Options

Looking for a Camera Bag

amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited April 14, 2009 in Accessories
I'm looking for a camera bag, and I've had some questions. I only own a couple of lenses (Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 and Tamron 17-50 2.8 with hood) and use an XT with no grip. My lens collection won't grow significantly for years. I may acquire another lens within six months, and possibly another within a year, but I would sell my Canon 28-105 in the meantime. I probably won't have any more than three lenses, although one may be the 70-200 f4, for any practical amount of time.

I'd like to begin shooting at least something everyday to improve my skills but, considering I'm an engineering major, lugging my camera to class can be a bit frightening considering it has no protection. I'd either want a bag that I can carry along with my normal backpack (small and convenient) or can double as a normal backpack with my camera, a single lens, a book or two, and a calculator involved.

It should be able to hold all of my potential lenses on a day out shooting, but if someone made a great argument for a holster-style case, I would be open to the idea. It would also be nice if I could attach my cheapie-tripod to it somehow.

I'm worried about getting a bag that has much more capacity than I'll need (Canon 200EG), although this is the bag I'm leaning towards. I have no idea how secure my things would be with a lot of room around if I were just out shooting, but its a bonus that I could possibly fit my books and calculator in there. Another bonus is the tripod straps on the bottom of the bag.

I've laso noticed the Canon Zoom Pack 1000 (holster-style) and the Tamrac Explorer 2 (practical size).

Despite having noticed a few bags, I'd be open to other bags and any ideas at solving my problem whatsoever.

I can't spend more than $75.00 but the cheaper the better.

Thanks for the help!
:barb
ANTHONY :thumb
[AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited April 14, 2009
    Anthony,

I use an Adorama Pro Slinger bag to carry:

Canon 40D
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Tamron 1.4x teleconverter
    Canon 1.4x teleconverter
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Canon 500D, 77mm, 2 diopter lens with 67-77mm ring to fit 70-200mm, f/4L, gives almost 1:1 at MFD.
    2 - Sigma 500 DG Super flashes
    Charger and spare camera battery.

Around 15 pounds

http://www.adorama.com/GBSLPBK.html?searchinfo=slinger

While this makes an OK all-in-one solution it's rather large for something like school activities. Adorama also makes the somewhat smaller Slinger original bag which you might find more appropriate.

http://www.adorama.com/GBSLBK.html?searchinfo=slinger

I also use 2 holster bags, one of which also has a lens case attached. This makes a very portable solution for traveling very light with just a single body and a few lenses and maybe a flash. I reconfigure the 2 holster bags as needed for the task or activity.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Kata Bags
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI9ww1cSeSw

You might consider looking into something like the Kata 3N1 series. I believe the smallest is the "20", which at around $90-100 runs a little more than your $75 budget. You might be hard pressed to find a "dedicated" camera back for much less that will meet all the requirements you listed.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Would it be impractical to purchase a bag much bigger than I currently need?
    [AMG]photos

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited April 14, 2009
    amg2833 wrote:
    Would it be impractical to purchase a bag much bigger than I currently need?

Generally that's a good idea (to purchase a somewhat larger bag than you absolutely need) if you plan to grow your system. That way you might delay purchase of a another larger bag too soon.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    X2 to what Ziggy said. I don't think it's impractical, as long as if fits your budget. It really depends on what type of photography you'll be using it for and in what scenarios. Ask yourself these questions:

How much gear are you planning on carrying at any given time?

Are you certain that the gear you currently have is all you'll need for the foreseeable future?

Will your photography endeavors include traveling?

Will you be using the bag for other purposes - school, camping, traveling? If so, for how long - a few days/weeks/months at a time?

I would rather have more space than I think I'll need than to not have enough should I need it.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Matt518 wrote:
    How much gear are you planning on carrying at any given time?
    I currently have two lenses, my XT, a reversing ring and various other small odds and ends. I also have a laptop and external hard drive that I won't often take along.
    Matt518 wrote:
    Are you certain that the gear you currently have is all you'll need for the foreseeable future?
    No way. Within a year I plan on acquiring one or two more lenses and possibly a flash.
    Matt518 wrote:
    Will your photography endeavors include traveling?
    Very possibly. I enjoy beach and camping trips, and there's plenty of places to go around the city.
    Matt518 wrote:
    Will you be using the bag for other purposes - school, camping, traveling? If so, for how long - a few days/weeks/months at a time?
    I would like to. I'm a college student who would like to carry his camera around more often. I don't think I'll ever use a bag more than a few days at most, even that seems unlikely.

My only trouble with the excessive space was the security of my gear. From what I've seen of the insides of most bags, having too little gear could have things move around too much, which I imagine would not be a good thing.
    [AMG]photos

• Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Given your responses, I stand by my recommendation of the Kata 3N1. Watch the video I previously linked; it should work well for your purposes, even if it's only slightly out of your price range. They also have smaller bags on their site. The photography specific bags are well padded, providing ample cushioning for your gear so security and movement shouldn't be an issue.