Options

Sunny Day

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited April 19, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Had some fun in the backyard with my dogs. Was practicing using my SB-600 Speedlight with fill-flash on a bright day. Three dogs are very difficult to take pictures of so I am happy with some of these shots.

C&C welcome and appreciated.

Is that my bone??

516388904_GYphj-L.jpg

I got it! I got my bone!

515382443_8U57w-L.jpg

Don't even think about taking my bone buddy!

515384660_ToVVF-L.jpg

What part of what I just said did you not understand?

515415715_ypJ6C-L.jpg

Don't even think about getting near me with that thing!

515392875_o8qDU-L.jpg

I'm serious!

516150408_EUpX4-L.jpg

Hey Addie... what you got there?

515381779_JqZ4c-L.jpg

Do you mind if I borrow your toy Addie?

515386926_nEkbN-L-1.jpg

You want it? Try to take it... I dare you!

515395224_ihhjF-L-1.jpg

Too late... I think I'll just eat it.

515394750_mTF7T-L.jpg

Please... Can you at least share a little with me?

515398479_exhuF-L.jpg

This guy just won't take a hint, will he?

515402874_sWkie-L-1.jpg

Hey! Where'd my bone go?

515399278_dQLc7-L-1.jpg

Forget it... I give up.

515411634_vN5Ny-L.jpg

Finally... some peace and quiet.

515413744_5BRxq-L.jpg

I can't believe I survived!

515405922_2gxcD-L-1.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Very entertaining captions and great stories in the images. Overall, I like the composition and the colors of these shots. The lighting is excellent, IMO. The shots are crisp and the dog's faces and expressions are captured well.

I do find the background to be distracting in some of the shots. While they do show context--revealing the dogs at play in their own yard--I sometimes find my eyes wandering away from the dogs. I think it would be hard to do anything with these, but if you re-shoot what do you think about trying a smaller DOF to blur the background? Or try to position the dogs (not always possible with moving subjects rolleyes1.gif ) where you eliminate some of the shrubs and other plants. I'm no expert, but I recognize these things b/c I see them in my shots often and am working on those issues. The shots against the bright green grass are nice, I think.

In #2, you could try cropping quite a bit to eliminate the bed and make the dog the main subject.

It's hard to choose a favorite, but I especially like the shot with the two dogs' heads together. You really captured some emotion in that one!

Nice job--I enjoyed this series quite a lot.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    frewhlfrewhl Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Well done, placement and captions.

My new thing is photo albums.
    I am buying up the cheap 4X6 albums and bringing stacks of photos to work.
    I have spare space and time to lay them all out and put them in some kind of order.

Alike
    North - South
    E - W
    Chronological
    Boats/ships
    Planes/balloons
    bridges/roads

Who remembers photography is fun?
    I can't believe I left so many shots unprinted for so long.
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Nice shots... I like #1 and #6 best
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    I love the perspective of this series. Wonderful photos, wonderful captions...

Good job!

Thanks! I tried to get down to their level while shooting. Tried some different angles and was really happy with the results. I spent a couple of hours just horsing around with them and probably fired off about 200 shots. I ended up with about 30 really good shots. LIke I said, it wasn't easy shooting 3 very active dogs!!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Very entertaining captions and great stories in the images. Overall, I like the composition and the colors of these shots. The lighting is excellent, IMO. The shots are crisp and the dog's faces and expressions are captured well.

I do find the background to be distracting in some of the shots. While they do show context--revealing the dogs at play in their own yard--I sometimes find my eyes wandering away from the dogs. I think it would be hard to do anything with these, but if you re-shoot what do you think about trying a smaller DOF to blur the background? Or try to position the dogs (not always possible with moving subjects rolleyes1.gif ) where you eliminate some of the shrubs and other plants. I'm no expert, but I recognize these things b/c I see them in my shots often and am working on those issues. The shots against the bright green grass are nice, I think.

In #2, you could try cropping quite a bit to eliminate the bed and make the dog the main subject.

It's hard to choose a favorite, but I especially like the shot with the two dogs' heads together. You really captured some emotion in that one!

Nice job--I enjoyed this series quite a lot.

Lauren

Thanks for the comments Lauren. Yeah... most of these I shot at f/4 or around that to get a narrow DOF, but a couple I did shoot at f/8 because I was trying to get a larger focus to capture some action shots. I am still learning to shoot action.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    frewhl wrote:
    Well done, placement and captions.

My new thing is photo albums.
    I am buying up the cheap 4X6 albums and bringing stacks of photos to work.
    I have spare space and time to lay them all out and put them in some kind of order.

Alike
    North - South
    E - W
    Chronological
    Boats/ships
    Planes/balloons
    bridges/roads

Who remembers photography is fun?
    I can't believe I left so many shots unprinted for so long.

Thanks. My wife is going to put together a few themed photo books and this was for one of them.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    Roadkill wrote:
    Nice shots... I like #1 and #6 best

#1 is Meatball. He is the high strung one of the pack. He also thinks he's the boss. I have another male pug, Bubba, who just turned 13 that has always been the alpha male. However, Meatball is now trying to assert himself as the alpha. Quite interesting at times to watch them interact.

#6 is Potato, Meatball's sister. She is the sweetheart of the bunch. That is really not her making a mad face. Her face skin is so loose that it droops over like that when she looks down so it gives the appearance that she is giving you the stink eye!!

BTW, the lab is Addison. She is the alpha female. She keeps everyone in line for me. It's great to watch her with the pugs because she is so much bigger than them but so tolerant of all the annoying things they do to her. Meatball is absolutely in love with her. He never leaves her side which I think Addie gets a little frustrated with at times but all she does is whine to me so I can give her some alone time.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Great series Cuban. Good job with that flash.

515837665_wbnzp-S.jpg

Dan rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great series Cuban. Good job with that flash.

515837665_wbnzp-S.jpg

Dan rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Dan. I am really loving my flash. It has really improved my photos when I get it right.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Thanks Dan. I am really loving my flash. It has really improved my photos when I get it right.

I just purchased the 580EX II