Options

Help out door shots?

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited April 13, 2009 in Technique
Hi everyone,
I'm getting a semi amounts of motion blur on images where I don't want it.

And it has some funky effect like the time warp effect is going on, So what can I do to take this effect away from my shots?

I'm getting frustrated big time, I could have some killer images if I can get past this hiccup.
By the way I use a canon SXI with a 17-55 tamaron lens!
Sincerely Derek.

Comments

• Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Can you post an example of what you are seeing? It would help to see what is going on.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2009
    Mike, Let me upload a test shot Ok? Give me a few min.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Here's the shot, It turned out very poorly.

511325342_QTiYT-L-0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Here's the shot, It turned out very poorly.

511325342_QTiYT-L-0.jpg

Wow. I've never seen anything like this. So what happened to the face? This is definitely not normal. My first thought is that there is something wrong with the camera. What equipment are you using?
    Do all of the shots have the same shape blob in the same location?
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    I went to your profile and your equipment is not listed there either.....it is a big help a lot of the time....also PLEASE re-post the photo with all EXIF INTACT so we can see all the data.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Mike, The face error is to cover up the identity of the little guy, And Art, I'm sorry I'm still new to all of this camera data stuff, efix?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    By the way I use a canon SXI with a 17-55 tamaron lens!
    Sincerely Derek.

I guess you guys don't really read the post all the way threw huh?
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Look like a slow shutter to me. At least the hand, feet and balloon string.

background looks funky to me as well. Maybe camera shake? Hard to tell on a 12" laptop with marginal screen :)

And do post the EXIF info. At least give us a tease with Shutter speed, since I still tihnk that is where your blur is coming from.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Mike, The face error is to cover up the identity of the little guy, And Art, I'm sorry I'm still new to all of this camera data stuff, efix?
    Whew... now we now what was going on with the blob.
    toshido wrote:
    Look like a slow shutter to me. At least the hand, feet and balloon string.
    I agree. This just looks like too slow of a shutter speed.

The exif data is information that the camera puts into each file that gives pertinent data about the photo such as date/time, camera, lens, lens zoom length; f-stop and shutter speed. There is a whole lot more as well. Any photo editing SW tool can read this data as well as a variety of other tools. Here is link with some background info: http://digital-photography-school.com/using-exif-data

The most useful information in this case would be shutter speed, f-stop, and zoom length of your lens.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Mike, Thank you very much for explaining that too me, and thanks guys I used the sunny 16 rule, I've had the camera on portrait mode as well.

So I might have done a few things wrong, I'm sure the college instructor will help me past this error.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Hi again,

As you probably know, getting a proper exposure is a function of three things: ISO, shutter speed, and aperature. All three of these variables control the amount of light that hits the sensor. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is one of my favorite references for exposure: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003

The sunny 16 rule is a quick guideline for setting these three variables when you have complete control of the camera (manual mode). For sunny front-lit subjects, the settings would be ISO X, f-16 , and 1/X shutter speed. - that is, the shutter speed is the reciprocal of the ISO setting. This is just a guide and there are a lot of variations to it.

Your shot is really back to back-lit with the sun fairly low in the horizon - at least from what I can see from the long shadows. Because of this, the sunny-16 rule would have you set too slow of a shutter speed - and - looking at your shot again, it is actually overexposed in places. I think you actually needed to increase your shutter speed - wondering what others think?

What this really leaves is camera shake. It still would be helpful to see the ISO, aperature, and shutter speed settings.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 13, 2009
    The image is side lit, from the viewer's left side.

Sunny 16 should be quite accurate for the sun lit right side of this subject ( viewer's left ), if it was used correctly. If the exposure predicted by Sunny 16 was incorrect, then I suspect an error was made somewhere in applying it.

To discuss what is wrong with this image from a technical standpoint, without knowing ISO, aperture, and shutter speed will not be very productive.

I suspect the right side of the subject ( viewer's left ) is over exposed, and the right side of the image was slightly under exposed. I suspect a very high ISO was used.

One needs to know what ISO one is using, if one is seriously concerned with the quality of their images. Knowing the aperture and shutter speed, also, are fundamental to good photographic technique.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin