeze your flesh at those temps so I wear light weight gloves under my mitts and never touch anything with bare skin. Learned the hard way on that one. Also don't try the breath on the lens trick, your lens will be done for the day with that one.

When you head in keep your camera in your pack and let it warm gradually over time. I pulled it once after 3 or 4 hours and it was still very cold to the touch. You just don't want the condensation from rapid warming. Some people go so far as to put it in a gallon ziplock before bringing it in.

When you get back to Alaska shoot me a PM. Perhaps we can meet up and shoot somewhere.

Matt Thanks for your help. I will PM you when I get back. I hope we redeploy home in time for me to make it down to Anchorage before the first snow.

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Thx for the advice. I wish we had more time, but the cruise takes up most of the trip.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 9, 2009
    You might see some sheep going south of anchorage and there is a great bird reserve that is south of Anchorage on the way to whittier. You might see some moose going north. There is wildlife out there but not always easy to find in just a day and a half. Scenery is plenty though. I have spent the last 13 years taking pictures all over Ak...but the critters in the wild are shy and cannot always be seen just off the highway. Although moose and eagles are most likely what you will see the most from the highway. I live North of Anchorage about 40 miles.

In the freezing cold (which is not something you will run into in May) I always pack lots of handwarmers to keep the camera and my hands warm. Great to throw a few in the camera pack and keep them close to the battery if it gets too cold. But usually only do that when its below -20 or so and I will be out for quite some time. Other than that I usually don't go out when its colder.