Options

Shenandoah National Park

B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
I will be visiting Shenandoah NP in a few weeks to capture spring in the park. I have mapped out a few areas in advance I would like to visit. I will only be in the area for a few days, so any suggestions on "must see" areas will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    i think this question belongs to the location part of this forum

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

cant help you further, never been to the US ne_nau.gif

good luck!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    I did move this for you to the appropriate forum. Best of luck! :D
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    I photograph Shenandoah quite frequently, and I always find something new. If you have the time, start at the northern-most entrance and work your way south all the way through the park. It really can't be narrowed down to any "must sees" because you never know what you'll see. Take hikes down the trails. Buy the waterfalls guide at the entrance station. (I think it was a few dollars.) Some of the hikes are short/easy, but others shouldn't be attempted unless you are an experienced hiker. Be prepared for sudden changes in temperature and weather. I've gotten some of my best shots early in the morning before the clouds & fog burn off. I prefer the view to the East of the range, as there are more distractions to the West that really ruin a beautiful shot.

Be on the lookout for wildlife! There are lots of bears and deer. The deer will be especially bountiful in the Sky meadow....stop there at the little way-station and walk around the meadow! The spring wildflowers might be blooming, too, so grab a macro lens!!

Have a great trip!!!

ETA: I always "combine" Skyland and Big Meadows...hence the "sky meadow" I mentioned. Hey...made sense in my head, but I'm really talking about the two separate sections. I've caught the most wildlife in those areas. :D
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    I photograph Shenandoah quite frequently, and I always find something new. If you have the time, start at the northern-most entrance and work your way south all the way through the park. It really can't be narrowed down to any "must sees" because you never know what you'll see. Take hikes down the trails. Buy the waterfalls guide at the entrance station. (I think it was a few dollars.) Some of the hikes are short/easy, but others shouldn't be attempted unless you are an experienced hiker. Be prepared for sudden changes in temperature and weather. I've gotten some of my best shots early in the morning before the clouds & fog burn off. I prefer the view to the East of the range, as there are more distractions to the West that really ruin a beautiful shot.

Be on the lookout for wildlife! There are lots of bears and deer. The deer will be especially bountiful in the Sky meadow....stop there at the little way-station and walk around the meadow! The spring wildflowers might be blooming, too, so grab a macro lens!!

Have a great trip!!!

Thank you for your reply. I was there last August and saw a bear in a tree about 6:30 AM. By the time I stopped the car and got the camera, the bear was gone.
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    B643 wrote:
    Thank you for your reply. I was there last August and saw a bear in a tree about 6:30 AM. By the time I stopped the car and got the camera, the bear was gone.

I had taken my schnauzer out for a hike and actually had a bear follow us all the way in and all the way back. He was just curious, I didn't have any food, and he keep a distance of at least 100 yards, but I did manage to get some cute frames of him peeking around trees at us. If I can find them in my archives, I will post them. Nothing technically spectacular, but fun for the nature lover!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!