A few for now...

jhayes_inf1.jpg
::
mladin_inf2.jpg
vhaskovex_inf1.jpg
zemke_inf2.jpg

Aside from the Matt Mladin shot which was shot with a 500F4IS, the others were shot with a 300f2.8 attached to a Canon 1DMK2..

Andrew :)
zemke_inf2.jpg
AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
Next Race - MotoGP Donington
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Great Stuff thumb.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 17, 2005
    Holy Honda, these are SWEET Andrew thumb.gifthumb.gif One right after the other clap.gif

So will you be here for the San Jose Gran Prix? Or, are you just doing bikes now? I'd really like to try to do some race shooting iloveyou.gif Any tips you, Brandon or Ian may want to share would be appreciated :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Why oh why did you have to tell the lenses you used:cry:cry
    Awesome capsthumb.gif
  • Options
    maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Holy Honda, these are SWEET Andrew thumb.gifthumb.gif One right after the other clap.gif

So will you be here for the San Jose Gran Prix? Or, are you just doing bikes now? I'd really like to try to do some race shooting iloveyou.gif Any tips you, Brandon or Ian may want to share would be appreciated :D
    Steve
    Thanks Steve!

Yes, I will most likely be shooting CHAMP in San Jose. I do both, and aside from Pikes Peak I'm most likely going to be shooting the rest of the AMA this year. Laguna is up in the air right now due to the interesting credentialling setup, however, fingers crossed I'll be there too, but if not I have tickets as well and will most likely just go to watch and leave the gear at home.

• Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    jswilson_inf1.jpg

One more!!

• Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    ayates_inf1.jpg

Aaron Yates powersliding....

• Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    spies_inf2.jpg

...and one more!

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Wow! Great shots. Makes me want to find some sport bike racing around Austin and play around.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 19, 2005
    Zippy!

I was wondering if I'd see some Infineon Raceway shots. You sure don't
    disappoint!

Ben Spies and Josh Hayes shots are nice tight shots. I love the focus on
    the rider in these two.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    Andrew, SUPER shots!!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Zippy!

I was wondering if I'd see some Infineon Raceway shots. You sure don't
    disappoint!

Ben Spies and Josh Hayes shots are nice tight shots. I love the focus on
    the rider in these two.

Ian
    Thanks Ian and Nir...

I do enjoy sharing my stuff here and as always if I don't answer your questions here, please just email me and I may not get to them right away but I will answer your questions!

One more;

jdisalvo_inf1.jpg

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    Wow Andrew
    maczippy wrote:
    Peeps!!

A few for now...

Aside from the Matt Mladin shot which was shot with a 500F4IS, the others were shot with a 300f2.8 attached to a Canon 1DMK2..

zemke_inf2.jpg
    Wooooooooowwww clap.gif those are awesome shots, how nice and sharp and bright are those images !

Yep those big lenses make such a difference don't they, but alas they are out of most peoples afordability :D

Now if I would even chance to get one shot anywhere near as good as any of those I'd be reallllllllllllll Happy :D

Thanks for sharing, excellent work........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    I think what makes them stand out from most is the color and the sharpness.

How much of that is post processing? I know the shot's got to be sharp
    coming out of the camera.

Ian
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I think what makes them stand out from most is the color and the sharpness.

How much of that is post processing? I know the shot's got to be sharp
    coming out of the camera.

Ian
    Very little post work Ian. I have learnt through what I do the the less you have to do in post the better as at the end of a 14 hour day the last thing you want to do is start "editing" aside from the usual culling and such, especially when you shoot say, 6-8 GIGS of images per day. I may post process an image to see what I'm getting is what I wanted, but I only post process when the client wants whatever they want (and usually they do not want any sharpening, so if the image is sharp to begin with then everyone is happy).

Oh, and I have updated my site with a selection of some of themany keepers Infineon!

bostromatlas.jpg

• Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    Very little post work Ian.
    I am very much in awe now.

ian
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    Very little post work Ian. I have learnt through what I do the the less you have to do in post the better

Now THAT is knowing your camera.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Fantastic shots, out of the 6-8 gigs how many good shots will you get. I'm just getting into photography and am mad on motorbikes so want to get some good shots, here in the uk i go to a small track and you can get within 15 feet of the racing, at the moment i have got a Fujifilm S7000 and hope this will manage. what is the best way to get good shots like yours, i thought about manually focusing on a set point and setting on continuous shooting and hope i get a few good ones any help would be much appreciated
    Regards
    Gary
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    i thought about manually focusing on a set point and setting on continuous shooting and hope i get a few good ones

I don't know how Andrew does it, but when I shoot motocross or shifter karts I rarely machine-gun a sequence. I have it set to motor drive, in case a spin happens, but I will rattle off shots one at a time otherwise. Learn what you want to have in the shot, then wait for it to develop in the view finder. Hit the shutter the moment just before it happens. If you machine gun it, I often find the shot I want was inbetween two frames.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    Do you ever get bored of taking really amazing bike racing shots, race, after race, after race???

:Dthumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Fantastic shots, out of the 6-8 gigs how many good shots will you get. I'm just getting into photography and am mad on motorbikes so want to get some good shots, here in the uk i go to a small track and you can get within 15 feet of the racing, at the moment i have got a Fujifilm S7000 and hope this will manage. what is the best way to get good shots like yours, i thought about manually focusing on a set point and setting on continuous shooting and hope i get a few good ones any help would be much appreciated
    Regards
    Gary
    Hey Gary,

Here's a pretty close to accurate breakdown of the 3day weekend shooting totals (the GIG thing is just a rough idea as I tend to go by the number of 2GIG cards I use, but I'll swap one out if there's say 10 shots left on a card between breaks etc).

The keepers are defined (for me) by looking at them and knowing that I have to do very liitle or no work to them. I have others that I may go back to later to see if there is something that can be extracted from the image, something I missed or something quiky, but it's not a priority and it may not happen for a whiles.

Fri: Shot total 500 Keepers: 380
    Sat: Shot total 476 Keepers: 358
    Sun: Shot total 547 Keepers: 360

As with Bill, I very rarely use "H" mode and tend to frame and do everything I need in one shot, plus, again, it's all about saving yourself work. Having to go through 8 or 9 frames of a single "action" is tiring, so the less work you do at the end the safer your sanity is going to be (especially if you got to sort, cull and edit and upload for a mag on the other side of the Atlantic who is 8 hours ahead of you and goes to press on Monday...), so the trick is to get it right first time. I use a combination of prefocus and AF, the over the crest of the hill shots with the bikes in the air are prefocus which you can set up on the 500 and then with the twirl of the metal band on the lens put the focus back to where you need it instantly, or you can program a button on the back of the 1D to accomplish the same thing.

agobert_inf3.jpg

• Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    Hey Gary,

Here's a pretty close to accurate breakdown of the 3day weekend shooting totals (the GIG thing is just a rough idea as I tend to go by the number of 2GIG cards I use, but I'll swap one out if there's say 10 shots left on a card between breaks etc).

The keepers are defined (for me) by looking at them and knowing that I have to do very liitle or no work to them. I have others that I may go back to later to see if there is something that can be extracted from the image, something I missed or something quiky, but it's not a priority and it may not happen for a whiles.

Fri: Shot total 500 Keepers: 380
    Sat: Shot total 476 Keepers: 358
    Sun: Shot total 547 Keepers: 360

As with Bill, I very rarely use "H" mode and tend to frame and do everything I need in one shot, plus, again, it's all about saving yourself work. Having to go through 8 or 9 frames of a single "action" is tiring, so the less work you do at the end the safer your sanity is going to be (especially if you got to sort, cull and edit and upload for a mag on the other side of the Atlantic who is 8 hours ahead of you and goes to press on Monday...), so the trick is to get it right first time. I use a combination of prefocus and AF, the over the crest of the hill shots with the bikes in the air are prefocus which you can set up on the 500 and then with the twirl of the metal band on the lens put the focus back to where you need it instantly, or you can program a button on the back of the 1D to accomplish the same thing.

agobert_inf3.jpg

Thanks Andrew
    Not sure now if my camera will be good enough to get close ups like yours
    the lens is the equivalent to about 35mm-210mm but you can get a tele converter for £100($180) . I will post as soon as i get some good shots (could be a long time). Tonight i am off to a beer festival called Rail Ale Festival and is set in a round house it is where the steam engines are driven on to a turn table and can be sent into different parking bays it is the only one left in the Uk still in working order so i am taking my camera
    Thanks again
    Gary
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Thanks Andrew
    Not sure now if my camera will be good enough to get close ups like yours
    the lens is the equivalent to about 35mm-210mm but you can get a tele converter for £100($180) . I will post as soon as i get some good shots (could be a long time). Tonight i am off to a beer festival called Rail Ale Festival and is set in a round house it is where the steam engines are driven on to a turn table and can be sent into different parking bays it is the only one left in the Uk still in working order so i am taking my camera
    Thanks again
    Gary
    You're welcome.

I'm actually originally from Bath in the UK and have lived in the US for 15 years. I have fond memories of many a "dodgy" evening after the Bath Beer Festival held by CAMRA!

Have a good time and if you ever need help, just let me know!

Andrew

• Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    You're welcome.

I'm actually originally from Bath in the UK and have lived in the US for 15 years. I have fond memories of many a "dodgy" evening after the Bath Beer Festival held by CAMRA!

Have a good time and if you ever need help, just let me know!

Andrew
    Thanks for the help, did you ever visit Darley Moor race track when you lived in the UK thats where i will have a go at some shots you can get really close to the action
    Gary