The Digital Download Thread (Tips, Questions)

Comments

• j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Customer orders a download. There is a message that states download link will be emailed to them as the photographer has placed a delay for processing the image to top quality. Or some other function.

I don't know the exact wording, typing off the top of my head.

I mean, they HAVE to wait for prints to be mailed to them, surely a process could be put in place for them to receive a download link by email or some other means? I don't see how that is any different than waiting on an email to get their photo.

Don't respond to proof request, just like a regular order, the email goes out at whatever time the photographer puts for the delay.

Of course, I can only speak for myself here. I put in a 5 day proof time, but usually process within an hour or 2 of the order 95% of the time.

Don't others shoot on spec here? Surely people aren't processing ALL those images to upload for purchase are they? ne_nau.gif

I don't sell many, but the ones that I have I'd like to post process beforehand.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    Customer orders a download. There is a message that states download link will be emailed to them as the photographer has placed a delay for processing the image to top quality. Or some other function.

I don't know the exact wording, typing off the top of my head.

I mean, they HAVE to wait for prints to be mailed to them, surely a process could be put in place for them to receive a download link by email or some other means? I don't see how that is any different than waiting on an email to get their photo.

Don't respond to proof request, just like a regular order, the email goes out at whatever time the photographer puts for the delay.

Of course, I can only speak for myself here. I put in a 5 day proof time, but usually process within an hour or 2 of the order 95% of the time.

Don't others shoot on spec here? Surely people aren't processing ALL those images to upload for purchase are they? ne_nau.gif

I don't sell many, but the ones that I have I'd like to post process beforehand.

I'm not questioning your desire for the feature, just curious how you'd want it to work. It's likely that it isn't supported today because it requires a new order flow that hasn't yet been developed. I was curious how you wanted that to work.

So, in your suggested model, the buyer would be told to wait for an email which should be sent to them as soon as you "released" the order? Or, if you failed to release the order on time, it would be sent to them when your proof delay time expired (the same way prints work)?

Hopefully they don't mistype their email address and hopefully it doesn't get blocked by a spam system as both would cause support issues and customer dissatisfaction.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited January 8, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm not questioning your desire for the feature, just curious how you'd want it to work. It's likely that it isn't supported today because it requires a new order flow that hasn't yet been developed. I was curious how you wanted that to work.

So, in your suggested model, the buyer would be told to wait for an email which should be sent to them as soon as you "released" the order? Or, if you failed to release the order on time, it would be sent to them when your proof delay time expired (the same way prints work)?

Hopefully they don't mistype their email address and hopefully it doesn't get blocked by a spam system as both would cause support issues and customer dissatisfaction.

You pose excellent questions. But in Andy's reply earlier, he stated the download is a pop up or a window that shows them to click to download and that an email goes out to the customer with the link in case they closed out the window. So I don't know if it would take much for the process to work, whatever that process would be.

I'm assuming when one downloads, that they want the image instantly, but I want them to get the best image possible and just don't have the time to post process all the images I upload.

I don't know how the flow would work. I'll have to think it out or rely on some guru's here. thumb.gif

Honestly, when the 1st digital download got bought I was wondering why I didn't get a chance to post process it since I had the proof delay on!
    edited January 12, 2009
    Well I guess no reply means it's not going to happen.

So.. what do you spec shooters do when you are uploading 600+ photo's and you know a lot of them need some post processing to be their best and someone purchases a DD?

I'd hate to put a bunch up and good for me I get 50+ DD's, but bad for me having to send out retouched photo's by an email and tell them, this is what you should have gotten to begin with.

Do you only offer DD if they contact you 1st?
  • Amor PhotographyAmor Photography Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    warren wrote:
    Any news regarding changing the commercial licence, or better yet, allowing users to enter their own terms? Ideally, I'd like to use my own licences - editorial and maybe personal...

...In any case, how about letting each person choose between their own licences and the default licences?

Cheers,
    Warren

I find the digital downloads feature in Smugmug very smooth and good lickout.gif
    but since the majority of my sales are for Rights Manages images the default licenses in the cart doesn't apply to my business.

To be able to choose between my own license or the Smugmug default will make this a very powerful platform for licensing content. And at 15% very good for Smugmug too.
    Any plans of implementing something like this?
    warren wrote:
    P.S. I've just started fiddling with my site, and it's quite impressive how well thought-out Smugmug is!

Impressive and well thought-out indeed.
    edited January 14, 2009
    pricing calculator
    jchin wrote:
    ... BTW, is there a place we can see if there are guidelines for commercial license fees for digital images? I'd like to start using SmugMug to sell digital images but don't know where to start pricing them.

Thanks.

Take a look here for a start-up.thumb.gif
    edited January 15, 2009
    I find the digital downloads feature in Smugmug very smooth and good lickout.gif
    but since the majority of my sales are for Rights Manages images the default licenses in the cart doesn't apply to my business.

To be able to choose between my own license or the Smugmug default will make this a very powerful platform for licensing content. And at 15% very good for Smugmug too.
    Any plans of implementing something like this?

Impressive and well thought-out indeed.

Bump
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Bump

Curious is this is "In the works".

I want to be able to to licensing based on terms and not a perpetual commercial license. If I want to sell a company a photo for $1000 for use for one year, It looks like they're going to have to go through me for now.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    question about selling downloads
    I have my gallery set up to sell downloads and they are showing that they are available for sale when you click on the buy button on the individual photo but when you choose buy photos in this gallery it is not an available option. The gallery is http://cpagility.smugmug.com/gallery/7194092_7UCud#461972626_nKvNS

Please help :-)
  • TxTortoiseTxTortoise Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Smaller Digital Downloads?
    I'm struggling with the digital downloads options. I price the smallest 1MB file to reflect my business cost, market, etc., but I have lots of folks just looking for 400 pixel or less images for FaceBook, etc. I don't really want to sell the 1MB files at a really low cost, since 4x6 prints are easily doable, but I want to keep the simplicity of the SmugMug workflow for purchases.

MaxPreps, one of my sales channels, offers 640 x 480 digital files starting at $4 or so. I know this becomes a volume game, but at least the file size and usage matches up with the price.

Any chance SmugMug could offer smaller digital file options for both personal and commercial licensing?

Andy, is it on the list already?

Thanks...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    TxTortoise wrote:
    Andy, is it on the list already?

Thanks...
    It is. Dunno when we'll get to it be it's on the list.
  • meatloafmeatloaf Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Bump
    Curious is this is "In the works".

I want to be able to to licensing based on terms and not a perpetual commercial license. If I want to sell a company a photo for $1000 for use for one year, It looks like they're going to have to go through me for now.
    Ted
    South Florida Free Press
    www.SouthFloridaFreePress.com
    Concert and Event Photography
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    meatloaf wrote:
    Bump

I'm sorry, we don't have changeable licenses at this point. I wish I had a better answer for you, I really do.
  • funcrunchfuncrunch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Downloading all images from gallery at once?
    I take photos at events, typically concerts, and usually have 25 or more photos per event. I would really like my customers to be able to download all the images they've chosen to purchase from the gallery at once, as a Zip file, rather than having to click on each link after paying for the digital downloads. Right now I'm finding myself burning the images to a CD or DVD and getting them to the client that way, which negates the whole purpose of using SmugMug to handle payment processing.

Is this feature something being added as part of the packages? If so feel free to move to that thread, thanks.
    Concert and event photography by Julie Bernstein
    funcrunchphoto.com
  • Allen42Allen42 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    TxTortoise wrote:
    I'm struggling with the digital downloads options. I price the smallest 1MB file to reflect my business cost, market, etc., but I have lots of folks just looking for 400 pixel or less images for FaceBook, etc. I don't really want to sell the 1MB files at a really low cost, since 4x6 prints are easily doable, but I want to keep the simplicity of the SmugMug workflow for purchases.

Any chance SmugMug could offer smaller digital file options for both personal and commercial licensing?

Ditto. Huge issue for me.
  • gocheergocheer Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2010
    I had to turn off Digital Download because it doesn't support the 7 day shipping dela
    I use to have digital download turned on. I had to turn it off (which hurt my sales) because I couldn't control the download sale. If I upload 10,000 pictures from a cheerleading competition for example in low resolution, when someone buys the image I can't stop them from immediately downloading the proof image.

What I had to do was then recontact the customer and upload the image to my webserver and provide a link to the "actual" retouched download image(s).
  • RedneckRedneck Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Allen42 wrote:
    Ditto. Huge issue for me.

+1 on the smaller size file downloads for web use.
  • jwvanderbeckjwvanderbeck Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    My understanding, from reading the IPTC info in the first post, is that essentially all the metadata information that points to contact details gets stripped from the photo!?

Um. why?
    (Missing: copyright info URL, copyright status)
    (missing: Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Phones, Emails, Website)
  • amy thomasamy thomas Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    don't see it
    Andy wrote:
    SmugMug Help - Sell Digital Downloads

Product Description Page

View the licenses here

Ask any questions here!

Gotcha: you can't order your own digital download, when logged in. (You own the file, we'll not charge you for it )... so to see it in the shopping cart, you must be LOGGED OUT **or better yet, have two browsers, we LOVE Firefox free at www.mozilla.com

Info: Metadata (© info, IPTC Caption, Description, etc) will reamin intact on your files.

IPTC Data update... here are the fields that, if filled in by YOU, will remain intact in your files:
    Description Data: Document title, author, author title, description, description writer, keywords, copyright notice.
    (Missing: copyright info URL, copyright status)

IPTC Contact: Creator, Creator's Job Title
    (missing: Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Phones, Emails, Website)

IPTC Content: Headline, Description, Keywords, Description Writer
    (missing: IPTC Subject Code)

IPTC Image: Date Created, City, State, Country
    (missing: Intellectual Genres, IPTC Scene, Location, ISO Country Code)

IPTC Status: Title, Job Identifier, Instructions, Provider, Source, Copyright Notice
    (missing: Rights Usage Terms)

**Okay...so I'm logged out, but since I set the price for downloads at "0", I don't get the tab for downloads to order my own. How do I get an original download back (after my industrious son managed to delete the copy I had)? Hopefully there is only one image in question! -Amy
    edited February 23, 2010
    amy thomas wrote:
    **Okay...so I'm logged out, but since I set the price for downloads at "0", I don't get the tab for downloads to order my own. How do I get an original download back (after my industrious son managed to delete the copy I had)? Hopefully there is only one image in question! -Amy
    If you just want to get an original back yourself, then log in, make sure the gallery is set to the Smugmug view, hover the mouse over the main image and select "Owner Save". That will get you your original back which will have any metadata that was present when you uploaded it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • TxTortoiseTxTortoise Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    amy thomas wrote:

Amy, I think the easiest way is to login, change the gallery setting to Unprotect and allow Originals to be viewed. Select the "lost" photo and right-click save to your desktop

Then reset your gallery settings.
    edited February 23, 2010
    TxTortoise wrote:
    Amy, I think the easiest way is to login, change the gallery setting to Unprotect and allow Originals to be viewed. Select the "lost" photo and right-click save to your desktop

Then reset your gallery settings.
    There is no need to unprotect the images. When logged in, you are allowed access to the Owner Save option no matter what the protection features are set to for exactly this purpose.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited February 23, 2010
    amy thomas wrote:
    Make sure you are logged on to your account, then use Owner Save.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/viewing-online-photo-albums

--- Denise
  • amy thomasamy thomas Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    downloading my own pic
    Make sure you are logged on to your account, then use Owner Save.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/viewing-online-photo-albums

--- Denise

So...two thumbs up for owner save. Where do I find this option for a photo? I searched within the gallery it's in (tools, etc.)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited February 23, 2010
    amy thomas wrote:
    So...two thumbs up for owner save. Where do I find this option for a photo? I searched within the gallery it's in (tools, etc.)
    Open the gallery in smugmug style and float your mouse over the large photo on the right.

Or in any other style, click on a photo to open it in Lightbox - Owner save is one of the options at the top of that view.

--- Denise
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    we'd like to do this... we'll see what can be done!

Thinking about starting a local stock photo company/website and would like to use smugmug to do this, but my immediate concern is regarding the language of the license. I see in this thread, that this has been a concern going back 4 years. Is there an update to the status of this feature suggestion?

Alternatively, is it possible to hack the shopping cart so that it doesn't link to the license information on the smugmug home site and instead links to your own licensing page?

Thanks.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • micklerlopmicklerlop Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2010
    Is there a better to set a number of free digital downloads? Say I want to give my clients 10 free downloads. The only way I have figured out is to create a coupon that takes an amount of 10 downloads off the final price. That works if everything in the cart is digital downloads. If I have prints as well as downloads, the shipping cost is still based on the total pre-discounted price even though the coupon is applied and $xx.xx have been taken off the total. I hate to tell my clients to make sure they submit two separate orders if they want to use a free download coupon. It's just bad user experience. Is there a better way? Please advise.

TIA.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    I thought coupons could be made where they can only apply to a particular product? headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • sueseassueseas Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    ghinson wrote: »
    Thinking about starting a local stock photo company/website and would like to use smugmug to do this, but my immediate concern is regarding the language of the license. I see in this thread, that this has been a concern going back 4 years. Is there an update to the status of this feature suggestion?

Alternatively, is it possible to hack the shopping cart so that it doesn't link to the license information on the smugmug home site and instead links to your own licensing page?

Thanks.

It sounds like what you want is similar to what's being asked for here: the ability to use SmugMug to license image rights for editorial or commercial photography: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/213425-rights-managed-stock?ref=title

I would love have this feature (as I've said in a comment on the linked post.)
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    I thought I would bump this back up to the top to see if there is any updated information. I just signed up for a trial of Photoshelter to use for my new (local) stock photo site. Would rather stick with what I know (smugmug) but I am afraid that the licenses, as written, remain unacceptable. Any new news?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com