Options

Should I buy? - Olympus Macro

silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited April 9, 2009 in Accessories
Ladies and gents,

I have an Olympus E-410 and I have a chance to get a macro lens for a pretty good price. It's a 35mm Zuiko Digital 1:1 macro (a 2:1 with the crop factor). I can get it for about $100 plus shipping (it's a $250 lens IIRC).

My list of lenses:
14-42mm Zuiko Digital
40-150mm Zuiko Digital
50mm (f/1.4) Zuiko (OM mount, legacy)
70-150mm Zuiko (OM mount, legacy)
200mm Tamron (OM mount)
24mm Makina (OM mount)

I'm torn because I don't have an external flash, yet. I also have no macro capabilities. This lens would cost less that I can find the Olympus extension tube (so I have control over my digital lenses) but I have a trip out to UT in about 6 weeks for the USAF Reserves. For the trip, I was planning on getting a trailer to tow my motorcycle out.

The lens is in Charlotte, I'm in Raleigh. On Saturday I'm driving out that way, so I could pick it up.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions... any suggestion.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for advice.
- Joe
http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited April 2, 2009
    That short a focal length makes it a little difficult to use creative lighting. It would probably work best with a ring light which might limit subject matter. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a fine lens.

For that price you could probably easily resell the lens if it didn't work out so I don't think there is much risk, assuming the lens is in good condition to start with.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    Thanks for the response, Ziggy. I didn't think about being able to resell it if things don't work out. That's all I needed to push me over the edge. Looks like I'll have a macro tomorrow if the seller wants to meet me on my way out to SC.
    - Joe
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Yeah I agree with Ziggy, for the price I'd say go for it and if you dont feel like it works for you sell it for what you got it for or a little more. Good luck and I hope the seller's still got it when you go tomorrow!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    Thanks again for the input. The deal ended up falling through because the guy sold the whole package (several lenses and body) to a local person.

I decided to just order the lens anyway. I paid $165 from Cameta for the Oly refurb/demo which comes with a 1 yr. warranty. The lenses are fetching $150-$200 used on ebay, so I don't think I'm out anything if I don't like it.

It should get here by Sat or Mon, pics to come thumb.gif
    - Joe
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    I have the Olympus 35mm macro and love it! It is as sharp a lens as I have ever used. It is Olympus's only 1:1 macro. In regards to Ziggy's comment regarding 35mm length - with the 2x crop factor it is really 70mm and I find it a good length for most applications. One problem I have had using longer focal length lenses for macro is that camera shake quickly becomes problematic.

You will love the lens. It is sharp as a tack, very lightweight, and works well for me as a portrait lens as well (70mm equivalent is right around the sweet spot for portrait lenses in my opinion). Here are a couple shots I have taken with it:

309789523_As6At-L.jpg

263991127_twyCx-L.jpg

156952900_2tbhx-L-2.jpg

309794544_raYW8-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    Thanks Jonathan, that takes care of any buyer's remorse mwink.gif . Very nice pics. I'm sure I'll now be glued to the Track & Confirm on the USPS site anxiously awaiting it's delivery. I can't wait. It looks like so much fun.

Out of curiosity, is that second pic a thimble?
    - Joe
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    silversx80 wrote:
    Thanks Jonathan, that takes care of any buyer's remorse mwink.gif . Very nice pics. I'm sure I'll now be glued to the Track & Confirm on the USPS site anxiously awaiting it's delivery. I can't wait. It looks like so much fun.

Out of curiosity, is that second pic a thimble?

I am sure you will have fun with it. :D
    The second pic is actually of a little pencil holder on my desk. But now that I think about it it looks like a thimble.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    Here is a review that will help you feel good about the purchase:
    http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/44/cat/14

To quote the review: "Overall, absolutely superb performance."