Options

Self Portrait

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in People
Finally got around to setting up my lights again in the studio so I could shoot my kids for Easter and did a few of me to test.....I'm renting this out to all those who want a guaranteed bug deterrent.

511117078_bUgBD-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Options
    neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Finally got around to setting up my lights again in the studio so I could shoot my kids for Easter and did a few of me to test.....I'm renting this out to all those who want a guaranteed bug deterrent.

511117078_bUgBD-XL.jpg

lol..... purple shirt...lol.... good pic though.. kinda got a will ferrell look going on...:nono
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    well executed but a touch on the overexposed side for me.thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Shadows are your friend! :D

"The Shadowmaster" rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Shadows are your friend! :D
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Thank you all for commenting. My light setup is below. I have a VERY small area 10x14 to function. The picture shows the approximate location that I used for this shot. Should I have dialed the power down on the hair light so it let the light on camera left cast a shadow? I used the barn light on the right to fill in for shadows on my face since it is so dark in my room and the lights are not very good. Thanks for the feedback.

511970804_3kfzu-XL.jpg
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thank you all for commenting. My light setup is below. I have a VERY small area 10x14 to function. The picture shows the approximate location that I used for this shot. Should I have dialed the power down on the hair light so it let the light on camera left cast a shadow? I used the barn light on the right to fill in for shadows on my face since it is so dark in my room and the lights are not very good. Thanks for the feedback.
    Thanks for the setup shot!
    I think you've mispositioned your hair light, and that lead to all the rest of the problems. I found the best position for hairlight to be where it has NO effect on the face (be it either low key, or high key, or mid key scenario).
    Then your main (the softbox on camera left) can be used to create the primary face lighting, and you can use fine-tuned fill (the barndoor on the camera right) one to fill she shadows if they are too dark.
    Remember to build your lighting "from the ground up" (i.e. starting with lowest power and finishing with the highest ones), at least until you get a good feeling of what each one does...
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Thank you Nikolai. I will keep that in mind. I had about 45 minutes to get my stuff reassembled and shoot a few test shots in this case before my kids were home and ready for the pictures. I had somewhere in my mind that it was best to have no shadows....I don't know why which is why I set the hair light up to eliminate them. hmmmm now I have to find out why I had that in my mind. I will make some time to do a planned shoot and tinker with the power and settings to slowly introduce the soft shadows in the background and post again...... lol if you can stand looking at my mug one more time.

Thanks again for everyone's input so far.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Randy....JFYI. Bring your key (softbox) up a bit higher and point it down.....then lower the setting on the barndoor setup by about 1 1/2 stops. I usually set the hairlight back a bit and tilt it forward using the edge of the light as it will provide some fill for the shoulders and back of head as well as top. Some thoughts.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Thanks for the info Swartzy...great tips. I don't normally shoot in a "studio" environment so I'm a bit awkward at the moment.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Thought to throw out an example for you Randy. The key was at f/9 the fill at f/4

503144287_3u5Mp-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Excellent shot...I see how the shadows are softly casting on the right side of the face giving depth. Excellent example.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thought to throw out an example for you Randy. The key was at f/9 the fill at f/4

503144287_3u5Mp-L.jpg

Hey Swartzy,

I think it finally clicked for me when I watched a training video series on Kelby Training and the guy went over Butterfly, Loop, Rembrandt, Split and Rim lighting. I would guess that the example you showed me uses either Loop or Rembrandt if I understood correctly. I was shooting to eliminate all shadows when in fact I should embrace them but control their intensity. :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com