Noob help

aprilapril Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited January 18, 2004 in Technique
Ok, I have always had a point and shot camera. well as u guys have seen I have been taking pic and showing them on here with my fuji finepix s602, now i know its not the best camera but I have no idea what some of the settings are it has.

HELLO< I"M APRIL AND I AM A NOOB

Here is what it has

it has a set tab-- all know how to do this kind of

it has an A tab I have no idea what this is

it has a S tab have no idea on this either

it has a P tab have no idea on this one either
it has sp which i know is where the black n white setting is but then in those settings it has a little setting that is a pic of a head, then one of a mountain then one of a running man, pretty suire this means action shots right? then it hasa moon symbol.

I bought the camera from a lady off ebay for $435 and it came with drivers and a 200 somthing mg card.

I then have a telephoto lens so what settings should be on to use the tele lens and setting for the wide angel lens?

Ok now comes to the filters lol see told ya I am a nOOB

poloarizer whats this for?

uv?

and then thiers an fd filter?

ok think that is all of my questions? see 101 photography PLEASE!! :)

oh and I did NOT get a manual for this.
www.homedecor4you.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. "

Comments

• cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    april wrote:
    Ok, I have always had a point and shot camera. well as u guys have seen I have been taking pic and showing them on here with my fuji finepix s602, now i know its not the best camera but I have no idea what some of the settings are it has.
    see 101 photography PLEASE!! :)

oh and I did NOT get a manual for this.
    Almost all your questions and some you have not thought to ask will be answered by reading every word of every page of:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis602z/

Hope this helps :)
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    april wrote:

Read the review, it will indeed answer many of these questions

april wrote:

poloarizer whats this for?

uv?

and then thiers an fd filter?

A polarizer is a special filter that helps reduce reflections and glare off of many surfaces and portions of the sky. It is a very handy filter to have. Lets say you have a pane of glass with a lot of reflections in it, well the polarizer just may reduce them so you can see through the window. It can make the sky darker and leaves more saturated. The filter rotates once in place. As you rotate it, you will notice the reflections and glare come and go. Rotate the filter until you get the maximum amount of effect you are looking for. For the sky, the most effect will take place 90 degrees from the suns position.

A UV filter is made to "protect" the lens and cut down on UV light. This is mostly a holdover from film. I don't recommend using a UV 100% for protection. That is what the lens cap is for. Use it for situations that are truly dangerous for the lens or if you are in a high UV environment and take it off for other shooting that is more benign. I have seen a many an instance where a photographer leaves the filter on and forgets it and then can't figure out why their image quality is so poor now. They remove the filter, and Shazam! The clarity of the image improves. That would be my suggestion, there are some who would disagree with that, so you have to decide for yourself how comfortable you are using or not using a UV filter.

The FD filter is also a holdover from the days of film. A time when there was no such thing a white balance and you only had two choices in film, daylight and tungsten balanced film. But what to do if you find yourself in a room lit by florescent light? Instead of accepting the green tint florescent light gave, they would use the FD filter to correct the green tint. But now, we have what is called "white balancing". It is a feature of the camera that will allow you to tell the camera what kind of lighting you are in and the camera will then make adjustments to reduce the color cast. So my recommendation would be to use the white balance of the camera and not an FD filter when shooting in florescent locations. Read the manual (online version) or reviews on how to set the white balance on the camera, both the presets and the manual white balance control if your camera has it.

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • aprilapril Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Thanks GUys, so I take it I have an ok camera?

I read alot of that page but now my eyes hurt. lol

I think the more Iplay with it the more I will learn thru trail and error, atleast I wont be throwing away film huh lol

There is always DELETE!

Thanks for allyour help, Thinki going out to the woods where I live an take some pics.
    www.homedecor4you.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. "

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    april wrote:
    Thanks GUys, so I take it I have an ok camera?

I read alot of that page but now my eyes hurt. lol

I think the more Iplay with it the more I will learn thru trail and error, atleast I wont be throwing away film huh lol

There is always DELETE!

Thanks for allyour help, Thinki going out to the woods where I live an take some pics.
    That is the best thing you could do. Use the camera, learn it's strengths and weaknesses (they all have them). Your skill as a photographer will grow by leaps and bounds.

Just remember, it's not the camera, it's the photographer.

Be a photographer ;-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • aprilapril Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    www.homedecor4you.com