Options

Street scene model releases

BystanderBystander Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited May 20, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
If you do street photography, how do you handle model releases? Very often it is difficult to get a release from someone in a street shot. If you don't have a release, can the photo be used for anything except "editorial" purposes? So much great photography has been taken in the street -- I wonder if Henri Cartier-Bresson had releases for his street photos (of course many of them did not feature recognizable people..)
My SmugMug Gallery

http://frank-winters.artistwebsites.com/

Seeking the Decisive Moment, thanks Henri

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    laws are obviously different in different places but where i shoot, anyone in public is fair game unless the shot can cause them embarrassment.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    And are there any good basic and generic forms online as model releases....i wouldnt mind keeping a few of those in my camera bag.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    even in public, you cannot use my likeness for commercial gain - say, to advertise a product.. *but* if you catch me in the street, and you put me in a book of fine art shots on street photography, and the book has an "educational" twist to it, well you can use the image without a release.

as always, ymmv and you should consult an attorney on such matters. there are lots of great resources on the 'net on this, google is your friend here, too...

legalities of street photography

more here

dan heller's site is good

some interesting things are copyrighted....
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    And are there any good basic and generic forms online as model releases....i wouldnt mind keeping a few of those in my camera bag.

here's one
  • Options
    BystanderBystander Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Thanks
    Thanks for your helpful replys. Andy thanks for suggesting that I post my question here. I belong to a stock photo site that is very conservative re: street photos -- what I've read here so far is liberating -- Thanks again.
    My SmugMug Gallery

http://frank-winters.artistwebsites.com/

Seeking the Decisive Moment, thanks Henri
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Hey Andy, the second link doesn't work anymore. Is the article still alive somewhere? I want to Hall this thread, wouldn't mind capturing whatever that link had.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au