Options

red eye with flash

rhdesignsrhdesigns Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited April 20, 2009 in Technique
Im kinda new to shooting with flash in the dark. Im using a d300, with the sb-900 flash and trying to shoot motorcycle races at night. I was wondering if there is anyway that i can get away from having red eyes in the shots?
thanks
ryan

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 18, 2009
    Yes.

Move your flash off your camera about 15 feet to your right or left.eek7.gif

On a more serious note, the red eye occurs because your flash tube is very near to your shooting axis, and the rider's pupils are widely dilated to allow them to see in the dim light.

You can correct the red eye with software after the fact, but to avoid getting it when shooting with on camera flash after dark will probably not be possible. The distance between you and your subjects makes the angle between the flash and the shooting axis get closer and closer as you shoot from farther away from your subjects.

Really Right Stuff does make flash brackets to raise the flash 8 - 15 inches or so higher than your telephoto lens axis, and wildlife shooters do find them helpful, but they tend to be shooting slowly from a heavy tripod, and I doubt you would like the imbalance raising your flash 15 inches or so. It will create an unwieldy package for fast hand held tracking at a motorcycle event.

Some Point & Shoots use a preflash to constrict the pupil before the real exposure, but this will not work for a shooting a high speed motosports event.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rhdesignsrhdesigns Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    thanks for the help. I had a feeling that it may be tough to get rid of. If i ever get a chance to fabricate some kind of stand for the flash that i can easily place 15 feet away, i will try it.
    thanks again
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    Actually 5 feet will probably do it, but unless you have a way to control the flash output wirelessly, I don't think you probably want to shoot manual flash for motorsports shooting. I could be wrong, but iTTL(Nikon) or ETTL)Canon ) makes is so much easier.

Pocket Wizard has released their new FlexTT5 radio ETTL- iTTL flash triggers and they look rather interesting, and would let you do just that. I am in the process of evaluating mine, I just took delivery of a pair this week.

Don't use a light stand in a crowd, it might get knocked over. Use a Justin clamp That's what Joe McNally calls them - you can hang a speedlite almost anywhere with them. With a pair of FLexTT5s, you can put your light wherever you need it. If you go to the B&W website, you can just enter Justin clamp in their search box and find it immediately. That is how I found the link above for you.

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    What about learning to bounce the flash instead of using it directly? This flash looks like it can do that. It will fix this problem and take your portraits to a completely different level. If you do make one investment in equipment, consider some sort of flash diffuser. Explore these directions first and you'll make a big improvement while eliminating red eye completely.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    I did not think there would be a ceiling bounce off of at an outdoor motocycle track.

Bouncing will work off of a wall, though, or a sheet of fabric, like a Californian Sun Bounce panel.

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Oops, didn't read closely enough. Still a diffuser would be a good thing to have in your tool box.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    I've seen a sports post were the photographer used a monopd and mounted the flash toward the bottom of the pod with a superclamp. With the D300 I think you can cammander the flash so you dont need a cable or popper.
    It did a wonderful job, highlighted the face and eliminated that downward shadow you get from wearing helmets.

Good Luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    Here is the link to Randy's original post. here

Looks like the pictures are no longer available. There is no fence at ground level along the sidelines at a football game, but at a motocross track I suspect there is some safety fencing that might interfere.

If there is no fencing, clamping a flash to your monopod your camera is on, about 3 feet further down, might actually work for you. May need an OEM off camera cord to automate your flash or something.

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Here is the link to Randy's original post. here

Looks like the pictures are no longer available. There is no fence at ground level along the sidelines at a football game, but at a motocross track I suspect there is some safety fencing that might interfere.

If there is no fencing, clamping a flash to your monopod your camera is on, about 3 feet further down, might actually work for you. May need an OEM off camera cord to automate your flash or something.

Thanks Pathfinder, here is a link to the tutorial
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3737879
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    That's It!!

Great stuff!!clap.gif