Options

what the get? $500 budget?

ayonka89ayonka89 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 15, 2009 in Cameras
Hi everyone! I'm very very new to all of this so please bear with me. I need help buying a camera...but I'm SO confused on what to get. I have a 500 budget and it will be used mostly for portraits.....any ideas? I want to be able to take pictures like this (here is a pic of my daughter) thanks in advance :)

i might even be able to spend as much as 600 actually..
http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=professionalpics2003.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Folks will recommend cameras from their favorite systems (brands), so I'll make a recommendation from Sony.

First, take $39 and buy yourself a Smugmug account. What good is a camera without a beautiful way to display and share the pictures?

Then, I'd check the Buy/Sell --> The Other Guys forum and see if you can find an A100, A200, or A350 for sale <$300. Also check the forums at dyxum.com - you'll have more luck there since those forums are all Sony/Minolta users.

You ought to be able to get an A100 for ~$200. Even better if you can get an A200 for $250.

Then find (same forums) a used Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

That would be the best possible thing you could do with your $500 in the world of Sony.

Others will come along and tell you about your best options with Nikon, Canon, and Olympus.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited April 12, 2009
    ayonka89 wrote:
    Hi everyone! I'm very very new to all of this so please bear with me. I need help buying a camera...but I'm SO confused on what to get. I have a 500 budget and it will be used mostly for portraits.....any ideas? I want to be able to take pictures like this (here is a pic of my daughter) thanks in advance :)

Ayonka89, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The first thing to learn is that subject, composition and lighting are extremely important and more important than the camera and lens. That said, the lens is more important than the camera and a budget of $500-$600 is fairly limiting.

I suggest looking at used equipment and an entry level camera body. Spend as much as possible on the lens.

I suggest that a 50mm lens is probably a good start and try to find an f1.4 version if possible. This should give pretty good control over DOF and yield results similar to the image you linked to.

I still use the Canon XT/350D and it would make an appropriate camera platform for an EF 50mm, f1.4 USM lens. Total price for a used camera and lens should be within your budget.

There should also be suitable combinations from other manufacturers as well. If you have a preference it would be good to know it.

KEH.com is a very good and reputable vendor of used photographic equipment.

When you decide on the camera and lens be sure to ask some questions in our Technique forum about "how" to create the image and what lighting to use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Seconding what Ziggy suggested. I went Canon because I really enjoyed the two Canon P&S cameras I started with.
    From nearly pure coincidence and blind luck I also picked up the 50mm f/1.4 lens. This purchase was because my second son was coming and we wanted pictures of him in the hospital and as a newborn without using a flash.
    To see how some of these came out and what a beginner can do with an XT and 50 f/1.4 you can check out my day-1 gallery, all of these taken with XT, 50mm f/1.4 and very limited knowledge.

http://tag-photos.smugmug.com/gallery/7873947_5fbFA#510433358_DyH6a

Then of course I became obsessed with photography and am always reading this forum and others and shooting like a mad man. You are in good hands here.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Here is a fantastic Olympus E 500 for $245 now all you needis a lens....the owner is a fantastic photographer from Manhattan Ks, Jonathan Swinton ..... in the thread is also a great deal on the dedicated Oly Flash.........This equipment has all been exquisitely taken care of by Jonathan

This would be a great way to start out...........

Then you could just slide over to ebay and get you an decent lens there are good used ones and excellent deals from CAmeta Auctions on Demo lenses still under warranty
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    I'm gonna buck the trend that you'll get from most of the brand loyalists.

I'm with Art on going Olympus. Had they announced a new Pro body at PMA I would have most likely picked one up, they didn't and I found a killer deal on my MkII N so...

It's something about the colors straight out of the camera with Oly I like, just can't seem to put my finger on it. That and the features you get with the bodies lured me.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    I shoot an Olympus. Love it! I picked up a new E-410 last year off of ebay for $400. I got the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses along with that price. I just ordered a Zuiko Digital 35mm Macro from Cameta for ~$165. It's a terrific little camera and has taught me a TON (along with the wonderful people here at dgrin).

There are several pros and cons to keep in mind, however. They are really no big deal when it comes to the real world, but you at least can go in informed if you choose Olympus.

Olympus uses a 4/3 (four thirds) sensor which has a 2 times crop factor (a 50mm lens will effectively be equivalent to a 100mm on a 35mm film camera) . The smaller sensor makes it easier for telephoto, but more difficult for wide-angle.

Smaller sensor means smaller lenses and bodies. Light and easy on the arms an back. If you stick with Olympus lenses (or any other 4/3 lens for that matter), they're designed for the smaller sensor, and the nature the digitial sensors accept light. Unfortunately, they are limited in comparison to APS-C and full frame sensor lenses in terms of depth of field because of the physically smaller aperture. While the lens may still be able be produce a wide-open aperture of f/2, that is just a ratio and when compared to a lens for a larger sensor, the actual size of the opening is smaller.

The E-330, E-400, E-410, E-420, E-500, E-510, and E-520 have small viewfinders. Although they are small, they are brighter (in reviews) to their competition.

Limited lens selection in the third-party realm. Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses are top-notch, but you're not really going to be able to find anything else with ease. There are some Sigma lenses with the 4/3 mount, but some things are limited, like a minimum aperture of f/22 where the other mounts can get f/64 in some cases. It's no big deal again, and diffraction is a pain at such small apertures anyway. You can also find a few lenses from Leica.

In body image stabilization... If you don't get an E-510 (or up) with in-body image stabilization, then you're only option is an $800 (minimum) Leica lens. Again, no real issue for day-to-day shooting. Again, I use an E-410 for the record.

So that's all I've got from memory. Check out www.olympusamerica.com for all the good things marketing has to say. Hope this helps a little.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    ayonka89 wrote:

that shot looks like it was taken with a telephoto lens with a wide/fast aperture from the blurred out background. A lens that can do that sometimes can cost over $500 itself.

I think if the budget is firm, then you have to look at an entry level body with a kit lens which may not exactly give you that shallow depth of field. Having said that though, a current dslr with a kit lens should produce excellent prints.

A Canon Xs kit should be about $500 at Amazon, so should an Olympus e 420. Pentax K2000 kit is also nice but I'm not sure about the future of Pentax. Nikon D40 kit is also about $500 but I'm hesitant to recommend that over the Canon/Olympus/Pentax as it's a really old design with "only" 6MP, no antidust features, and some compatibility issues with older lenses without an AF motor in the lens itself.

If it was me, if you want a nice all around camera, I'd go for the Canon, if you want a very compact and small camera, the Olympus. Of the two, I'd recommend the Canon if size isn't an issue as a 1.6x crop would be nicer than a 2x crop (depth of field and viewfinder size) and the Canon has a stabilized lens while the Olympus does not.

Good luck.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    the Canon has a stabilized lens while the Olympus does not.
    All but 1 of the current Olympus camera bodies has image stabilization built into the body so you don't have to pay for it every time you buy a lens.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Yes, but I was comparing the Canon XS vs the Olympus e 420 specifically.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    It's very simple: you're either going dSLR way, or you don't.

If you are going dslr, consider a lens line (all major manufacturers have a full lineup desciption on their sites) and then follow ziggy's advise about getting a 50/1.8 or a used 50/1.4 (as a start) and get a used body (here on dgrin or at fred miranda's; don't use ebay or a craig's list)

If you don't - then it really doesn't matter. Get anything you "like", whatever the reason for the "liking" can be. They all will get you a decent picture.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:

If it was me, if you want a nice all around camera, I'd go for the Canon, if you want a very compact and small camera, the Olympus. Of the two, I'd recommend the Canon if size isn't an issue as a 1.6x crop would be nicer than a 2x crop (depth of field and viewfinder size) and the Canon has a stabilized lens while the Olympus does not.

Good luck.

all OLYMPUS and SONY bodies have image stabilization....so no matter what lens....even older manual focus Carl Zeiss Glass is image stabilized on an OLYMPUS MOUNT CAMERA.........also at this time I do believe that Olyis the only camera having a true wireless flash controlled from the menu of the camera body....all others have to have some sort of sending / commander unit (sold separately) to utilize the wireless feature of their flash units.....with the newer Oly's you can attach the flash to a bracket or a light stand and go from there, no extra parts to buy..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    In my post, I'm comparing the Canon XS and the Olympus E 420, which I have. And as mentioned the e 420 does not have an image stabilization. IIRC, all other Olympus dslr's have sensor based image stabilization. I don't think there is a need to yell by typing all caps and such.

I just checked and the Olympus e 520 kit, which does come with a stabilization is also under $500 as well and that may be worth considering for the OP.

You know, I'm actually sorry, I even tried to answer the OP's question when it seems like some just want to start frivolous debates over some silly points that doesn't even seem to address the OP's question.

I wish the OP good luck in finding a camera and would recommend dpreview as one source to look at along with others online.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    I was comparing the Canon XS and the Olympus E 420, which I have. And as mentioned it does not have an image stabilization. IIRC, all other Olympus dslr's have sensor based image stabilization.

I just checked and the Olympus e 520 kit, which does come with a stabilization is also under $500 as well and that may be worth considering for the OP.

Straight off the Oly website after cliking on the E420 tab....

DIGITAL IMAGE STABILIZATION.
    The E-420's Digital Image Stabilization, activated as a Scene Select Mode, allows high ISO sensitivity and faster shutter speeds so you can freeze the action to capture sharp, blur-free images even if you or your subject is moving.

it may not be mechanical but it does have I.S. .....accordingto OLY .............listed right after DUST REDUCTION ..........on the overview page........

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Straight off the Oly website after cliking on the E420 tab....

DIGITAL IMAGE STABILIZATION.
    The E-420's Digital Image Stabilization, activated as a Scene Select Mode, allows high ISO sensitivity and faster shutter speeds so you can freeze the action to capture sharp, blur-free images even if you or your subject is moving.

it may not be mechanical but it does have I.S. .....accordingto OLY .............listed right after DUST REDUCTION ..........on the overview page........

My E-410 has it, Olympus is a bit misleading about it. You have to use the automatic settings in scene mode. All it does is jack up the ISO and open the aperture so it can use a higher shutter speed. If you shoot manual, it's useless.

You do make another fine point however, the dust reduction on the Olympus bodies is second to none. That's a major reason I went with Oly. I got my camera right before my trip to UT last year and had it through the pollen storms in NC. I have not had a single speck of dust to speak of on my sensor.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10