AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

Comments

• digitaladamdigitaladam Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2009
    Help with Captions/IPTC?
    wellman wrote:
    I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher! AlbumFetcher is a little pet project of mine which I've decided to make freely available to the SmugMug community. I've received amazing amounts of help (and ideas) through these forums, and this my way of saying thanks. It's a simple little app that serves two main functions:

1. Download one or many SmugMug galleries at once
    2. Embed captions and keywords into your downloaded images' IPTC headers

AlbumFetcher should run on Win2000, WinXP and above. It has been reported to run under Wine on Linux and through Parallels on a Mac. It's a single file, so it's easily portable and doesn't need to be installed. AlbumFetcher is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This DGrin thread will be the project's home page. Feedback is extremely appreciated, and if there are bugs and/or other issues (as there always are), please let me know here. This is a hobby, so I can't hope to live up to SmugMug's standard of customer service, but I will try to help you out if you're having an issue with the software. One word of caution - beware of the total number of bytes you download. You could easily run up against your monthly bandwith limit.

Again, this is yours to use forever for free. However, if you're a fan of my little app and feel so inclined, you can send me the electronic equivalent of the adult beverage of your choice here. mwink.gif

Enjoy!
    -Greg

Current version: v0.3.3 - Application | Source

How Does it Work?
    1. Download AlbumFetcher (zip file) with the link above.
    2. Use WinZip or your favorite zip program to extract AlbumFetcher.exe (the program) to the folder of your choice (maybe the desktop).
    3. Double-click the AlbumFetcher program icon.
    4. If you're an account owner: In the top-right corner, enter your SmugMug ID and password. If you're a guest: Switch the login type selector to Guest. Then enter the SmugMug ID of the account you'd like to work with. You'll only have access to listed public galleries. (SmugMug ID means either your email address which is registered with SmugMug or the yourname part of yourname.smugmug.com. Your ID and password go directly to SmugMug; there's nobody listening in between.)
    5. Click List Albums. A listing of all your albums will appear.
    6. In the Download Options box (on the right), pick a folder to save albums to. Also pick the image sizes and other options as you wish.
    7. Click the list to select albums for download. Use Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select more than one.
    8. Click Fetch Albums. AlbumFetcher will now download your requested albums at the size you specified.
    9. Have a tasty beverage.

UPDATE, Nov 14 2006:
    I've incorporated some of Pat Kane's requests and some improvements of my own into v0.2. New features include:
    1. Datetime stamp for each line in log file
    2. Files with same original name are now handled successfully (an underscore is prepended to the second file's name).
    3. Users can optionally skip over previously downloaded images (helpful when a download fails and you want to start over, but not re-download all the successful images).
    4. Category/subcategory info is shown as a field in the list control.
    5. A thumbnail of the image currently being downloaded is displayed.
    6. Total time statistics are recorded when a job is completed successfully.
    7. MD5 hashes are now compared. Files that fail the comparison are left alone, but a note is made in the log file.
    Again, enjoy! :D
    -Greg

UPDATE, Nov 16 2006:

Pat Kane pointed out a bug in the folder selector, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.2.1. Thanks, Pat! :D

UPDATE, Jan 11 2008:

I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher v0.3. There are several improvements in this release. Read on for details.
    1. Multiple login options - Users may now login to SmugMug as account owner, guest, or guest with site password. If you're uncomfortable with other people being able to bulk-download your images, set your external linking option (in gallery customization) to "No."
    2. Album-level password support - Guests may download password-protected galleries (with the proper password of course).
    3. Selectable image size for download - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available.
    4. Video support - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available. Support is also included for legacy mpeg-1 videos.
    5. As inspired by SmugMug, AlbumFetcher is stretchy!
    6. No more runtime errors - (Fingers crossed.) AlbumFetcher has essentially been completely rewritten. I found a few scenarios that caused the app to crash during my development process, and they've been eliminated. I've successfully downloaded thousands of images while testing. Let me know if you still have runtime problems.

UPDATE, Jan 12 2008:

Scott Walter pointed out a bug which caused the app to crash when downloading GIFs, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.3.1. Thanks, Scott! :D

UPDATE, Jan 29 2008:

A few people were having similar issues. Basically AlbumFetcher was bombing out if it tried to download an image which was missing (for whatever rare reason) on SmugMug. This is now handled more gracefully in new Version 0.3.2 (link above) - AlbumFetcher will stop the download and report the error (instead of crashing).

UPDATE, Mar 3 2008:

AlbumFetcher is now compatible with SmugMug's security changes (use of keys).

UPDATE, Dec 15 2008:

It's been a pleasure over the past two years to see AlbumFetcher become a useful little download utility for members of the SmugMug family. The users of AlbumFetcher deserve a product that will continue to evolve and keep up with the latest SmugMug features (hidden photos, SmugVault, etc). To use the catchphrase circulating at work, I no longer have the personal bandwidth to keep AlbumFetcher current.

This thread is a call for help for someone to take the AlbumFetcher reins. The code is simple Microsoft Visual C++, using MFC. If there's anyone interested in taking the project over as-is or porting it to something cross-platform, let me know.

Thanks, and thanks again to those who've had kind words and future ideas for AlbumFetcher.

Again, enjoy! :D
    -Greg

Hi Greg,
    I am new to Smug Mug but my company has created a partnership with them... we are a video production company that deals with lots of photos and I am using SM to organize photos. Clients can upload them, sort them, caption them and then we pull them down...
    I got your program (which is very cool), to batch download, but the are not staying in the order they are re-arranged and I can't find the IPTC / Captions. I've been testing for hours... can you help?

Adam@digitaldesignvideo.com
    thanks
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Hi Greg,
    I am new to Smug Mug but my company has created a partnership with them... we are a video production company that deals with lots of photos and I am using SM to organize photos. Clients can upload them, sort them, caption them and then we pull them down...
    I got your program (which is very cool), to batch download, but the are not staying in the order they are re-arranged and I can't find the IPTC / Captions. I've been testing for hours... can you help?

Adam@digitaldesignvideo.com
    thanks

Adam,

AlbumFetcher does not currently support any kind of sorting order. The files will be arranged by filename or whatever your operating system defaults to. This functionality could be added, as I assume SmugMug makes that information available in the API; it's just not implemented.

AlbumFetcher embeds the IPTC and caption info in the JPEGs directly. They should be viewable by an image viewer which displays this information. If you wanted the captions written to some sort of text file, that functionality could be added to the app.

Thanks for the question; hope this helps.

-Greg
  • digitaladamdigitaladam Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 15, 2009
    Thanks Greg for getting back so quickly. I appreciate it. I'll play around some more to see what I can some up with...
    Adam

wellman wrote:
    Adam,

AlbumFetcher does not currently support any kind of sorting order. The files will be arranged by filename or whatever your operating system defaults to. This functionality could be added, as I assume SmugMug makes that information available in the API; it's just not implemented.

AlbumFetcher embeds the IPTC and caption info in the JPEGs directly. They should be viewable by an image viewer which displays this information. If you wanted the captions written to some sort of text file, that functionality could be added to the app.

Thanks for the question; hope this helps.

-Greg
  • raamraam Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    RapidFetcher - cross platform AlbumFetcher
    Hey,

I just wanted to put a shameless plug for RapidFetcher for Mac/Linux users out there. It should also work on Windows since it is built with Adobe AIR (but probably not as good as AlbumFetcher)

Ram
  • thegoosethegoose Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Feature request
    It would be great if you could retain the Category/Sub-Category of a Gallery (using Folders and Sub-Folders). I have gone to great lengths to organize my Galleries by Year/Month (custom Category/Sub-Category), and having this feature would be unbelievably helpful.
  • shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    thegoose wrote:
    It would be great if you could retain the Category/Sub-Category of a Gallery (using Folders and Sub-Folders). I have gone to great lengths to organize my Galleries by Year/Month (custom Category/Sub-Category), and having this feature would be unbelievably helpful.

Mine won't connect for some reason. Did something change that requires an update?
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Mine won't connect for some reason. Did something change that requires an update?
    Just checked my V0.3.3 and it logged in as owner okay. Be sure to use SM account ID, not email.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009

Same here, smugmug ID is an email address... i've been using the same creds, worked earlier today, didn't work last night, not working tonight at all. ARG1
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Same here, smugmug ID is an email address... i've been using the same creds, worked earlier today, didn't work last night, not working tonight at all. ARG1
    Tried again tonight. Worked fine, both login as owner and download. ne_nau.gif
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • SperendSperend Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Error downloading
    I can connect to my account correctly, however fetching images results in this error: "GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsFile call". I get this error with both my accounts, and it does not matter how I log in (guest/owner).

Is there a change in the API or something? Does someone else also know about this problem?
    edited April 7, 2009
    Sperend wrote:
    I can connect to my account correctly, however fetching images results in this error: "GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsFile call". I get this error with both my accounts, and it does not matter how I log in (guest/owner).

Is there a change in the API or something? Does someone else also know about this problem?

Just checked, and I'm getting the same error. I've seen announcements about SmugMug doing some work, but didn't think it would affect the API. If the problem persists, I'll dig into the code.ne_nau.gif

To the Smug peeps, have there been any changes to the API that would break apps? I'm sure I'm using a ye olde version of the API. Thanks!
  • voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    Have no idea how to start HELP
    Downloaded the program, unzippped. Have no idea what to click on to open program and start?

Marty

wellman wrote:
    Just checked, and I'm getting the same error. I've seen announcements about SmugMug doing some work, but didn't think it would affect the API. If the problem persists, I'll dig into the code.ne_nau.gif

To the Smug peeps, have there been any changes to the API that would break apps? I'm sure I'm using a ye olde version of the API. Thanks!
    edited April 10, 2009
    voicelit wrote:
    Downloaded the program, unzippped. Have no idea what to click on to open program and start?

Marty

Make sure you got the program link, and not the code link. The program is just one file - AlbumFetcher.exe.
  • everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    Thank you SO much for this! I've been thinking about returning to a free site for photosharing so that I could use Carbonite or Backblaze for back up (and not have to pay for 2 services), but now I see there is an easy way to retrieve my photos from Smugmug too.

Are there any limitations on what it can retrieve? I have already tested it with JPG and PNG. How about movie files and document files (I use SmugVault)?
    Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
    edited April 10, 2009
    Thank you SO much for this! I've been thinking about returning to a free site for photosharing so that I could use Carbonite or Backblaze for back up (and not have to pay for 2 services), but now I see there is an easy way to retrieve my photos from Smugmug too.

Are there any limitations on what it can retrieve? I have already tested it with JPG and PNG. How about movie files and document files (I use SmugVault)?

Anything visible in a gallery (so photos and movie files) are accessible via AlbumFetcher. SmugVault files are not accessible, but this is just because I wrote AF before SmugVault had been released. I don't have the time these days to update the code, but it's available in the first post, and someone could do it. There are no limits on what you cen retrieve.
    edited April 10, 2009
    Thanks, still not clear
    I'm on a different computer right now. Different house. But tdhis is real important and a time crunch. Slide show for a dog park funraiser tomorrow nite.
    Do you mean once you have Downloaded the zip and opened that I should click on file the program file not the code?Or does that happen somewhere else?
    I downloaded a zip that opened tons of stuff. But nothing presented itself as.exe?
    Please,I need real slow baby goo goo talk. I'm running XP

Marty
    (dotfur.com)

wellman wrote:
    Make sure you got the program link, and not the code link. The program is just one file - AlbumFetcher.exe.
  • everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    In the original post, did you click on Source instead of Application? I clicked on Application and only got the program.
    Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
    edited April 10, 2009
    Thanks More questions
    On different computer, think I clicked on Program not source. What would you get if you clicked on source ? Downloaded the program on this computer: opened and worked fine.
    Problem : how do you specify what gallery you want to download ? Seems to just start downloading every thing. I mean after the first gathering of album list.
    Also won't abort. Starts filling up this person's wee laptop with allmy albums.
    I need an idea of what to expect : 1st it does this, then it does this, then this happens, then the album is located somewhere,etc.Right now each step is cause for panic.

Marty

In the original post, did you click on Source instead of Application? I clicked on Application and only got the program.
    edited April 10, 2009
    voicelit wrote:
    On different computer, think I clicked on Program not source. What would you get if you clicked on source ? Downloaded the program on this computer: opened and worked fine.
    Problem : how do you specify what gallery you want to download ? Seems to just start downloading every thing. I mean after the first gathering of album list.
    Also won't abort. Starts filling up this person's wee laptop with allmy albums.
    I need an idea of what to expect : 1st it does this, then it does this, then this happens, then the album is located somewhere,etc.Right now each step is cause for panic.

Marty

When you run AlbumFetcher, you must first log in with your SmugMug UserID/email and password. Then you'll be presented with a list of galleries. Select the galleries you want (use the Control button to select more than one), and then start the download.
    edited April 10, 2009
    thanks, how search album name
    Thanks.I have a lot of albums.Anyway to locate in th album fetcher list a specific album without scrolling end hunting ?

Marty

wellman wrote:
    When you run AlbumFetcher, you must first log in with your SmugMug UserID/email and password. Then you'll be presented with a list of galleries. Select the galleries you want (use the Control button to select more than one), and then start the download.
  • WIttzzzWIttzzz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2009
    Problem Logging on
    I get the following error in the log

Internet Exception: 12016

When I run the api url as it appears in the log I get a good return.

Download failed on file https://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.login.withPassword&APIKey=gcmpLhfmdqnLIjmn5FyT5ELQcc01VObf&EmailAddress=xxxx@gmail.com&Password=xxxxxxi. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    Removed email and password.

Any ideas
    edited April 20, 2009
    WIttzzz wrote:
    I get the following error in the log

Internet Exception: 12016

When I run the api url as it appears in the log I get a good return.

Download failed on file https://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.login.withPassword&APIKey=gcmpLhfmdqnLIjmn5FyT5ELQcc01VObf&EmailAddress=xxxx@gmail.com&Password=xxxxxxi. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    Removed email and password.

Any ideas

What platform? ear.gif
    edited April 21, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    What platform? ear.gif

XP Pro
  • SperendSperend Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    wellman wrote:

I still get the same error. Did you already figured out what the problem is?
    edited April 21, 2009
    WIttzzz wrote:
    XP Pro

Are you able to get any galleries downloaded at all? I suppose I'm asking whether the problem is general, or specific to some set of circumstances.
    edited April 21, 2009
    Sperend wrote:
    I still get the same error. Did you already figured out what the problem is?

Other folks seem to not be having that problem, so let's see... What platform are you running on?
    edited April 21, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Are you able to get any galleries downloaded at all? I suppose I'm asking whether the problem is general, or specific to some set of circumstances.

No, cannot get any galleries. If I login as guest without a password I can download but then I get the photos with the watermarks on it.
    edited April 21, 2009
    WIttzzz wrote:
    No, cannot get any galleries. If I login as guest without a password I can download but then I get the photos with the watermarks on it.

When you login (as owner), are you using your email address or your smugmug userid? Try whichever you haven't.

My next question will be whether you have any non-alphanumeric characters in your password. You don't have to answer, but it's possible that SmugMug handles them fine and my app doesn't.
    edited April 21, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    When you login (as owner), are you using your email address or your smugmug userid? Try whichever you haven't.

My next question will be whether you have any non-alphanumeric characters in your password. You don't have to answer, but it's possible that SmugMug handles them fine and my app doesn't.

I've tried both Email and userid. Password is numeric and alpha. The strange this is when I pull the url from the log and put it into the browse I get a good return.
    edited April 21, 2009
    WIttzzz wrote:
    I've tried both Email and userid. Password is numeric and alpha. The strange this is when I pull the url from the log and put it into the browse I get a good return.

Do you have any firewall software that might be interfering? If I remember correctly, the login goes out via https, while the guest might not. I'm grasping at straws, though.